Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I'm not here to discuss the pros and cons of jr's reign at palm...

but I'm quite surprised at how little discussion there is about him leaving on precentral...

he was a savior for palm, then a ray of hope, then one of its symbols for failure, and then a lame duck...

but look at all the chatter that goes on when other former well known ceo's get fired...

dunno expected more discussion...

I'm more worried about the future of webosnation forums if we don't get any new hardware in the next few months
    The last sentence says it all. Even for those of us who love the platform, it's hard to get jazzed up with no hardware. And that will start to impact things like 'fundraisers' for the homebrew giants.

How many times have you seen the post from a webOS fan who had to move on because they couldn't get a replacement phone on their carrier of choice?

At the end of the day, FrankenPre's are OK but that makes it a hobbyist platform, even many of us tech savvy guys just don't have the time to dink around with hardware that much.

Priority of any opensource / homebrew movement needs to be to get the OS running on some currently available hardware - similar to what is being done with the Touchpad and Android. Or maybe HP needs to push this, without it open souce is mostly a joke. Imagine Linux with NO hardware on which to run.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    The goal cannot be to use someone else's hardware, must be a real webos phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    The goal cannot be to use someone else's hardware, must be a real webos phone
    Totally agree
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I'm not here to discuss the pros and cons of jr's reign at palm...

but I'm quite surprised at how little discussion there is about him leaving on precentral...

he was a savior for palm, then a ray of hope, then one of its symbols for failure, and then a lame duck...

but look at all the chatter that goes on when other former well known ceo's get fired...

dunno expected more discussion...

I'm more worried about the future of webosnation forums if we don't get any new hardware in the next few months
    Totally agree with you. Precentral or webosnation should have had an interview before the verge. His departure is significant to this site. Folks need to write a dedicated post.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    The interesting part is not that he is leaving, but the juicy bits in the interview:
    The exit interview with Jon Rubinstein: 'What we accomplished has been amazing' | The Verge
    Seems that Jon only stuck around to finish the Touchpad, everything else was an afterthought while he was planing his way out. Maybe Jon already lost the motivation after all the troubles at Palm, and all he wanted was a margarita by the beach by then.

This sort of tells us why webOS didn't fly at HP...

And I was wondering why HP didn't start the whole product integration work by putting touch-to-share coils in every HP laptop, and why they didn't replace all those touchsmart UIs with webOS...
    Yup, he lost motivation after the failures of Palm.

My reading of the tea leaves..

Palm was dead circa 2008. Elevation Partners wanted to make bet with 300 million. They thought it was once in a life time investment, sort of investing in the next Apple. Turns out Palm failed badly on the hardware side , not to ignore half cooked software. We all know the reasons beyond the software and hardware , the cash, marketing, carrier support , going with Sprint...................... So in the end Elevation partners wanted to get out of Palm with minimal losses. Hence the acquisition. If you read the interview carefully, Jon had no say in selling to HP. It was a careful acquisition process that choose HP. Since the real owners are Elevation, Jon has to stay put with the deal. He stayed longer with that contract. He hoped for a long term commitment after the acquisition. HP never did that. How do I know ? look at the number of updates Palm released during 2009 compared to the HP era. So he was just fulfilling the contract. I highly doubt the guy needs money. He doesn't want to be a billionaire. He probably have few millions of his own from Apple stock + and money from the Palm gig . That would be goodnuff to live in Mexico for the rest of his life. Besides he is on Amazon board. His wife (from what I gather on wiki) is a board member of British Telecom and Hi5 networks. So I am sure he is comfortable living in Mexico.

In summary, me thinks, he was brought in to protect 340 million investment in Palm and he did that. As for his next gig, he has no place in Google,Microsoft, RIM, Nokia,Samsung,LG,HTC,....

I have a feeling he might be joining either Intel or Amazon, the two players who want to make big in mobile.

Intel is suffering badly.PC shipments are converted to Tablets. So they got to get their chip in every tablet. Ruby with his hardware + software experience can help them in advising a strategy, better yet start a hardware group. His buddy Mike Bell is already there.

Amazon needs serious hardware engineering talent. Current Amazon team filled with software rock stars, no hardware gurus. Ruby can poach few from Ex-Palm / Ex- Apple . Plus his insight into Apple will be invaluable to Bezos.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12