Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
    Looking at the trial and travails of webOS after the fact it is easy to forget what the situation was back in the day. The single biggest mistake was likely going head to head with Verizon's monster Droid push. Back in '09 Android wasn't what it is today and it was really VZ's Droid push that broke it through (the Droid came was released a few months after the original Pre, but Palm was fighting the buildup and advertising campaign the whole way). Couple that with a poorly conceived advertising line (borg lady) and a weak push by Sprint and you don't capture any mindshare. The six month wait from announcement to release and Sprint being a much smaller carrier than VZ or AT&T, and Palm's own issues as a much smaller firm fighting against much larger also hurt significantly.

All that said, a much better marketing campaign would likely have helped quite a bit. A good campaign has a simple message and compelling characters that stick in your mind. Geico is an absolute master at this. The issue remains for HP and/or whomever else launches new webOS based hardware, succinctly state what about the device makes it a better purchase than anything else out there in a way that people will remember.

Gargoyle
    jdlashley likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicatapley View Post
    I thought HP did a decent job of this in their ads, and even personalized it with different use cases/celebrities.

But these are not devices (vertical sliders with small-to-moderate screens) that the public wants to buy. The Blackberry Torch failed. The Dell Venue Pro failed. Even on Android, the horizontal slider devices (Epic 4G, Droid 3/4) sell way behind the pure slab devices like Galaxy S II, Evo/HTC Sensation, and Droid RAZR.
    I'm presuming you're referring to HP's Touchpad ads. I honestly can't remember an HP ad for the Pre2, or the Veer. Maybe they were there and I missed them, just can't recollect any at the moment. The Touchpad ads I recollect, with the girl from Glee and Manny Pacquiao (I don't remember any others at the moment), had better production quality than previous ads, but still didn't give you a succinct reason to buy the Touchpad over an Android tablet, or an iPad. They showed the webOS's "cards", sort of, but didn't highlight webOS features and how they benefit the end user.

Now, the Russell Brand web videos were actually pretty good. They're probably a bit long form for an advertising campaign, but did a better job of showing how webOS's features benefit the end user.

The screen size is probably a relevant feature. For media consumption people, I think, do tend to spec shop on size and resolution. Certainly, the iPhone and the majority of Android phones are slabs, but I don't hear any clamor that a phone has to have a virtual keyboard, or they won't buy it. The other question becomes is there a space to differentiate with a keyboard, particularly a portrait keyboard (on this front would have been nice to see a legitimate push for the Pre3 and see how it would have done).

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    snip... but I don't hear any clamor that a phone has to have a virtual keyboard, or they won't buy it. The other question becomes is there a space to differentiate with a keyboard, particularly a portrait keyboard (on this front would have been nice to see a legitimate push for the Pre3 and see how it would have done.
    The clamor is silent. It is being made by the changing of $/debit/credit cards. No one is buying portrait sliders. The "space" is occupied with slabs.

Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Here are your repeat offenders:
    Palm
    RIM
    HP
    Certain Webos enthusiast.
    never saw a Pre2 ad
    saw a Veer ad once. didn't really say much
    other than 'everybody on'
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    never saw a Pre2 ad
    The Veer is a tiny phone, not much to say. My font is larger. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    never saw a Pre2 ad
    I don't know if Pre 2 ads even existed and, at least in the U.S., I'm not sure the Pre 2 was officially released. I mean i've never seen one in a store. Nobody I know bought one. I know people have them, just like people got a hand on a Pre 3. I don't remember any launch parties or press conferences. But I've always felt like the Pre 2 was hardly released in the U.S. if at all and thus there weren't commerials

I saw tons of Veer and Touchpad ads. I saw the Manny Pacqiuio Veer commercials pretty often with is big hands on that tiny Veer. I always wondered how small is that thing cause it's not like Manny is big though. I bet he can't palm a basketball.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12