Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Treo 270 is presicely the kind of gadget I want - a slim, colorful PalmOS PDA which is also a phone. But I'm hearing a lot of bad things about it (inferior PDA features, chronic phone malfunctions, Handspring is going out of business?) I've been looking around for its equivalent from another company but haven't found anything yet. Does one exist?

I do know about the Palm Tungsten W (soon to be released) but its phone feature requires you to plug in an earpiece - something I definitely want, but that could get annoying for quick calls. I want to be able to hold the device to my ear.

Also, I have about 9 months left on my T-mobile contract, so I'd prefer a PDA/phone which is GSM.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Chaz
    Try looking on T-Mobile's website.

(That may sound smart-assedy [?], but it is not so intended.)
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Just go with the 270. There are some other devices out there, but the Treo is the superior one in my opinion. As for color GSM pda phones, they sell a PocketPC phone but it isn't that great (no keyboard, not flip-style, not Palm).
    It's unfortunate that you're stuck w/ T-Mobile. I would suggest the Treo 300 because the unlimited data plans let you take advantage of the Treo's capabilities. I think the 270 is far and above the competition right now. Reading this forum could easily skew your perception of Treo reliability. Handspring had some problems early on with the 270 & 180, but the majority of continuing problems seem to be with the 180.
    Got Darts?
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by UniPalmer
    Try looking on T-Mobile's website.

(That may sound smart-assedy [?], but it is not so intended.)
    No smart-*** offense taken... but none of the PDAs on T-mobile's website use the Palm OS.

Originally posted by triplespear
    Reading this forum could easily skew your perception of Treo reliability.
    It does seem that Treo 270 is my only option, but I'm afraid of ordering it, having it break post-warranty, and then being abandoned by Handspring when they go awol.

Chaz
    You get a year warranty on it, I think.

I'm not trying to trivialize the money these things cost (it was a big purchase for me too) but I wouldn't let the remote chance of HS going out of business keep you from buying it.
    You can always get the Extended Warranty for $59.99.

http://www.handspring.com/protection/
    Chaz,

The Treo is still head and shoulders above the competition as far as combo PDA/phones.

I have had my Treo 270 for a little over 2 months and had a dead backlight so I know things aren't perfect but I am very happy with the unit overall.

In particular the features I value
    - all-in-one unit, no need to carry mobile & pda
    - full function mobile
    - small and lightweight, fits in a trouser pocket
    - quick, responsive feel
    - large range of software available for Palm
    - integrated keyboard which is excellent for SMS & email
    - Internet & email works

I don't know another unit available with these kind of features.

The closest is the Palm Tungsten W but it has 2 drawbacks
    - can't make a call without separate mic/earphone
    - not available yet

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Go with the 270........... I've been using ine for months without a problem. If you want to limit crashes, limit hacks. As for competition, there is none. I have the GPRS installed with either Treo Mail or Snapper Mail, and you've got a device no one can compete with. By the time Palm releases the TW, the next gen Treo will be here, and you'll have to struggle with spending the $$ to get the new Treo.
    There are other none Palm-OS Devices,

I am not sure if it suits your needs, but several companies such as Ericsson, offers Symbian OS based "palm" combo's.

Though I personnaly prefer Palm-OS, these units are sold as low as 100$, and in some cases are more phone friendly.
    (might have Car-Hands-Free set, voice dial & commands etc.)
    Originally posted by chaz
    The Treo 270 is presicely the kind of gadget I want - a slim, colorful PalmOS PDA which is also a phone. But I'm hearing a lot of bad things about it (inferior PDA features, chronic phone malfunctions, Handspring is going out of business?)
    I've been using my 270 since May. No problems here. I suspect you have been reading these forums where the vocal minority (those with problems/complaints) posts their problems. The silent majority don't have anything to complain about.

By the way, "inferior PDA features" sounds like something a pocket PC fan would say about any palm OS device. I've used both and prefer the simplicity of palm OS.
    i have been an early adapter of both the 180 and the 270. i had my share of problems like every one else but as far as i am concerned it is the best device out there and would not trade it for anything. as long as handspring backs the product you will have nothing to worry about the support has been very good and if they cannot help you they will send a replacement product .

fred
    Originally posted by fkpalm
    i have been an early adapter of both the 180 and the 270. i had my share of problems like every one else but as far as i am concerned it is the best device out there and would not trade it for anything. as long as handspring backs the product you will have nothing to worry about the support has been very good and if they cannot help you they will send a replacement product .
    fred
    I agree with that statement:
    I'm at my 5th unit (a friend of mine who 'only' started with Treo less than a month ago had to replace it twice already), and even if I'm actively looking around to replace it because I'm more than fed up with poor hardware reliability (and here I desagree: very poor support, to say the least), I have to say that I haven't seen a match, in any category: Palm OS, Pocket PC or Symbian.

I don't understand how come Handspring's competition didn't learn from Treo's success and don't come with a device built around the same philosophy.
    Correction: Palm announced the Tungsten W.
    A viable alternative?
    i agree the Tungsten W from palm looks like an altenate to the treo nice form factor the only problem that I see is that palm blew it by making a unit that can only be used with a headset. This is why I still think the treo is the best device out there

Fred
    Originally posted by fkpalm
    i agree the Tungsten W from palm looks like an altenate to the treo nice form factor the only problem that I see is that palm blew it by making a unit that can only be used with a headset. This is why I still think the treo is the best device out there
    Not mentioning that they are using an older Palm version (4.1 I believe) and not the newest 5.

Why is that?
    Originally posted by dennis3232

Not mentioning that they are using an older Palm version (4.1 I believe) and not the newest 5.

Why is that?
    Is 5 backward compatible with older processors or does it require the new breed? Perhaps that has something to do with it? Actually, I think I remember something about some TI chip being incompatible with OS5. Don't hold me to that though.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Is 5 backward compatible with older processors or does it require the new breed? Perhaps that has something to do with it? Actually, I think I remember something about some TI chip being incompatible with OS5. Don't hold me to that though.
    PalmOS 5 requires an ARM based chip. The Tungsten W still uses a Dragonball chip so it's not compatible with the new OS.
    i also would be a tungsten w owner hands down if it wasn't for the "heaadset" only phone. whatthe hell are they thinking? i'm sure someone will come out with some sort of "clip on" speaker for it. the headset jack is on the top...
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican

PalmOS 5 requires an ARM based chip. The Tungsten W still uses a Dragonball chip so it's not compatible with the new OS.
    Sure. Why not?
    Then let me rephrase my question:
    Why Palm Tungsten W was build around a Dragonball chip that isn't compatible with Palm OS 5.0?
    Cost. OS 5 is pricier, ARM chips are pricier. With already having the wireless radio and keyboard, and an expensive device, Palm probably wanted to kepp costs down.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast