1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

Finally jumped in and got my Treo-- Lovin' it! Two questions, though:

1) I reassigned the hard buttons to apps of my choosing. How can you reassign the option+hard button apps?

2) Is there a place to download new ringtones? Do they just get added automatically to the existing list? How do you go about installing them?

Thanks!
    Jeff
    With Buttons, or Buttons-T (depending on whether you have the GPRS upgrade), you can have alternate settings for each of the buttons.

For ringtones, there are a few programs available - check PalmGear or Handango. I use Ringo and haven't had any problems, but I know some other folks have had issues with it. I have a gazillion ring tones now......just wish they would play LOUDER.
    I had Ringo for my ringtones and am now beta testing TCRinger on my 300. Ringo seemed ok, but since I removed it I haven't had to do any hard resets - don't know if Ringo was the sole issue or if it was in a war with another app I was using, but so far TCRinger seems really stable for me.
    Originally posted by kayden75
    I had Ringo for my ringtones and am now beta testing TCRinger on my 300. Ringo seemed ok, but since I removed it I haven't had to do any hard resets - don't know if Ringo was the sole issue or if it was in a war with another app I was using, but so far TCRinger seems really stable for me.
    From what I've read, stay away from Ringo. It is not stable at all.
    Can only speak from personal experience with Ringo, but, caused my Treo 270 to lock up several times. Uninstalled Ringo and phone worked 100% better.
    Originally posted by atvjeff
    Hi folks,

2) Is there a place to download new ringtones? Do they just get added automatically to the existing list? How do you go about installing them?

Thanks!
    Jeff
    you do not say whether you are talking about the 300 or 270. ringtones are different depending. if its the 300, you can download 50 ringtones i made. they are freeware at palmgear. most are also significantly louder than the original tones. you can read some folks comments in the treo300 section on this board.

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...7&prodID=46151

ringo has its problems but how many you run into seems to depend on what other software you are using. TCRinger is currently in beta and is much more stable but also does not have ringo's feature of photo caller ID. one of the things that has come up on the beta discussion board is that ringo apparently uses hacks which might explain why it can be a little finicky.

that said, i used ringo for a couple of months with no problems to speak of.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12

ringo has its problems but how many you run into seems to depend on what other software you are using. TCRinger is currently in beta and is much more stable but also does not have ringo's feature of photo caller ID. one of the things that has come up on the beta discussion board is that ringo apparently uses hacks which might explain why it can be a little finicky.

that said, i used ringo for a couple of months with no problems to speak of.
    Ringo uses hacks? Wouldn't you have to run something with that then? I'm not running any hacks..even uninstalled hackmaster, but I have Ringo - and have had no problems with it since the earliest version.
    as i said, i had no problems either. the comment that ringo uses hacks originated with one of the developers of tcringer but i have no reason to think he said it out of malice or anything...

as for needing other software, i know what you mean, hackmaster or something similar. however there is probably no reason that any program might not have that stuff included in its bundle, just as on the pc many visual basic apps come with the vbruntime file they need to run, though the runtimes are generally available separately as well.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.