1.    #1  
    So I was in this loud and fun bar in Germany last week with a couple of friends, and this one really cute girl somewhat nearby me kept looking at me and smiling, poking her friends to say something, looking back, and so on.

I smiled back, of course, and was tempted to actually go over and buy her a drink or something equally chivalrous/stereotypical/dumb, when she leaned over and said something to me.

I understand some German, but it's been years since I lived in Germany and it was hard to hear her over the din. I politely asked her to repeat what she said, and she did so, but I was still puzzled.

One of the friends I was with noticed the confusion and helpfully translated. "She wants you to take a picture of her and her friends" he said.

Now I was even more confused. I didn't have a camera (my wonderful Olympus 3030z was stolen in Estonia and not yet replaced), so I didn't know what she could be talking about.

Then it hit me. She thought I had one of those camera phones!

I explained back to her that, sorry, it was a Palm phone, not a camera phone. Blank look. I clarified, no, it cannot take pictures.

She looked at me with an expression of distinct disappointment after learning that I had a geek phone, not a camera phone. It was clear that being able to surf the net and access my appointments and to do list and even play Bejeweled wouldn't win back her interest or attention.

I went back to drinking with my friends, humbled, saddened, and single.

- Adam

P.S. -- Yes, this is a true story. And wouldn't it make for a great ad for one of the companies that make camera phones?
    That would make a good ad. I actually had someone ask me if mine was a camera phone too. Unfortunately this individual wasn't nearly so cute (or German).
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Wow a cute German girl! That would have been worth taking a picture of!
    Should had said "You can AOL with it." That usually wins ditzy girls over.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Just curious since I lived Heidelberg for several years.
  6.    #6  
    Razorpit, I hope you're not offering an sarcastic commentary about German girls. Perhaps you've never been to Germany: Just go out any night of the week there, and you'll find quite a few attractive and interesting women (who'd be actually more attractive if they didn't SMOKE, dangit, but that's another issue). If I misunderstood your comment, Razorpit, my apologies

Real-ity, you have a true and amusing point, though actually in Germany, few use AOL and fewer still use AIM. Of those who do instant messaging, most use ICQ, which is typically the international messaging client of choice from what I can tell.

And Tekawiz, this was actually very near your former home of beautiful Heidelberg... in the not-as-beautiful-but-much-less-touristy city of Mannheim. I forget the name of the bar my friends and I were at, but I *CAN* recommend Flick Flack (one of the oldest former-houses in Mannheim!) as a cool place to hang out, despite the fact that there's no cell reception in there. Yummy flammkuchen ("flammis"), reasonably decent service (well, for Europe ), stiff drinks, and a hell-of-a-funny British owner
    Dude, next time fake it.:-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  8.    #8  
    Heh heh! Unfortunately, they weren't THAT drunk!
    i find it amazing how many folks ask me if my treo is also a camera. they don't yet make a camera that small that would take decent enough pictures for most uses other than phone-to-phone.

one comment i read about the phone cameras is that what you are going to have is pictures of the insides of teenagers' pants being transmitted all around the globe. not that i would mind getting some of those emails...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Even if you did have a camera phone, so you take a picture, show the girls the picture, then what? It's not like you can print out a 5x7 glossy on the spot. oic, next she gives you her email address so you can email her the picture, along with a picture of the inside of your pants.
    David
    hey don't look at me, i'm an old guy, i don't get the camera thing and i don't get SMS either... walking around basically sending instant messages constantly. i would fall into a manhole on the first try.

but apparently from what i was reading, the idea is sending pics like you would an instant message.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    but apparently from what i was reading, the idea is sending pics like you would an instant message.
    I would be arrested doing that. <sigh>
    Originally posted by Alli

I would be arrested doing that. <sigh>
    yeah, that was the point i was making too... and the ones i would want would never be the ones who would send their pics.

wonder if some xxx web site will figure out a way to send 'spam' pics to phones as advertising?? probably should not say that too loud.
    Originally posted by aarons12

yeah, that was the point i was making too... and the ones i would want would never be the ones who would send their pics.

wonder if some xxx web site will figure out a way to send 'spam' pics to phones as advertising?? probably should not say that too loud.
    Not that I have any personal knowledge of such things (being all innocent and such), but I have this friend.... It is an interesting idea.

yeah, well i knew someone who got an sms "bomb" from some evil hackers! they have this program that can send your phone literally bomb your phone with an unlimited amount of sms messages. they didn't stop for hours, one after another. he mus've gotten thousands befor he had to cut off his phone.
    great, something new to worry about