Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I guess it was just a matter of time.

Jon Rubinstein, former Palm CEO, leaves HP | The Verge
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Jon Rubinstein, the former Apple executive who took over handheld maker Palm and moved with it to Hewlett-Packard in a 2010 acquisition, has left HP effective today, AllThingsD has learned.

Rubinstein is said to have no immediate plans, and had completed a 12-24 month commitment to stay with HP after the acquisition. “Jon has fulfilled his commitment and we wish him well,” HP spokeswoman Mylene Mangalindan said.

Best known for his work on Apple’s iconic iPod music player, Rubinstein left Apple in 2006 and joined Roger McNamee as a partner in the private equity firm Elevation Partners, following its 2007 investments in Palm.

Former Palm Head Jon Rubinstein Leaves Hewlett-Packard - Arik Hesseldahl - News - AllThingsD
    According to Engadget Rubinstein is leaving HP.
    <<threads merged>>
    Thanks for all the updates, Uncle Jon.
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/06/2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Thanks for my Pre 3 Jon, best of luck to you.
    When I read this at lunch earlier it kinda sucks to have someone such as him give up in a sense. Sure it was a lot of work, but its been a lot of working staying with webOS and supporting it too. A very rocky outlook at all times regardless of the announcements, we always seemed to get screwed; but we stayed with webOS in hopes of a positive outlook no matter how bad it got...and were still here. I hope his future role involves webOS somehow, not android or apple again.
    the fact that there are only 5 posts on this thread speaks VOLUMES...

where is the precentral/webOSnation community chatter?

crickets...

sigh.
    To be expected. It would have been news if he got a new leaders role with webOS. Now it's just as live continues, no surprises.
    I'm sure when they killed all the webOS products, they also released him from his commitment to stay at HP.

Usually after a buyout, there will be legal requirements for people to stay. That's my guess why a lot of people left after the 6 month mark. That's a pretty standard time frame for vesting any stock given at the buyout. Of course Ruby probably had a longer term commitment.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I don't think there's a lot of chatter here about this because it's really no surprise. I think everyone expected him to leave. I honestly thought he'd have left a few months ago once Leo dropped his marbles.
    I say so what. I mean, i dont think it really holds no relaivance either way when we r talking about HP and the future of WebOS. If however, he gets hired by a mobile phone company somewhere, it could mean good thi gs for WebOS.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    the fact that there are only 5 posts on this thread speaks VOLUMES...

where is the precentral/webOSnation community chatter?

crickets...

sigh.
    Give him some credit, unlike the Italian cruise ship captain, at least he stayed with the ship until it went under.

No chatter here because the knockout punch came from Leo. The ref is counting out the mandatory 10 count and he's up to about 7. The faithful are hoping for webOS to get off of the canvas and put up more of a fight.

Many of us are sitting outside the arena and can't even even get a ticket to the event because we can't get hardware that we need (a phone, as I don't really need a tablet).

It is sad, but like some said previously, if he were to resurface at a competitor with a hint that he might get the backing that HP didn't give him, this place would explode with chatter.

(How much an asset or just a few letters short of an asset HP was <g> OR if or not Jon Rube deserves another opportunity are for a different discussion)

(Queue the theme from "Rocky")

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    I'm not here to discuss the pros and cons of jr's reign at palm...

but I'm quite surprised at how little discussion there is about him leaving on precentral...

he was a savior for palm, then a ray of hope, then one of its symbols for failure, and then a lame duck...

but look at all the chatter that goes on when other former well known ceo's get fired...

dunno expected more discussion...

I'm more worried about the future of webosnation forums if we don't get any new hardware in the next few months
    I don't see Jon as an OS kind of guy. More of a whole integrated product guy and he's been invisible for months.

There will be plenty of chatter once open sourcing gains some momentum.
    Many of us are new to webOS. This guy hasn't been involved for what, a year now?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I just remember a short while before Leo killed hardware, jon telling josh at the verge why they're releasing a touchpad with a overclocked CPU and Jon said because we can. Very cocky guy, made me laugh.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The interesting part is not that he is leaving, but the juicy bits in the interview:
    The exit interview with Jon Rubinstein: 'What we accomplished has been amazing' | The Verge
    Seems that Jon only stuck around to finish the Touchpad, everything else was an afterthought while he was planing his way out. Maybe Jon already lost the motivation after all the troubles at Palm, and all he wanted was a margarita by the beach by then.

This sort of tells us why webOS didn't fly at HP...

And I was wondering why HP didn't start the whole product integration work by putting touch-to-share coils in every HP laptop, and why they didn't replace all those touchsmart UIs with webOS...
    We discussed his role to many times from 2009 till today. If someone could merge all posts related to Jon into one thread you will got real volumes.
    Sad to see him go. I hope Bradley can pickup the effort he left off.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast