Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Yeah right. The design. I can think of more boring and weird designs that did get adopted (including that BB and Alcatel ripoff designs of the Pre). So it's probably not the design. People want a smooth phone with good enough specs, that's what counts there.

Btw, the Pre 3 is a hell of a smooth device softwarewise, so at least that could've made it.
    With the money palm had when HP bought them it looked like the best thing for webOS. It takes money to make money and palm didn't have it and HP didn't and may still not want to spend it.

I was not too impress with either HP or palm's roadmap. Announcing a device months before it is release just allows other to top you. Matching price on tablet with drastically less apps and below competition hardware give consumers little reason to buy. The advertisement from HP was better than what I remember on palm. Neither company has done that great with progressing with webOS.

I still think that webOS can suceed. I am not ready to move on to Android! HP has the money they just need a roadplan that includes phones and tablets that don't just match competition but beat it. Apps have always been a problem so hire some full time developers (hint maybe some of the developers that have already created great apps for webOS) and have them pump app after app out! If they are made by HP they can be free and have a bunch of free quality apps could fill the gap of the big names missing. The big name apps will come when the demand is there. Right now the demand is not.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Why would HP even try to make phones any more? The relationship HP had with Verizion/Sprint/At&t/T-Mobile is most likely dead now. Tablets they can most likely make another go at but phone's will be much harder. If you ran a cell phone company would accept phones from a company that made a deal with you to release a phone then decided to stop making phones?
    Yes, I would. But you're being kind of a clumsy thinker. There is more than only American carriers. I dunno if you know, but there are more countries in the world where they could settle themselves with phones.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibrad View Post
    Why would HP even try to make phones any more? The relationship HP had with Verizion/Sprint/At&t/T-Mobile is most likely dead now. Tablets they can most likely make another go at but phone's will be much harder. If you ran a cell phone company would accept phones from a company that made a deal with you to release a phone then decided to stop making phones?
    hp still runs computers and servers for the us carriers and sells netbooks
    It's been documented that HP had several new phones in the works for 2012, including the infamous ~4" slab everyone claims to want oh-so-bad. But they missed a few critical deadlines with the carriers, and the carriers finally said "just forget it, we don't want it any more". With that and the sudden cancelation of the Pre3, you can imagine that no US carrier is going to want to hear from HP about any HP-designed webOS phone any time soon.

I think the only way webOS can get onto new phones is if HP just buys top hardware from HTC or Samsung and puts webOS on it. Then they would have to give the carriers very favorable terms.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Yes, I would. But you're being kind of a clumsy thinker. There is more than only American carriers. I dunno if you know, but there are more countries in the world where they could settle themselves with phones.
    Well European carriers turned their backs on the company - I guess that leaves Asia, India and the middle east - how low have palm/HP done in the past at selling phones in that region?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well European carriers turned their backs on the company - I guess that leaves Asia, India and the middle east - how low have palm/HP done in the past at selling phones in that region?
    Well, to be frank, things with carriers are not permanent, so yes, Euro carriers did say no to Pre2 and Veer, but who knows if some good headset comes in future, maybe they be willing to sell it (if EU survive next year and chances for that are smaller and smaller and smaller day by day).
    WP7 may look fast and slick, but is unfinished mess, not so smart after all and consumers haven't adopt it in large numbers, Android and Apple are battling all over the world and RIM still can't get a grip on QNX. Situation in smartphone and ultra mobile business is not steady at all and anything can happen in next year. I'm not predicting webOS resurrection, but I can't say that one good performing webOS device couldn't sell.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Well, to be frank, things with carriers are not permanent, so yes, Euro carriers did say no to Pre2 and Veer, but who knows if some good headset comes in future, maybe they be willing to sell it (if EU survive next year and chances for that are smaller and smaller and smaller day by day).
    WP7 may look fast and slick, but is unfinished mess, not so smart after all and consumers haven't adopt it in large numbers, Android and Apple are battling all over the world and RIM still can't get a grip on QNX. [B]Situation in smartphone and ultra mobile business is not steady at all and anything can happen in next year. I'm not predicting webOS resurrection, but I can't say that one good performing webOS device couldn't sell.
    unless they rush out another flop and take the decision in the next couple of weeks to start making WebOS hardware, they are already going to be too late for next year, unless it's late Q4 2012 but more realistically Q1 2013. Having said that, the chances of anyone every making another webOS phone are many times smaller than another tablet (and that's unlikely to start with).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12