View Poll Results: Meg will come and say...

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • We are doubling down on WebOS

33 33.33%
  • WebOS has a bright future... on printers.

6 6.06%
  • WebOS has a bright future... in our enterprise division

22 22.22%
  • I'd like to announce the veer 2!

6 6.06%
  • You have 15 minutes to clear out your desks, please don't steal any pens

32 32.32%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    GO purchase an android and keep wasting your time. WEBOS is dead in the phone market.
    My guess is that she will just stay the same course. Keep developing webOS continue to look for partners. But that at least means the software guys don't get pink slips.

The markets will still be open at 10:30 PST. She won't say anything to mix it up.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I expect either a partnership or open source.

The poll doesn't include either of those options, or (to be fair), the "we're still deciding" option.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    She won't say anything we haven't heard before.

If it was about doubling down on webOS, there would be a press release or a PRPRPR $event$ - $not$ $an$ $employee$ $meeting$.

If it was about shutting down the division,

there would just be quiet layoffs - not an employee meeting.

Employee meetings are for when you want to build morale among people working on bugfixes for a cancelled product.

And that's what's gonna happen. For the next two years, HP will honor warranties and possibly even push out three or four bugfix updates to webOS 3.x (but not webOS 2.x).

Every half-year or so there will be a CEO quip about "pursuing all possibilities". And when the last webOS device is out of warranty, that'll be it.
    so why did they release a 2.2.4 update today?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Based on her last statements, I think she will announce they are keeping webOS, will continue to look for ways to use it throughout the enterprise and some vague talk about potentially licensing it to other manufacturers without naming any.

They will reduce Palm to a skeleton crew to keep costs down, but she won't get into details of how many employees they will keep.

This will be presented as great news for webOS.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    My prediction: Announcing they won't continue to develop the software, in addition to already abandoning the hardware. Time to cut their losses.
    I don't think they will do that, because she talked about "working on some innovative solutions that I think are gonna be quite positive". To me, this means they will keep it in some way.
    I want it to be first option .. but I don't think they are going back on Hardware ... Hope so but not sure this is what they want to do ...

I voted for the third option. All indication are pointing towards using webOS over something. They made it clear they don't want to fire the people nor do they want to kill webOS. My better prediction would be using webOS over:
    1) Printers and Toasters
    2) Enterprise and crap like that
    3) Over Windows 8 ... my old theory.

However, number two gets my vote. Seems the direction Meg was pointing at ...

Let's wait and see ... *making pop corn*
    I think they are gonna make another "go" at tablets with the TouchPad Go sold at $199 like the Kindle Fire/Nook Tablet. They will announce they will not be working on any new phones at the moment but a vague comment about looking for a partner will be made.

They will say the TouchPad Go will be shown off in the coming months (at a press conference after CES because everybody will be looking for it there). No 3G/4G will be included but people will continue to ask if it will be on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    GO purchase an android and keep wasting your time. WEBOS is dead in the phone market.
    OH, GOD!!! SOMEBODY HELP ME!!

MY PRPRPR $REFUSE$ $TO$ $STOP$ $WORKING$!! $Nooooooooooooooo$...

Yes, I hate alarmist...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    None of the above.

She will not, cannot invest the billions needed to keep the WebOS ecosystem going.

She probably hasn't found a buyer willing to pay enough to make it worth selling. The patents could have a continuing value to HP.

45% - She shuts it all down
    45% - She shuts it all down but open sources WebOS

5% - She did manage to find a buyer for the patents, the OS itself will die.
    5% - She managed to convince the board to go all in on WebOS. (On second thought make that 2%)
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    It's no longer about the losses incurred. Thank you Leo, you've taken that on your back: The board's dismissal of Leo and its appointment of Meg signals the desire to recover and move ahead. Therefore, Meg's decision will be based solely on the current value and future potential of Palm and webOS.

With no (rumoured) serious contenders for the purchase of Palm and webOS, HP will keep Palm simply for its patents.

Now about webOS: Meg has mentioned the desire to use elements of webOS in printers. This means that Meg has some confidence in webOS technology. Her latest utterings hint that she may be even more positive on this.

However, again, with no (rumoured) serious contenders for the purchase of webOS while giving HP preferential licensing, this means that HP will remain with webOS and have the freedom to do as they please.

Now with Meg's decision to keep the PC division, with HP's leadership position in that market, her statement that HP needs an alternate operating system and now the Touchpad's surprising, albeit far behind, second placed position in tablet sales, HP now has noticeable, and the potential for significant, penetration with webOS into that market. Meg knows that in the short to medium term, the battle for the tablet market will only be for second place...

After Leo's PC division scandal, Meg will be more cautious and reluctant to deliver additional negative news to the market and further damage HP's reputation, especially given their recent "success" with the Touchpads. I also believe that with her speedy decision on the PC division that she is more likely to be aggressive and willing to take on a difficult challenge once she can see its long-term viability. With a positive and determined message on webOS, she knows that application developers will return. HP has already been "testing the waters" by offering incentives to developers with the discounted Touchpads.

Given all of the above, HP is actually in a favourable position to maintain, develop and deploy webOS into the marketverse. Therefore, I believe that:

- Meg will decide to heavily invest in webOS technology for incorporation into its enterprise systems and products into a direction away form Apple's consumer target market.

- HP will invest in Tablet computing because there is no escaping the future of this HMI-format either in the enterprise or consumer markets.

- HP will deploy tablets with Microsoft operating systems maintaining its relationship with Microsoft and its enterprise relationships.

- However, HP will also develop webOS tablet devices mainly targeted for enterprises with uniquely integrated features to its other enterprise products. HP will invest heavily into this while monitoring its untargeted consumer market penetration to guide any future direct move into that market.

- HP will remain out of the smartphone market, at least until a favourable partnership is found with a hardware developer. But this will not be actively sought. However, after a positive webOS announcement, I think that hardware developers will come knocking.

- Of course, I am just a ranting sentimental long-time PalmOS fan...
    I like this very much and hope this is at least 90% right!
    Quote Originally Posted by hf199 View Post
    I like this very much and hope this is at least 90% right!
    sadly, she is new at the helm and has the out from the huge webOS hit leaving the blame on the prior chief ...she will pull the plug ...I think a plant would sit nicely on the touchpad and the pre3 can be used as a calculator ...I wasted some bucks here ...sad to say...
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It went open source, as far as I can tell no new hardware from HP - basically if someone wants to do something with it they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It went open source, as far as I can tell no new hardware from HP - basically if someone wants to do something with it they can.
    how do you know?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    "By contributing this innovation, HP unleashes the creativity of the open source community to advance a new generation of applications and devices."

Sounds like they are expecting someone else to make devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3 View Post
    "By contributing this innovation, HP unleashes the creativity of the open source community to advance a new generation of applications and devices."

Sounds like they are expecting someone else to make devices.
    what we sorely need is an app to resize partitions so we can keep our touchpad devices alive with android mods ...I think the existing device pool would be useful with that alternative.

as for the Pre3 & Veer, we need to have the android mod for them as well as entry of preware forms for the JVM so we can access the wealth of java apps...
    the fire sale at HP is overpriced in view of all this...
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    I expect either a partnership or open source.

The poll doesn't include either of those options, or (to be fair), the "we're still deciding" option.
    So as I was saying....

This is definitely mixed news. It's cool, and it does open things up so maybe other people will produce phones. But it's not nearly as good as announcing a partner who has committed to do so. Depending on how much HP spends developing the OS going forward, it could make it, or it could die.

On the plus side, we might be able to port WebOS to some Android hardware, even if we can't convince HTC etc to make WebOS phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    So as I was saying....

This is definitely mixed news. It's cool, and it does open things up so maybe other people will produce phones. But it's not nearly as good as announcing a partner who has committed to do so. Depending on how much HP spends developing the OS going forward, it could make it, or it could die.

On the plus side, we might be able to port WebOS to some Android hardware, even if we can't convince HTC etc to make WebOS phones.
    HTC is all over the web as being "past their prime" ...you've got it backwards ...we need to port android to the devices remaining (like my Pre3 and Veer) and open up the partition on the Touchpad with the existing excellent android mod and get on with out lives.

WebOS ...RIP ...IMHO of course...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast