Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zahid
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    NY Times article on working conditions in Apple's Chinese suppliers' factories:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/bu...-in-china.html

Basically says that Apple attempts to, or pays lip service to attempting to, dictate minimum workin conditions at FoxConn and elsewhere--but rarely terminates an important supplier regardless of violations. The article then says, "independent monitors and suppliers say some act differently [from Apple]. Executives at multiple suppliers, in interviews, said that Hewlett-Packard and others allowed them slightly more profits and other allowances if they were used to improve worker conditions."

Can we pat ourselves on the back and say, maybe HP priced their products (TP) too high, but it was partly in the interest of worker safety?
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    If you paid full price for a TP then I will grant that you did something to improve working conditions if you admit that if you waited to buy a fire-sale TP then you contributed to someone losing their job.
    By fire-sale time, the jobs were pretty much gone (or on their way out). If anything, you made a statement in favor of future jobs.

There are also people in-between (like me) who bought at full price and were rebated and refunded by HP and Amazon down to fire-sale price. Not quite sure what that contributed to!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    well I'd say all the Chinese workers who have a job are quite possibly better off than all the people in the so called developed world who do not have a job because the manufacturing is off-shored.

Still, it's cheaper, right? That's good! Walmart rule supreme!
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    When I hold my phone and tablet now, I do think of the people who got up in the middle of the night or early morning to put the tiny chip into the phone that lets me turn it on and browse the internet, email my friends or whatever.
    I don't know what else to say. I hope these conditions get sorted out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    Can we pat ourselves on the back and say, maybe HP priced their products (TP) too high, but it was partly in the interest of worker safety?
    We cannot pat ourselves on the back and say that. If we did, we would be fooling ourselves while trying to soothe egos and clear consciences. We are voracious consumers (for the most part) and are guilty of much much more than poor working conditions in China and the developing world.

For those who believed HP 'cared' and acted unlike a business, unlike a multinational corporate entity, I have a bridge to sell you. With the bottom line as the only motivating factor, they negotiated what they could, as did Apple and the host of other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by inertia1
    I guess it's hard to say who is doing more to improve the lives of people in China who build mobile devices - the company that built 146 million devices last year or the company that got out of the mobile device business last year.
    It is hard to say, but since the company that got out of the mobile business last year moves a device every 2 seconds, and use the very suppliers and factories to manufacture other mobiles at unmatched scale, logic would dictate that it is doing more. This is in spite of far lower margins... or is that because of those lower margins?

Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis
    well I'd say all the Chinese workers who have a job are quite possibly better off than all the people in the so called developed world who do not have a job because the manufacturing is off-shored.
    Possibly, but I doubt. The 'developed' world has its economic and social safety nets in place. Even the measly unemployment and welfare checks, along w/ the housing and fuel assistance trumps the few cents per hour by far.

Still, it's cheaper, right? That's good! Walmart rule supreme!
    Yea, its cheaper... to us and only us. That is because someone else has already paid a h3ll of a price.

http://www.storyofstuff.com/
    Last edited by p41m3r; 01/27/2012 at 03:48 AM.