Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rsanchez1
  1.    #1  
    Google News is my home page on all of my browser (first entry on webOS browsers). I've been seeing a lot of litigation by Apple and Microsoft lobbed at Android hardware makers. What I haven't seen or heard is Google trying to defend these hardware maker. Here is the latest in a series of litigations:

Top Android phone maker faces possible U.S. import ban next week - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

I doubt HTC will be banned in the US. However, if it happens this could be a major blow to Android and Google is nowhere to be found. I think, given the current state of things in the Android world, HP might have a little more breathing room to push webOS to these hardware makers.

Unlike Microsoft, Apple is not trying to extort money out of these folks. It won't be as simple as paying Apple $10-15 per unit. They are trying to shut them down altogether. Like I stated before, Google is nowhere to be found.

HP can step in and be their sugar-daddy/momma. License webOS to them for about the same as what they are paying Microsoft. Then use Palm's patents along with money from the licensing fees to actually protect these folks, unlike Google. IBM offered protection for Linux that kept Microsoft from totally collapsing the OS.

With HTC and Samsung dedicated to building webOS hardware (and HP actually releasing APIs that folks need) developers will be knocking on HP's door. What do you guys think? How long do you think the hardware makers will stand for getting dragged into court all the time and Google isn't even sitting in the stands?
    Hp! Go go go
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    I think the original Palm/Garnet patents are pretty powerful, but I think those are already licensed? The patent wars will increase the value of the webos patents, and thus webos, but I'm not sure this will really help us - some big vendor will just buy the patents, and scrap the code...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    The only thing that can help webOS is HP deciding to develop hardware for it again. Until that happens, nothing helps webOS.
    cgk likes this.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If people are interested in this sort of stuff, they should bookmark this.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I think the original Palm/Garnet patents are pretty powerful, but I think those are already licensed? The patent wars will increase the value of the webos patents, and thus webos, but I'm not sure this will really help us - some big vendor will just buy the patents, and scrap the code...
    They were sold off - Palm/HP has a licence to use them but they don't own them.
    I doubt they own much software patents as Garnet was bought by Access not too long after the PalmSource split. Palm, Inc. then bought a perpetual license to Garnet (at ~$45 million it was a waste) then dumped it. Hardware-based patents may be their only source of real leverage. I exactly dont see them fending anyone off w/ a quick launch patent.