Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DJeremyC
  1.    #1  
    Haven't seen a thread yet regarding anyones thoughts about what was presented at CES 2012. So feel free to expand this thread.

To me the offerings seemed dull compared to previous years (such as Palm Pre presentation). It was all just a "me too" show. I got tablets, oh ME TOO! I got TVs, oh ME TOO! The best two things out hte door is probably the Gorilla Glass 2, and possibly the Sprint Galaxy Nexus (though price was not disclosed so you know they will go with the pricing scheme of $299 on contract).

Any thoughts?

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    I've been watching the coverage closely, also. This is looking like a down year for most consumer technology. There are tons of ultra books targeted at the Macbook Air market but none of them really shine compared to the existing Air models. Microsoft seems to have "phoned it in" with their keynote, probably reserving Windows 8 announcements for their own event. Showing Windows 7 models on the stage didn't impress anyone. Windows Phone is surprisingly good and looks like it will comfortably take the 3rd mobile OS spot. It's hard to imagine that webOS smartphones could have looked better than what Nokia is doing for the US market. Apparently, they will get hero smartphone status from AT&T.
    It'll certainly be interesting to see. There's no denying the resources MS could push into Windows Phone, but they've already had a decent push and couldn't garner a significantly larger market share than webOS. Windows Phone is undeniably the front runner for 3rd OS, but I would not hand them the trophy just yet.

Gargoyle
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    It'll certainly be interesting to see. There's no denying the resources MS could push into Windows Phone, but they've already had a decent push and couldn't garner a significantly larger market share than webOS. Windows Phone is undeniably the front runner for 3rd OS, but I would not hand them the trophy just yet.

Gargoyle
    I have to agree. MS will get the 3rd spot as webOS will take quite some time to gain traction again. They will get this spot, and don't get me wrong WP7(.5) is "OK" but not quite as nice as webOS, mainly because it will take time for webOS to get refined and gain traction.

MS is also willing to do what HP would not, and that is just pump as much cash is needed to build this up without any ROI. Then once they get it built up, the Windows 8 ecosystem will be created and they will own base solely on integration of pc to laptop to tablet to phone to (printers?)....WOW...SOUND FAMILIAR?!?!?

If HP would have continued on the track it was for the TP Go and the Pre3 etc I think they would have started getting more developers incoming and also starting to see a turn in profit.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Ironically, a WP7 phone will likely be my next device. My Pre+ died and I went to Android, but have to hold back the urge to throw the stupid thing against a brick wall every day because the OS is so bad. If webOS hasn't made a comeback, I could see my next device being a WP7 phone.

That said, I think the fundamental issue remains that the public has not taken to the UI. The tech press and analysts have loved the OS from day 1. It got a solid push in the last go around. Maybe this time is different, I'm just not convinced they've gotten the sauce right to draw people to them.

Gargoyle
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I prefer WP7 hands down over Android - much nicer user experience. However it really comes down to marketing and carrier relationships plus those all important incentives to retail staff. Worrh checking out as webos handsets die off.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    Windows Phone had a lot more competition to contend with when it showed up than webOS did, initially. Probably the most significant factor hindering it is the fact that no carrier was wiling to give it hero status. It's hard to imagine retail people pushing them. It looks like AT&T is really going to push the Lumia, probably with a lot of help from M$.

Microsoft seems pretty committed to the Metro UI. CES attendees seem to be impressed with the Nokia hardware running it. MS is going to be paying sales people spiffs of something like $12 to $15 per WP phone sold.

I'm assuming they will take 3rd place because I can't think of any other smartphone platform that has a chance at it. All you have left is RIM and webOS.
    WebOS doesn't actually exist anymore as a smartphone platform - it has a marketshare of zero and no hardware is looming. Even if someone leaps in after it is open sourced, it is unlikely to have a release before 2013, way too late for this cycle.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    To me the offerings seemed dull compared to previous years (such as Palm Pre presentation). It was all just a "me too" show. I got tablets, oh ME TOO! I got TVs, oh ME TOO! The best two things out hte door is probably the Gorilla Glass 2, and possibly the Sprint Galaxy Nexus (though price was not disclosed so you know they will go with the pricing scheme of $299 on contract).
    Dude, you wrote my thoughs!

I sent a mail to one friend saying this: nothing really new in CES, only hardware evolution, and I told that the only really new was the GGLS 2!

Well, my only "CES 2012 Thoughts" are: "-Where are the webOS devices?"

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)