Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    It appears Meg Whitman can't count:

    Meg: snip..."You’re a start-up with a number of people, 750,000 installed devices out there,..."

    HP’s Whitman: We Have to Walk Before We Can Run With webOS

    There has to be more than 750,000 devices out there, right?
  2. #2  
    i'd think she would know. But i did a bit of deduction a few weeks ago and though i read people on precentral say a wide range of numbers as many as 4 million i could only get a top end of around 1.4 million devices and i read many reports that taken as a whole would have had the number out there under a million.
    Don't know what the real answer is but i'd bet hp has a better idea then anyone.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #3  
    This is going to end up being one of those weird conversations where people pop up and say "she's mistaken and I know better" - you know, better than the CEO of the company that actually has the hardest data on the matter. She knows how many they made and how made they sold and she also know how many profiles are currently active and on what devices - if she says there are currently 750,000 units - I think that's pretty definitive.

    The only real argument is - is she talking phones (released by HP) and Tablets or simply tablets - if it's simply tablets, then that caps off the Touchpad at that level, if it's phones plus tablets then it's a slightly lower number of touchpads but it can't really be than much lower because Pre 2 and 3 never had a real release.
  4. Xeron's Avatar
    Posts
    237 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    #4  
    that's probably just touchpad
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    how many profiles are currently active
    That's my guess too, where that number comes from.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is going to end up being one of those weird conversations where people pop up and say "she's mistaken and I know better" - you know, better than the CEO of the company that actually has the hardest data on the matter. She knows how many they made and how made they sold and she also know how many profiles are currently active and on what devices - if she says there are currently 750,000 units - I think that's pretty definitive.

    The only real argument is - is she talking phones (released by HP) and Tablets or simply tablets - if it's simply tablets, then that caps off the Touchpad at that level, if it's phones plus tablets then it's a slightly lower number of touchpads but it can't really be than much lower because Pre 2 and 3 never had a real release.
    Going to go out on the limb and volunteer as one of those weird conversation people, and say she is mistaken, or only talking about one type of device. People on P|C have "run the nubmers" and there is at least 1.4 to 2 million Touchpads alone, and when you factor in the Pixis, Pre -, Pre +, Pre 2 and 3 the number of devices is around 4 million. You have to remember that Best Buy alone had 225,000 Touchpads sitting on shelves.

    Someone should let Meg know she is wrong. The sad part is she's running HP and people are giving her bad info.

    When the CEO stats numbers that low, it is detrimental to the webos environment as it scares off developers.
  7. #7  
    I trust Meg's numbers more than anyone else's.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  8. #8  
    "750,000 installed devices 'out there'.... WHERE Meg? The USA..? The World..? CHINA..even?

    This just doesn't seem to quite 'add up'!

  9. #9  
    All of the numbers that I've ever heard talk abuot between 500,000 and 1M touchpads. 1M webOS accounts have been added since the release of the TouchPad. 750k sounds pretty reasonable for "number of TouchPads".

    Since she is only talking about the tablet business, I'm inclined to believe she's only referring to tablet numbers.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    All of the numbers that I've ever heard talk abuot between 500,000 and 1M touchpads. 1M webOS accounts have been added since the release of the TouchPad. 750k sounds pretty reasonable for "number of TouchPads".

    Since she is only talking about the tablet business, I'm inclined to believe she's only referring to tablet numbers.
    In that segment she was talking about webos, not tablets.
  11. #11  
    I assumed Meg was talking about webOS in general not 'Tablets' specifically?
    No doubt the statistic of at least that many Tablets 'out there' still pleases HP!
  12. dmklein's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #12  
    I know I put this in another thread lately but it bears repeating

    Neilson reported in Engadet( Nielsen's Q3 numbers are out: Android's still atop the OS chain, Apple remains number one manufacturer -- Engadget )just a few days ago that HP webOS had 2.2% of the Smart phone market. Another tracking firm ComScore ( ComScore: Android continues to boom, RIM and Microsoft decline - Engadget ) said there were 90 million smartphone users in the US.
    That would figure out to about 2 million. Roughly.

    Of course, that 90 Million is only the US, if the 2.2 % is of the world wide market then the Number of users would be considerably larger.

    Give the above approximations, I would assume that Meg was only referring to the TP's. That would make sense giving that BB was B****ing about a quarter million units it couldn't move.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmklein View Post
    I know I put this in another thread lately but it bears repeating

    Neilson reported in Engadet( Nielsen's Q3 numbers are out: Android's still atop the OS chain, Apple remains number one manufacturer -- Engadget )just a few days ago that HP webOS had 2.2% of the Smart phone market. Another tracking firm ComScore ( ComScore: Android continues to boom, RIM and Microsoft decline - Engadget ) said there were 90 million smartphone users in the US.
    That would figure out to about 2 million. Roughly.

    Of course, that 90 Million is only the US, if the 2.2 % is of the world wide market then the Number of users would be considerably larger.

    Give the above approximations, I would assume that Meg was only referring to the TP's. That would make sense giving that BB was B****ing about a quarter million units it couldn't move.
    Good looking out. Unfortunately, that d/n bring a whole lot of new users to the platform when you factor in some people brought multiple TPs as spares and some brought to convert to Android.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Good looking out. Unfortunately, that d/n bring a whole lot of new users to the platform when you factor in some people brought multiple TPs as spares and some brought to convert to Android.
    Nielsen numbers are smartphone subscriber numbers, but we'll accept Touchpad as smartphone to serve your intention of trashing everything webOS related.
    Newness Developments apps:

Posting Permissions