1.    #1  
    I'm shocked, I'm really not alone with the issue:

a week ago I noticed a weird behavior on my 3rd Treo (2 were replaced for other well known issues such as the dead-speaker problem).

the device gets really slow, then I reset and press the power button; I waited for minutes, but no Mr. Flip appeared on the screen, while Phonebook app showed an endless "Network search..." status (and my MaTreo showed an endless "searching..." :).

I suddenly went here, and I was impressed about how many users are left with same condition.

so I read about the one and only method to workaround the problem: to drain the battery. yes, I got the GPRS update, so I cannot use the reset app (which is not a solution, but the well-ever-known well-old reset method of any software).

I decided to disconnect the battery by opening the Treo, and the operation was succesful.

but, after a couple of days, I had the same behavior: apps really slow, reset, no Mr. Flip again.

how many times I'll have to drain or disconnect my battery? the treo is a phone, and I need it all the time, but this condition is going to be a lucky one, not the normal operational state.

if a reset gives us Mr. Flip again, then it's something related to the software. please, handspring, fix the issue by releasing a patch for both GSM and GPRS enabled firmware.

if you're still investigating the issue, please let us know.

thank you.

note to the readers: do you think to make some loud could let handspring take us more in consideration? let me know, write here.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    The utility of the reset patch plus the fact it doesn't work with the other software, is a major reason I figured I wouldn't upgrade....
    I did not have any apparent network problems, but the battery was acting strange. It would not get above fifty percent, even when the charge light showed full. Then it went down fast, to about ten to twenty five percent (in the red) finally forced me to shutdown and try the battery drain trick. I thought the battery had to be close to dead, but i left it in the 'yes' erase data / 'no' any other button screen AND the solid black screen with backlight on for over an hour!!! Still not wanting to die, i decided to kill it, as i'd read in other posts. Took the screws out, and carefully popped off the back, there was the battery and connector. I unplugged it, and reconnected and reassembled. Charging is almost full now, and seems to be holding firm. Either I went into a bad spot sometime between yesterday evening and this afternoon, or the Tmobile network, or the treo software screwed things up. I think Handspring should be working on the fix with their partners, hehe.

Aren't their enough of us having this problem recently to warrant some investigation into it? I've used GPRS since available, third 270 Treo since June.

True, it's only happened once, SO FAR. They will have to do something if the problem gets widespread.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Most of this type of battery problems can be solved by simply plugging in the charger and performing a soft reset while on the charger.

This resets the battery regulator, and you do not blow your warranty.
    I have this famous flip problem yesterday. After searching the net for quite a while, i found that HS has this Radio Reset tool. I tried it this afternoon. It drained out my battery for more than 6 hours. But after i charge the battery and turn it on again, the problem still exist.

Wondering if anybody else here have the same experience. And does anybody know what exactly goes wrong in the Treo? Is it some memory leak, stack overflow problem? Why draining out the battery could solve the problem?

Jeff
    the radio reset app can be used on GPRS unit! Have you even searched handspring's site? Type in noflip...you will find the following page
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH
    which links to
    http://support.handspring.com/esupport/html/noflip.jsp which includes files for both GPRS and non-GPRS units as well as instructions.

I've had my Treo since early September...it's never been replaced. I upgraded to GPRS once it was officially supported by T-Mo. Had the noflip issue sometime last month (judging from my call history, it was Feb 19th), ran the radio reset, and it's been fine since. Maybe I've been extrememly lucky...but I'd suggest that you download the radio reset file from handspring...try that...then come back here and complain if it doesn't work...
    I bought my Treo on just the next day after it was announced in Hongkong. I installed the GPRS upgrade on the same day it appreared on the web. Believe me, most of the person who bought the Treo do know a little more than the usual mobile phone users. Otherwise, why do we bother ourselves so badly? Don't try to under estimate us.

So we will not just sitting there complaining when there is a problem of our Treo. I downloaded the Radio Reset tool (GPRS version) from HS website, and go thru. all the process as stated on HS web, but the problem still exist. I even tried the method some other users recommended, which is, disconnect the battery for more than 30 minutes. And I believe these two method are eventually the same, e.g. trying to reset the hand set. But I'm still out of luck. Can anybody help?

I just need the Treo for several months, I have already decided to switch to the new announced Samsung SGH i500. Afterall, Samsung is a traditional handset maker, which I believe can produced unit with higher quality than Handspring.

Jeff
    Thanks for those tips in this forum. I finally got my Treo's radio back by reinstalling the GPRS Update 1.1.1. I think this is the ultimate way to reset (flash) the Radio ROM of Treo

Jeff
    liujf - I was referring to the original poster's remarks that radio reset was not functional on GPRS units...not to your post : )

I'm glad that you found a fix...what inspired you to try reinstalling the GPRS updater? Did you have to trick it as nzmoko did?
    clogoodie, sorry i misunderstood your post. i was too hush at that time and thought you were some guy from HS who is trying to cover somethings.

As to why i come up with the reinstallation. There were some posts there in this forum telling me this might be a way. And i think that all the draining batter power thing will eventually reset the ROM. As I mentioned, I tried that and it didn't solve the problem. So I think the ultimate way is to flash the ROM. But since HS does not provide any flash tools, the GPRS updater might be a way worth trying. So i did it, and the flip comes back.

BTW, because this is the first time i met such problem after maybe 5 months since I install the GPRS update (which is not the 1.11 version but rather the very first version of the file), i'm not sure whether i can still use this method if flip disappear again. And I don't believe HS will release any patch in the near future. So let's replace the Treo with others, like the coming Samsung i500.

Jeff
    Originally posted by matro
    a week ago I noticed a weird behavior on my 3rd Treo (2 were replaced for other well known issues such as the dead-speaker problem).
    I got my TREO 270 I think last Nov 2002. I got the "Network search" problem on Feb 2003. I got a new one and today (Apr 2003) I got the same problem again in the new machine. Now there is a version of battery and reset radio PRC for GRPS at handspring.com but I install it and run it without any success.

Each time I sent the TREO to repair cost me 40 euros (44 USD) and the machine cost me more than 800 euros (880 USD) so... final spend 40 euros + 40 euros + 800 euros...

Until when? You are not alone.
    The new RadioReset.prc for GRPS didn't solve it.

Reinstalling the GPRS 1.1.1 didn't solve it.

I got new GPRS 1.1.2 but I could bet that will not solve the problem.

It's my second TREO and I will need to spend another 40 euros to send it to repair.

I had similar problems with my treo. I found that a hard reset and manually installing apps helped. Do you have third party software installed?
    Originally posted by tejedor
    The new RadioReset.prc for GRPS didn't solve it.

Reinstalling the GPRS 1.1.1 didn't solve it.

I got new GPRS 1.1.2 but I could bet that will not solve the problem.

HEYYYYY I installed GPRS 1.1.2 and solve the problem... for how long????

I love TREO but this kind of sh*t is... forget about it.
    Originally posted by septimus
    I had similar problems with my treo. I found that a hard reset and manually installing apps helped. Do you have third party software installed?
    Looks like installing GPRS versión 1.1.2 over the faulty machine solved the problem... very bizarre... since I try first reinstalling GPRS 1.1.1 without any success.

Thank you anyway man.