1.    #1  
    After having World Class roaming enabled so that I could use my Treo in London over the Christmas holiday, I was devestated when I could not register with any network. I went to a T-Mo store in London where they checked both my Treo-270 and my sim card and told me the problem was with my sim card. Upon returning home and explaining it to the customer service people at T-Mo, they finally determined that some sim chips will not work with world roaming. They have given me the first numbers of the series of chips that will not work with world roaming, so if you are planning on doing any traveling, double check your sim card before you go.

The sim cards that will not work with world roaming begin with the number:

I hope this saves some of you the problems I had.

Alli
    Hello Alli,

I know this may not apply to you, but did the TMO store give you any insight into whether those of us with older (Voicestream) sim cards would have any problems? Mine doesn't begin with the numbers you gave, however I'm curious if my Voicestream card may give me problems abroad.

Thanks!
    Tommy
  3.    #3  
    I would call them and double check if you're planning any overseas travel...just in case. I'm heading to the T-Mo store now to get a new one. I just think it's a ripoff that it costs to buy a new one, although they promised that because of my experience they will credit my account when I fax them the receipt for the new one. <sigh>
    Originally posted by Alli
    I would call them and double check if you're planning any overseas travel...just in case. I'm heading to the T-Mo store now to get a new one. I just think it's a ripoff that it costs to buy a new one, although they promised that because of my experience they will credit my account when I fax them the receipt for the new one. <sigh>
    Wow, that stinks that they're actually going to charge you for a replacement sim, regardless of the fact that they'll credit your account later. That's a pain for you... They should put the legwork onto themselves, not the other way around.

Back when it was VoiceStream, I had to get a replacement sim, and the people at the store just swapped me out free of charge, and sent me on my happy way. It seems like people were happier when it was VS, not TMO.
  5.    #5  
    Well I've just returned from my local T-Mobile store, where they happily replaced my sim card without ever questioning the reasons or suggesting there was a charge. They're back on my good side. Actually, other than the occasional bizarre occurrance like this, I've always been very happy with the service I've gotten from T-Mobile.
    Originally posted by tommygreen

It seems like people were happier when it was VS, not TMO.
    Voicestream has been a TMO subsidiary for a long time--long before it changed its name. I think that's a red-herring.
    Should you ever try again it works great. I was on BTCellnet in the U.K. and am paying the bill for it now. GPRS did not work there, but I picked up a prepaid Orange card that did the trick.

Derek

--My life is better because of my Treo.