Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't think cost was the whole answer. Palm OS 5's main contribution is making faster cpu's compatible with the Palm OS. But being able to truly harness those faster processors will require Palm OS 6. Even if Palm had the ability to customize the Palm OS 5 to make an advanced cell phone work, palm couldn't have done it because it would send a message that Palm Source wasn't an independent company. So Palm has to wait until Palm OS 6 is released which is in the 3rd quarter of this year.

Btw, the company that doesn't have to wait for Palm OS 6, and is capable of writing the code to allow some of the enhancements that Palm OS 6 will bring is Hand. It would set the industry on its ear, if Hand introduces a Palm OS 5 Treo before the release of OS 6.
    Originally posted by rvwink
    I don't think cost was the whole answer. Palm OS 5's main contribution is making faster cpu's compatible with the Palm OS. But being able to truly harness those faster processors will require Palm OS 6. Even if Palm had the ability to customize the Palm OS 5 to make an advanced cell phone work, palm couldn't have done it because it would send a message that Palm Source wasn't an independent company. So Palm has to wait until Palm OS 6 is released which is in the 3rd quarter of this year.
    It sounds far-fetched.
    Are you saying that Palm is missing the occasion of offering an advanced device that would mark 2003 as Treo marked 2002, only...
    because it would send a message that Palm Source wasn't an independent company
    And why should it say that anyway?
    I might be slow to understand but I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the reasoning.
    Wouldn't you consider a Sony Ericsson P800 with a small keyboard attachment similar to their small chatboard a close approximation for those who need keyboards but with all the other advanced features of a latest technology cell phone?
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    Wouldn't you consider a Sony Ericsson P800 with a small keyboard attachment similar to their small chatboard a close approximation for those who need keyboards but with all the other advanced features of a latest technology cell phone?
    I have been waiting for the Sony Ericsson P800 for months now (since August 2002, if I recall...).
    I had a chance to 'play' with one all last week.
    This is a great smartphone.
    It really states the difference between a smartphone and a PDA/phone (can we call it 'Communicator'?):
    Treo and alike (Palm Tungsten W or Pocket PC Phone Edition such as the XDA) are PDAs to which were added phone functions.
    On the other hand, the Sony Ericsson P800 is a phone to which were added PDA functions.
    It is fundamentally different.
    It is a matter of personal preferences: what you expect from your device and how you will be using it.

If you're after a (very) intelligent phone, then run buy the Sony Ericsson P800: it is a marvel.
    If you are looking for a communicating PDA, I believe Treo is still the best bet at time of writing this.
    Hey Dennis:

Palmsource has become an independent company with separate headquarters from Palm. They are going to be spun off as a separate company, and Sony has invested $20 million in the venture. The investment is based on a promise that Palm will not receive preferential treatment over the other licensees. Everyone will get new releases at the same time.

OS 5 mainly implements compatibility with higher speed cpus. It is just a start. When OS 6 comes out, the functionality of the higher speed cpus will finally be able to be delivered through to users. But until OS 6 is available to all licensees, Palm can't offer an advanced device with software functinality enabled that is not available to other licensees. Is that clearer?

Regards
    Originally posted by rvwink
    Is that clearer?s
    Much clearer!
    Thank you...
    The only time P800 can match the Treo (as a PDA) is when

1) they would allow a Landscape orientation for document viewing/editing just like in the old R380

2) they would make available the document editing applications

3) they provide a virtual keyboard in the Landscape orientation

With Landscape orientation, it will match my current Nokia 9210. (It is a joy to look at a wide screen for documents and spreadsheets.) It will offset it's narrowness (portrait orientation) compared to the Treo.

I don't know about the "loudness" of the speakerphone of the Treo. When I tried it on one of the store, it appears to be weak. The Nokia 9210's speakerphone is loud.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12