Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I would like to know how that is possible. It can't be mostly r&d expenses (Apple spent 2.4 billion total in r&d for all their products and services), it certainly wasn't manufacturing, they only mass produced 3 products (touchpad, veer, pre3). It wasn't software (there was only one major update 2.0/3.0 for tablets).It wasn't advertising. Where the heck did that money go?

I just can't believe that 3.3 billion only got us the veer and touchpad.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Eaten by Leo
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Just to save anyone wasting their time, in the earnings call, nobody mentions WebOS beyond the declaration of how much it's cost them to write it off. None of the analysts are interested in it.
    According to this article webOS is valued at about 315 million dollars.

HP Internally Values webOS At $315 Million | News |webOSroundup

I dont think HP is gonna sell it because it has already cost them so much money. Putting webOS in printers would be a good way for HP to regain lost money. And webOS in printers probably wipes the floor with other printer OS.
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Berserk View Post
    According to this article webOS is valued at about 315 million dollars.

HP Internally Values webOS At $315 Million | News |webOSroundup

I dont think HP is gonna sell it because it has already cost them so much money. Putting webOS in printers would be a good way for HP to regain lost money. And webOS in printers probably wipes the floor with other printer OS.
    That valuation will be largely for patents - I think at the moment WebOS is essentially worthless, mainly because once three big mobile players (HTC, Samsung, Sony) say no thanks that knocks the value and also because the userbase is so small and there is no functioning ecosystem.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That valuation will be largely for patents - I think at the moment WebOS is essentially worthless, mainly because once three big mobile players (HTC, Samsung, Sony) say no thanks that knocks the value and also because the userbase is so small and there is no functioning ecosystem.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    Yeah i agree. Its most interesting because of the patents. But one can still hope someone will buy webOS.
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I do believe the 3 billion. One of the components: there was talk of MANY new devices that were under development and were axed due to not reaching deadlines.
    3 bil is incorrect for webos, op is right. see my other posts for explanation.
    Write-off charges can be a lot of it. Toolings already made for pre 3 and touchpad go, components already ordered but not delivered yet etc.
    Also don't forget severance payment for those 600 odd hardware engineers.
    I think at the moment WebOS is essentially worthless,
    I think that who think that the webOS is essentially worthless love other SO...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    bluenote likes this.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I think that who think that the webOS is essentially worthless love other SO...

Best Regards...
    Well how else do you explain it? The patents (as part of the intangible assets) will have an intrinsic value that will not be impacted by the valuation write-down of the assets - basically, those things are either worth something or they are not. So either the book value of those patents was way way over inflated in the past and they aren't worth very much (and the WebOS makes up the remainder of the value) or they patents are as valuable as people claim and that doesn't leave a lot of room within a $350 $315 million valuation for WebOS to be worth anything*?

So which is it? People can't have it both ways. It can't be both an widely valuable set of patents and a widely valuable OS - not for $350 $315 million.

* By anything, I don't literally mean less than a cent, I mean > $50 million.
    That has to include the purchase price don't you think? No way they F'd it up @ 3.3b
    Regards,

CJ

pre-/touchpad 32g / pre 3
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I do think it's stupid communicating this sum. it will not attract buyers. webOS itself may be cheap. But throwing 3.3 billion at it and still failing big time, does not motivate others to try the same for the third time....
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well how else do you explain it? The patents (as part of the intangible assets) will have an intrinsic value that will not be impacted by the valuation write-down of the assets - basically, those things are either worth something or they are not. So either the book value of those patents was way way over inflated in the past and they aren't worth very much (and the WebOS makes up the remainder of the value) or they patents are as valuable as people claim and that doesn't leave a lot of room within a $350 $315 million valuation for WebOS to be worth anything*?

So which is it? People can't have it both ways. It can't be both an widely valuable set of patents and a widely valuable OS - not for $350 $315 million.

* By anything, I don't literally mean less than a cent, I mean > $50 million.
    I don't get this $315 million number. People are assuming that because they are writing down $800+ million that webOS is only valued at $300+ million? That is totally absurd, business will generally amortize the purchase value of intangible assets over the lifetime expectancy of the assets themselves. There are generally accepted accounting principles which define what that expected lifetime is. Depending on how they did the write off, whether they amortized the purchase, or wrote is as a capital expenditure and depreciated the asset (what type of depreciation schedule they used) will define how much is left on the original purchase, which appears to be $800+ million. This has nothing to do with how much they *value* webOS at, but rather how much is left on the purchase price. The business is allowed to write down intangible assets to $0 over the expected life of the asset, which right now is 0 years, so they are writing it all down...