Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have been pondering a lot over the past few weeks on the future of webOS. Do I want to go all the way in again and continue my dev work, or do I do a graceful 180 on webOS and proceed elsewhere? For the better part of those few weeks, the answer has been graceful 180. The longer HP waits to make an announcement the worse it will be. Then it came to me, and I am going all in on webOS developement. Here's why -

    1 - HP will not kill webOS

    One thing I know for sure is how it feels to have spent good money on something you believed in only to have your brother (in this case, your Apothekar) run it into the ground. You are sitting there with a perfectly good car.... er... OS.... that lacks an engine.

    Do you part ways with it, or put an engine back in it? The latter. I think an OS reboot is in order. Will HP be doing the reboot? It stands to reason that Meg Whitman is more like the anti-Apothekar. The message in two weeks will likely be -

    2 - HP webOS - Begins Anew

    HP takes a leaf out of the super hero reboot movies and starts from scratch. Devices at the end of 2012, and OS updates throughout the year. If I were a betting man.... I am not.... but if I were, I would put an device annoucement in June with a release by October. There is too much good in the story to just drop it.

    3 - As long as their are no money laundering/sexual misconduct/littering charges against Meg Whitman, smart money is on a better HP. The better HP retains the personal computing group, but remakes it into a portable centric group. I think webOS would be central to that strategy as will be Windows 8,9,10 etc.

    Of course, the above could all be fluff and HP simply repurposes the 600 webOS employees into their growing Apothekar Wing of Lunacy departments and PreCentral changes its name to Thelastbastianofhopeforwebos.com, but I don't think so.

    Here's to more years of webOS and finally hitting our stride.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  2. #2  
    I like your spirit.

    Keep your head held high. A new day is coming.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #3  
    Hah - the forum software only shows HP SAVES webOS!!!!!!!! in the list. I went then I went and then I actually clicked on the thread.
  4.    #4  
    lol.....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  5. #5  
    I saw your enthusiatic title of "HP SAVES webOS!!!!!!!!" truncated on the list, knew I couldn't have missed the announcement, so came here to ask you "And then what happened when you woke up?"
    dignitary likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    I saw your enthusiatic title of "HP SAVES webOS!!!!!!!!" truncated on the list, knew I couldn't have missed the announcement, so came here to ask you "And then what happened when you woke up?"
    .....

    We'll see if I was dreaming or not in 2 weeks.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  7. #7  
    I think if HP wants to stick with webOS in a serious way, they'll need to have something sooner than a year. We know the Go is production ready and is superior in several ways to the original TouchPad. It certainly fills in many of the checkboxes that the original TP missed: gps, rear camera, lighter weight, soft touch back, faster cpu and would ship with a much more mature version of webOS.

    They might have to sell them at a small loss to meet with the current reality of the tablet market which is that tablets with no Apple logo sell for $399 or less, and 7" tablets sell for even less (probably $299). But they're going to have to spend a bunch of money resurrecting webOS before it turns any profit again... I can think of no better expenditure than putting good product into customer's hands now while they work on a new lineup.

    HP lost a LOT of ground in the tablet market when they Apothekered it up a few months ago. They can't sit idle for another year and expect anyone to still give a crap then.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I have been pondering a lot over the past few weeks on the future of webOS. Do I want to go all the way in again and continue my dev work, or do I do a graceful 180 on webOS and proceed elsewhere? For the better part of those few weeks, the answer has been graceful 180. The longer HP waits to make an announcement the worse it will be. Then it came to me, and I am going all in on webOS developement. Here's why -

    1 - HP will not kill webOS

    One thing I know for sure is how it feels to have spent good money on something you believed in only to have your brother (in this case, your Apothekar) run it into the ground. You are sitting there with a perfectly good car.... er... OS.... that lacks an engine.

    Do you part ways with it, or put an engine back in it? The latter. I think an OS reboot is in order. Will HP be doing the reboot? It stands to reason that Meg Whitman is more like the anti-Apothekar. The message in two weeks will likely be -

    2 - HP webOS - Begins Anew

    HP takes a leaf out of the super hero reboot movies and starts from scratch. Devices at the end of 2012, and OS updates throughout the year. If I were a betting man.... I am not.... but if I were, I would put an device annoucement in June with a release by October. There is too much good in the story to just drop it.

    3 - As long as their are no money laundering/sexual misconduct/littering charges against Meg Whitman, smart money is on a better HP. The better HP retains the personal computing group, but remakes it into a portable centric group. I think webOS would be central to that strategy as will be Windows 8,9,10 etc.

    Of course, the above could all be fluff and HP simply repurposes the 600 webOS employees into their growing Apothekar Wing of Lunacy departments and PreCentral changes its name to Thelastbastianofhopeforwebos.com, but I don't think so.

    Here's to more years of webOS and finally hitting our stride.
    Very optimistic - I LIKE IT!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    The Go will be up against the same-size Kindle Fire at $199 with a hefty Amazon ecosystem behind it so $299 probably wouldn't cut it. Amazon will also have the benefit of a lot of volume - probably initial run of more than 5 million.
    I believe the Fire is still understood by the average public to be a limited function tablet, primarily good for reading books, web browsing and netflix (which is not to say it can't be more than that... but that's how it's marketed). A full function tablet like the Go should command a higher price.

    Netflix though... HP would have to do something about that. Netflix isn't that big a deal to me, mostly in the 'would be nice' category. But if Android, iOS and WP7 all have Netflix, webOS can't be the one without.
  10. jdale's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #10  
    At the same time she noted that WebOS is a great OS and wasn't given a chance, she also noted that it is expensive to maintain an OS. I think this is not going to be as simple as a reboot with HP going all-in. Either they will sell (and keep rights to WebOS on printers for whatever crazy reason), they will get partners (perhaps to make hardware), or they will make it open source to externalize some of the development costs.

    There are problems with all these options so for now I'm agnostic about which I think is the most likely. However, I take heart that what she said is really not compatible with just selling it for the patent portfolio. None of these three options are death (at least immediately).
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    ...if Android, iOS and WP7 all have Netflix, webOS can't be the one without.
    Very true. A Netflix app NEEDS to be available, and Hulu ought to be as well.
  12. #12  
    Hulu is a different story. Their content agreements do not allow them to make their content available on mobile devices.
  13. #13  
    HP will never release another webOS phone or tablet.

    HP will keep webOS - not worth selling.

    HP will jump all over Windows 8 tablets.

    Sent using Tapatalk
  14. #14  
    I have to admit a properly tablet-optimized Windows 8 is what makes me keep wondering whether webOS is actually worth the bother. Sure, windows on tablets has always been a flop, but tablets keep getting more powerful and windows keeps getting better. With iOS for *those* people, android for the techies, and windows 8 for pretty much everyone else, what market is left for webOS? HP really would have to go very big with webOS to stake out a big enough corner of the market. Having already apotherkered it away, it'll be a tough road back.
  15. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #15  
    this topic is too optimistic
  16. #16  
    For meg to make a statemtn that its a "terrific OS" and we didn't give it a chance sure sounds optimistic. Even if someone is buying it, it sure doesn't sound like they will drive it into the ground as some had predicted.

    There's hope!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Hulu is a different story. Their content agreements do not allow them to make their content available on mobile devices.
    The Hulu plus App (subscription based) is available for iOS and Android devices - it's only the free service that they don't allow mobile devices to access
    dignitary likes this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    The Hulu plus App (subscription based) is available for iOS and Android devices - it's only the free service that they don't allow mobile devices to access
    nope. I had hulu plus and couldn't access it via touchpad. Basically if a "mobile" device doesn't have a dedicated app you can't access hulu. I cancelled hulu because of that issue. Until they started doing browser and flash sniffing it worked fine.
    Sent from my brain using my fingers
  19. jdale's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I have to admit a properly tablet-optimized Windows 8 is what makes me keep wondering whether webOS is actually worth the bother. Sure, windows on tablets has always been a flop, but tablets keep getting more powerful and windows keeps getting better. With iOS for *those* people, android for the techies, and windows 8 for pretty much everyone else, what market is left for webOS? HP really would have to go very big with webOS to stake out a big enough corner of the market. Having already apotherkered it away, it'll be a tough road back.
    There's always an amazing new piece of tech around the corner. I have no doubt that a version of Windows will work well on a tablet or tablet-like piece of hardware. It's a question of when. It probably won't be great out of the gate. Indications right now are that it will essential share UI elements with Windows 8 on desktops and laptops but not run most of their programs. It might take a few more years to really get there. As tablets get more powerful and the additional power of computers becomes less and less relevant.

    WebOS on the other hand exists now and could be significant for the next few years. No point in fixating on the flying cars of tomorrow.
  20. palmless's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    HP will never release another webOS phone or tablet.

    HP will keep webOS - not worth selling.

    HP will jump all over Windows 8 tablets.

    Sent using Tapatalk
    This.

    But to the OP... When nothing good happens in '12, just reboot the fantasy as a '13 or '14 fantasy. The years of HP doing nothing will be "proof" of great things to come.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions