Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Distrachi
    yeah the 7135 is nice. MP3, SD slot, removable batteries are all great but I'd still give all that up for the pocketability of the current treo form factor. I think the Treo form factor is excellent. . . it still impresses me after 7 months of daily use. I hope the next treo uses a new form factor but keeps the basic designs of the current one.
    What form factor is? I'm sorry but english is not my mother language.
    Originally posted by tejedor

What form factor is? I'm sorry but english is not my mother language.
    Salut Tejedor

En franšais; la forme globale.

Auf Deutsch; die gesamte Form.
    i.e. - Wiring of earpeace to main connector + relevant SW to support such common issues as recognition of hands-free to auto enable light, and the rest of the trivial cell issues related to these sets.
    Here's what I'd like:

1) Same form-factor.
    2) Slightly larger screen with 320x320 resolution. Also, screen should be based on a better technology offering richer colors (e.g. - perfectly sealed reflective or transflective).
    3) Palm OS 5.1 (the version before the one where they scrapped Graffiti for Graffiti 2).
    4) ARM processor (#3 makes this necessary).
    5) Tilt keys on left half of keyboard in the opposite direction (like a Blackberry), making it easier to thumb-type.
    6) Replaceable battery.
    7) SDIO slot.
    8) Tri-mode and offered through both Verizon and Sprint.

Scott
    Has anyone mentioned the jog "rocker". I wish it had a bigger better-quality one, or frankly, I like a wheel better.. like what RIM uses. I used to spin that all day long without even thinking about it, whereas the Treo rocker is not very ergonomic.

Could also use an Esc button next to it.
    I think the current form factor has to go, I think it would be great if they made a treo that is only the size of the current screen that would have a slide out keyboard, similair to the tungsten slideout silkscreen.
    I think the form factor right now is perfect. The only things I would really pay extra to upgrade are:

- SDIO slot
    - ARM Processor
    Here's my wish list...
    Smaller form factor. The 300 is to big! It doesn't have to be so small it will fall through a hole in my pocket. Just a little slimmer in all 3 dimensions would be fantastic

Replaceable Battery, or longer life battery would be acceptable.
    Use either a better quality plastic, or go to Magnesium How sweet would that be! I'd be willing to pay the premium.

Build in some way to know that there is a missed call or VM or SMS with out add in apps or having to look at the screen. (I know there are apps out there to do this, but this is a Cell Phone! I shouldn't have to buy extra apps to make it function like every other cell phone on the market!) Maybe a 2nd LED or alternating color? Or like every other phone

Speaking of beep/vibrate. Make the ringer volume louder and vibrate stronger. With the phone in the handspring holster on my belt I can hardly hear the phone ring in my lab at work, I can feel it sometimes but in my car even that gets missed.

With out the following upgrades I won't be buying the next Handspring phone... Samsung will be getting my money instead.
    320/320 screen!
    Bluetooth!
    Faster Processor!
    Expansion module (not as important to me as the above 3 are)

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, these features and SMS are what is keeping me from fully enjoying the phone now.
    I'm going to amend my wishlist:

1) higher quality jog rocker, or pref a jog dial.
    2) esc button by the jog rocker.
    3) swappable battery. so that I can buy or make a gigantic 4000mAh battery without trashing the treo case.. or so that one of those inductive charging mats can be used.
    4) like ferrarinu says, there should be a better multi-colored led. maybe use a pwm instead of flashing.. you know, so it throbs or something instead of just flashing. it's not very informative as it is right now.
    While all the bells and whistles would be nice, and I presume HS is working on something with a lot of them, my primary wish is that HS puts the next version through an absolute torture test. It seems the most common complaint about the treo line is a degree of fragility. I have no complaint about any HS product I've owned, but I hope, just to quiet the complainers, the next version has been rigorously tested and found to stand up to most any accident, or hostile environent.

JMHO

Gargoyle
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by gargoylejps
    While all the bells and whistles would be nice, and I presume HS is working on something with a lot of them, my primary wish is that HS puts the next version through an absolute torture test. It seems the most common complaint about the treo line is a degree of fragility. I have no complaint about any HS product I've owned, but I hope, just to quiet the complainers, the next version has been rigorously tested and found to stand up to most any accident, or hostile environent.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    I fully agree with you, Gargoyle.

The abnormally high failure rate of the Treo communicator devices (hardware-wise) was indeed a bitter learning experience for HS.

Whilst kudos should be given to Handspring for the spontaneous response and customer service with prompt replacement of the defective Treo units, sometimes repeatedly, it does not reflect well on the quality control at the production stage. Substantial amount of revenue is lost for HS to replace these units; it cause distress and inconvenience to the customers. Handspring also suffers from loss of customers' confidence in its hitherto well-acclaimed Visor range of products.

In today's competitive marketplace, product quality, reliability and customer service can make or break a brand-name.

As Treo users, we hope that Handspring's next upgrade device will restore our faith and confidence in Handspring.

Timbuktu
    <!-- sig -->
    <div>
    <font color="blue"><font size="1"><b>&quot;A Decade Ago, Simply Palm. Now, its a Palm for All.&quot;</b></font></font><br />
    <a href="http://www.phlog.net/user/thimbuktu" target="_blank"><b>Thimbuktu Phlog</a> </font></a>
    </div>
    <!-- / sig -->
    While I do believe the Treo, mostly initially, had more failures than an normal pda, I attribute a large porition of this to HS doing what no one had done before. That is making a truly phone centric smart phone. Also, I am very reluctant to read much into the many postings complaining about HS as message boards and the like are always disproportionately filled with people on the edge of an issue, either stout HS devotees, suppose I might fall in this category, or those absolutely disgusted with their devices. I have been happy with my HS experience and believe the next Treo will be a quantum leap forward in pda technology.

JMHO
    Gargoyle
    Does anybody know?
    During the CEO presentation at the start of the earnings conference (or maybe the Q&A at the end!) the CEO said "The form-factor is still evolving". This implies the "new TREOs" (or whatever they're going to be called - I personally don't think "TREO") are still in early development - it may easily be that the INTERNALS of the new communicators have been finalized but how the whole package is ... well ... packaged has not. That is, it could be some time before they're "out there" (indeed, there was SO little talk about the "new communicators" that I personally think they're at LEAST a full quarter away).

The earnings conference may still be available at http://web.servicebureau.net/conf/me...1_16_2003_HAND
    I thought you guys would find this cool and interesting.
    http://www.tiqit.com/eightythree.html
    Don't forget the FCC publishes information regarding new phones long before you see them in stores (months). Therefore I'd be shocked to see a new handset from Handspring before the late summer/early fall.
    While the technology may, or may not, be close to completion for a new Treo model, I think some delay may be due to a change in distribution strategy by Handspring. I believe they are focussing on carrier branded phones, like the Sprint branded Treo 300. Obviously building the relationships and ironing out all the legal technicalities to make these relationships work takes some time. Still, this seems the most viable route for HS's future.

Gargoyle
    handspring is being left behind - stopping sales of the 90 and 180 - what does that tell you about the success of those 2 ?
    If you hold a 270 and Tungsten T or W together the palm pda is superior in terms of quality, screen, colour etc. Handspring should be bloody glad that Palm do not seem to be interested in marketing them as phones otherwise they'd be history...
    I love my treo but it's reliability is second rate and its flimsy compared to the palm offerings...Handspring desperately needs a higher quality new 270 and quick
    Originally posted by murrayalex
    handspring is being left behind - stopping sales of the 90 and 180 - what does that tell you about the success of those 2 ?
    One thing it tells the market out there is that people prefer color screens to bw ones... hence the demise of 180.

For Treo90 its supposed to be a PDA, yet it took over the lack of PDA technicality from its Treo parents. Namingly, a 12-bit screen low-res screen! Nobody in the PDA market sells 12-bit screens. Secondly its the price... it price too close to the technically superior Sony 615. Treo90 is really too expensive also its screen has design flaws (obvious one too)

Metta
    Kelvin Wong
    Originally posted by NiceGuy

One thing it tells the market out there is that people prefer color screens to bw ones... hence the demise of 180.

For Treo90 its supposed to be a PDA, yet it took over the lack of PDA technicality from its Treo parents. Namingly, a 12-bit screen low-res screen! Nobody in the PDA market sells 12-bit screens. Secondly its the price... it price too close to the technically superior Sony 615. Treo90 is really too expensive also its screen has design flaws (obvious one too)

Metta
    Kelvin Wong
    A couple of comments:

1) I agree about the Treo 180. With Sprint, Verizon, etc. all selling color phones at $150, Handspring is hard-pressed to continue to sell the 180. That being said, I'm not 100% certain it's a great idea. The Treo's appeal more to the business crowd thanks to its superior email (thanks to the thumbboard) and PIM functionality. The business crowd often is concerned more about battery life and a grayscale model should offer much better battery life. As a result, a 180 under Sprint might not be a bad idea. But they'd have to price it right. Right now they have the 300 way overpriced, IMO.

2) The Palm m130 also has a 12-bit screen, despite their attempts to confuse the consumer on this issue.

3) I suspect that Handspring makes huge profit margins on the Treo 300 when sold at $500. The Treo 90 is essentially the same device except for the cell phone circuitry but adds an SDIO slot. I'd say the difference in manufacturing costs between the two is fairly small. At a time when Handspring's financial situation is bleak, it makes sense that they would drop the disconnected (smaller profit margin) items and focus on the connected devices.

What's really sad is that if I am right about Handspring making big profits on the Treo 300, just where is this company squandering all of its money (that new building was one and I'm sure that salaries are another).

The future doesn't look so great for them, which may be sad considering that there aren't a whole lot of companies out there who seem to be interested in making phones with thumbpads.

Scott
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast