1.    #1  
    I think I saw a thread on the same subject some time ago, but I can't find it:

A friend of mine bought a Treo 270 about a month ago.
    After the necessary (and traditional!) problem, he received a (refurbished) exchange device.
    This "new" unit keeps turning itself on every two minutes or so, without any reasons that I can think of.

My Treo 270 (of course an exchange, but not refurbished: after the 5th exchange, they sent me a new one!) never had this problem - the previous devices never did either.
    Thinking that the problem could come from one of his installed apps, I performed a hard reset on his machine and installed my back-up with my own trouble-free apps and files.

Even so, his Treo keeps turning itself on on regular intervals.
    I performed again a hard reset and re-installed his own backup.
    The problem is still there!

Is there any known solution to that issue?

Does this treo have the GPRS upgrade rolled into it?
    If yes, delete any pending SMS messages in the SMS app. Basically it's attempting to send out any messages and turning on the backlight.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Does this treo have the GPRS upgrade rolled into it?
    If yes, delete any pending SMS messages in the SMS app. Basically it's attempting to send out any messages and turning on the backlight.
    It is a GPRS-upgraded unit.
    I checked: unfortunately there were no pending/draft SMS waiting.

Any other idea?
    Do you by any chance use TreoAlertMgr on your treo?
  5.    #5  
    Do you by any chance use TreoAlertMgr on your treo?
    I do in my configuration (and I'm quite happy with it), but my friend's doesn't.
    I use it as well and am quit happy with it but sometimes on occasion I think it's the culprit!
    Have you tried just for the sake of it deleting all SMS messages in all of the folders to see if this solves it? If you need to save them you can copy them to your memo pad. This has been a known issue w/pending SMS messages and it's odd that deleted the pending SMS did not solve the problem.

Greg
  7.    #7  
    This has been a known issue w/pending SMS messages and it's odd that deleted the pending SMS did not solve the problem.
    Greg
    The fact is that there wasn't any SMS to delete.
    To free memory, I have the habit to delete SMS very quickly and my friend's configuration didn't have any SMS at all (because he doesn't like to send SMS).
    Remember that I tried two different (in many ways) configurations on the same unit to check its behavior pattern.
    The hardware (because this is what I think it is) issue remains, regardless of the loaded configuration.

I think I should advise him to return his unit... Second time in five weeks.
    Do we have a record here?
    Originally posted by dennis3232
    I

I had same problem. Read all this thread and all other possible FAQ. No solution. Problem remained. By chance, discovered solution to my problem. My Treo livs in a Handspring case that has fold over top flap secured by velcro. I was fastening the velcro so tightly that it bore down on the power button. Depending on how tight, switched it on full time or just when my (obese) belly nudged it. Kept unit out of case to check and problem went away. Maybe this Occram Razor solution might help someone else!
    John W
    Originally posted by dennis3232
    I

I had same problem. Read all this thread and all other possible FAQ. No solution. Problem remained. By chance, discovered solution to my problem. My Treo livs in a Handspring case that has fold over top flap secured by velcro. I was fastening the velcro so tightly that it bore down on the power button. Depending on how tight, switched it on full time or just when my (obese) belly nudged it. Kept unit out of case to check and problem went away. Maybe this Occram Razor solution might help someone else!
    John W
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by John_Wood

I'm obese (not that bad...), he's thin!
    Joke apart, thank you for the tip, but neither of us use a case.

Mystery remains complete...