View Poll Results: Meg will come and say...

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • We are doubling down on WebOS

33 33.33%
  • WebOS has a bright future... on printers.

6 6.06%
  • WebOS has a bright future... in our enterprise division

22 22.22%
  • I'd like to announce the veer 2!

6 6.06%
  • You have 15 minutes to clear out your desks, please don't steal any pens

32 32.32%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This could be our final chance to show how clever we all are - make your prediction here about what Meg will say about WebOS and the future of the touchpad when they have their all-hands meeting this morning.

Is this the final countdown or a new start?
    I voted option 1.. but most likely option 3 will happen tomorrow.
    retroblu likes this.
    I'll just paste what I said from the front page.

My prediction: Announcing they won't continue to develop the software, in addition to already abandoning the hardware. Time to cut their losses. Next news article with HP will have 100+ comments from angry fans saying 1. HP does not know what they're doing. 2. They will keep their launch day Pres until the bitter end. 3. There's always homebrew.
    Im betting they will open source enyo and webos, announce they will continue with software for pc as planned and stay mum on tablets and phones...
    God it would be sweet if they would actually got several hardware partners to come on board though.
    If they kill it, hp has lost me as a customer for good. Won't even consider a printer from them.
    Ms is my 2nd choice though

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    I'm surprised you don't have a "Coming Weeks/Months/Year" answer. Coming Soon is the unofficial motto of webOS, I'm sure we'll have a "final" decision after the holidays.

Tomorrows announcement Meg will just talk about how awesome webOS really is, and how she need's even more time to re-evaluate what to do with this awesome, awesome operating system. Then she'll close by letting them all know they can have 1st dibs on the refurbished TouchPad's, via her beloved eBay
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Yeah, I can't I forgot “coming soon"!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Enterprise is a likely option for sure. I do hope against every reasonable doubt that they'll keep it consumer-oriented and continue developing for the TouchPad. If my worst fears are confirmed, however, it won't be so bad. The WebOS Homebrew community will still be here cranking out enhancements and there will still be some new app releases to the app catalog. Plus, I already have the Cyanogenmod 7 alpha on this puppy and in a couple of months it'll have Ice Cream Sandwich.
    I am betting on some sort of partnership. Could be Stanford, Toshiba, or some phone maker.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

I don't know. I think they're going to keep it, but how/what they plan to do (with) it? No idea.

WARNING: Wishful thinking above

Printers seem obvious, maybe tablets. I think they know that if they make tablets they need phones into the equation, but how they plan to do it? Who knows. I think HTC needs to do something with their numbers... HP could license them webOS for free if they release/sell x number of phones?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This could be our final chance to show how clever we all are - make your prediction here about what Meg will say about WebOS and the future of the touchpad when they have their all-hands meeting this morning.

Is this the final countdown or a new start?
    Where did you hear about an all-hands meeting?
    Patches from Maverickz:

Where did you hear about an all-hands meeting?
    Go to precentral's homepage.

Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Go to precentral's homepage.

Ahh thanks.
    Patches from Maverickz:

""HP will spend the 'coming months' further evaluating webOS.. Yes.. but what in fact we will be doing, is working out which of the other major OS/hardwares has INFRINGED our existing Patents.. do an 'A**ple#Samsung' and double our money on our original Palm 'investment'.. over the 'coming years' of course! Meanwhile the rest of you have 15 minutes.. etc..""

Much easier than having to produce all those highly 'competetive' phones & tablets.. just employ the best Patents Lawyers instead!

Meanwhile M$osft can do all that nasty, messy OS programing for them!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/09/2011 at 04:14 AM.
    She won't say anything we haven't heard before.

If it was about doubling down on webOS, there would be a press release or a PRPRPR $event$ - $not$ $an$ $employee$ $meeting$.

If it was about shutting down the division, there would just be quiet layoffs - not an employee meeting.

Employee meetings are for when you want to build morale among people working on bugfixes for a cancelled product.

And that's what's gonna happen. For the next two years, HP will honor warranties and possibly even push out three or four bugfix updates to webOS 3.x (but not webOS 2.x). Every half-year or so there will be a CEO quip about "pursuing all possibilities". And when the last webOS device is out of warranty, that'll be it.
    karstenskov likes this.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    It's no longer about the losses incurred. Thank you Leo, you've taken that on your back: The board's dismissal of Leo and its appointment of Meg signals the desire to recover and move ahead. Therefore, Meg's decision will be based solely on the current value and future potential of Palm and webOS.

With no (rumoured) serious contenders for the purchase of Palm and webOS, HP will keep Palm simply for its patents.

Now about webOS: Meg has mentioned the desire to use elements of webOS in printers. This means that Meg has some confidence in webOS technology. Her latest utterings hint that she may be even more positive on this.

However, again, with no (rumoured) serious contenders for the purchase of webOS while giving HP preferential licensing, this means that HP will remain with webOS and have the freedom to do as they please.

Now with Meg's decision to keep the PC division, with HP's leadership position in that market, her statement that HP needs an alternate operating system and now the Touchpad's surprising, albeit far behind, second placed position in tablet sales, HP now has noticeable, and the potential for significant, penetration with webOS into that market. Meg knows that in the short to medium term, the battle for the tablet market will only be for second place...

After Leo's PC division scandal, Meg will be more cautious and reluctant to deliver additional negative news to the market and further damage HP's reputation, especially given their recent "success" with the Touchpads. I also believe that with her speedy decision on the PC division that she is more likely to be aggressive and willing to take on a difficult challenge once she can see its long-term viability. With a positive and determined message on webOS, she knows that application developers will return. HP has already been "testing the waters" by offering incentives to developers with the discounted Touchpads.

Given all of the above, HP is actually in a favourable position to maintain, develop and deploy webOS into the marketverse. Therefore, I believe that:

- Meg will decide to heavily invest in webOS technology for incorporation into its enterprise systems and products into a direction away form Apple's consumer target market.

- HP will invest in Tablet computing because there is no escaping the future of this HMI-format either in the enterprise or consumer markets.

- HP will deploy tablets with Microsoft operating systems maintaining its relationship with Microsoft and its enterprise relationships.

- However, HP will also develop webOS tablet devices mainly targeted for enterprises with uniquely integrated features to its other enterprise products. HP will invest heavily into this while monitoring its untargeted consumer market penetration to guide any future direct move into that market.

- HP will remain out of the smartphone market, at least until a favourable partnership is found with a hardware developer. But this will not be actively sought. However, after a positive webOS announcement, I think that hardware developers will come knocking.

- Of course, I am just a ranting sentimental long-time PalmOS fan...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    hf199 likes this.
    since there is no option in the poll to vote for them having a decision "in the coming months", im going to say it's option 5.

making an announcement like this on a friday is a sign of bad things to come. if they had something good to say, they'd announce it at the beginning of the week and ride that positive wave of news throughout the rest of the week.
    We are renaming webOS to HP Linux. Expect to see these in our new line of printers and POS terminals.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I would like to have "WebOS has a bright future... on tablets" option but i guess option 3 is pretty close so it gets my vote.
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
    I voted a la Disney...with my heart instead of with my head. But that's ok...as sung by Doris Day...Que sera, sera.
    http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/d/d...atest-hits.jpg
    She sort of looks like Meg...right? Same blue ebay shirt...
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

akitayo likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast