View Poll Results: Would you buy a new 'Palm' branded device?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, where do I sign up?

20 52.63%
  • Possibly, but it would be nice to see the name live on.

10 26.32%
  • Not a chance.

2 5.26%
  • Why would anyone buy another 'Palm' branded device?

6 15.79%
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I have been wondering since the announcement of the open source project and since HP has erased the Palm brand from everything, is there any life left in the Palm name? Would a manufacturer buy just the name and a license to the patents now owned by HP?

I for one would love to see the Palm name live on with a company focused on producing webOS hardware all with compatibility with what seems to be everyones favourite accessory the touchstone charger.

Is this just the thoughts of one crazy man or are there others out there that would like to see the same?

Dave
    amen.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    i don't have any attachment to palm or the name. The pre was my first and last palm phone. For me it was just the name on the phone. No more. So merely having the Palm name wouldn't make me buy anything.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    It would be nice to see Palm come back as a brand, still have some perfectly good Palm PDAs lying around. They were good products. Just a shame they didn't adapt to survive and got eaten by HP, which by extension now is also sharing in their losses somewhat...
    The great thing about my Pre... I haven't had the bug to replace it with anythnig else.
    Just_Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerJ13 View Post
    The great thing about my Pre... I haven't had the bug to replace it with anythnig else.
    really? Gee I had the bug for the pixi being closer to the treo pro feel, then the pre+, pixi+, veer, pre2, touchpad, pre3! Lol
  7.    #7  
    Well it has been nearly a month since I posted this and just over 80% would like to see Palm branded devices again.

I'm glad I'm not alone in my thoughts of wishing to see the name come back to life and hope something can be done by somebody one day to let the greatest name in handheld technology live on.

Dave
    Proud webOS supporter!
    My Palm history: Vx, Centro, Pre-, Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3, Touchpad 32Gb & Panda Veer
    We have seen in the past that second acts, and more so, second lives, are tough to impossible. The name can be licensed and used, but w/ no past connections and none of the original zen and DNA, whats the point? If its simply for nostalgia or to appeal to the pitter-patter of our hearts then no thank you. You may as well color a rectangular piece of cardboard, label it Palm and sell it to the diehards. It should make no difference.

Im not sure there should even be a third coming of Palm, but any attempt must involve reaching back in the past and picking all of the innovative and simple pieces that made Palm the success it once was. Anything less would be a return to mediocrity.
  9.    #9  
    What would be great in my eyes is a team of Palm enthusiasts licence or purchase the brand name and along with some top notch hardware designers build a series of phone and tablet devices that run the webOS operating system and possibly built-in classic support for those Palm OS app that people just can't leave behind.

Dave
    Proud webOS supporter!
    My Palm history: Vx, Centro, Pre-, Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3, Touchpad 32Gb & Panda Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by retraux View Post
    What would be great in my eyes is a team of Palm enthusiasts licence or purchase the brand name and along with some top notch hardware designers build a series of phone and tablet devices that run the webOS operating system and possibly built-in classic support for those Palm OS app that people just can't leave behind.
    It would be great but that requires $$ and given the shape of the global economy and the mobile space, it would be a hard sell for investors/VCs.
    I'm more concerned about a good product than the name of the product. If it was a good 'Palm' gadget or whatever then yes, but I wouldn't buy something for the name alone. If it also had WebOS or a derivative I'd be much more interested though.