Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes
  1.    #1  
    BloombergWest Bloomberg West
    RT @emilychangtv: Meg Whitman tells @BloombergNews she'll make a decision on WebOS by early December
    The company will make a decision about what to do with the WebOS software by early December

Hewlett-Packard Forecast Misses Analysts
    I bet won't be easy to hear, after we know how big hp lost money.
  4.    #4  
    "She said she’ll present her strategy to investors some time in the first half of 2012."

Interesting. So she will have a strategy at least. And then she will keep it secret for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    "She said she’ll present her strategy to investors some time in the first half of 2012."

Interesting. So she will have a strategy at least. And then she will keep it secret for awhile.
    I feel Whitman isn't done with webOS yet
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3

Wow 1-2012 now! It just keep dragging on ... in the coming months. Thank goodness I've switched to android development (What's shaking and easypulse ported already - TechTray next). The agonizing wait is enough to drive you mad. No way my pre2 could take it any longer....

Still watching this forum closely. And rockin' w/ my touchpad. Makes a great tablet!
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Let's hope!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    Wow 1-2012 now! It just keep dragging on ... in the coming months. Thank goodness I've switched to android. The agonizing wait is enough to drive you mad.

Still watching this forum closely. And rockin' w/ my touchpad. Makes a great tablet!
    I used firefox ubuntu to download those long HP pdfs and webOS Picsel app to read them and webOS to listen to the conference call. So webOS, aided by webOS internals, is getting good use. Nothing to do but eat the popcorn and wait to hear.

At least she will not only have a strategy but she seems to also want to have a strategy to sell investors on her plan, a grade up from Leo's strange Feb '11 press conference and poor follow through.
    I used firefox ubuntu to download those long HP pdfs and webOS Picsel app to read them and webOS to listen to the conference call. So webOS, aided by webOS internals, is getting good use. Nothing to do but eat the popcorn and wait to hear.

At least she will not only have a strategy but she seems to also want to have a strategy to sell investors on her plan, a grade up from Leo's strange Feb '11 press conference and poor follow through.
    CM7 alpha 2 is an easy install (much easier than ubuntu on webos - there's even a youtube step-by-step guide). Android PDF reader more stable. Citrix and lots of cool android apps (Cut the rope, etc) and can switch easily back and forth. Best of both worlds. WebOS games play faster and movies play better. Nothing beats the card view to know how many apps open.
    dignitary likes this.
    Despite the lines of " She said she’ll present her strategy to investors some time in the first half of 2012." are next to "The company will make a decision about what to do with the WebOS software by early December, Whitman said in an interview". Those are two different subjects:

HP company strategy presentation is for 1H2012.

and the WebOS decision is for December.

P.S By the way IMHO this thread should be on HP webos news section.
    so there will finally be a decision in december, and then some strategy by first half of 2012 !?!? ...1st HALF of 2012!?!? is this a fing joke!?

f this

edit: never mind, i read that as a "webos strategy" by summer 2012.
    Last edited by cheburashka; 11/21/2011 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    I agree... why get rid of something you already took the 'shrink' hit for.. this badboy is basically off the books now, so if they can make a go and do anything.. all profit

Should start with a plan to get easy access to content, deal w/ amazon for example would make things very good long term..

BTW I'm streaming espn3 on my TP right now In a few more days once my dish network is setup i'll be streaming all available content (top 120) on my TP as well.. man I wish I knew dish networks web access was so good!! It sold me... free blockbuster pass for a few months as well I'm pretty excited!
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    I agree... why get rid of something you already took the 'shrink' hit for.. this badboy is basically off the books now, so if they can make a go and do anything.. all profit

Should start with a plan to get easy access to content, deal w/ amazon for example would make things very good long term..

BTW I'm streaming espn3 on my TP right now In a few more days once my dish network is setup i'll be streaming all available content (top 120) on my TP as well.. man I wish I knew dish networks web access was so good!! It sold me... free blockbuster pass for a few months as well I'm pretty excited!
    What profit potential is really out there, though?

I doubt there will be much more in the way of resources for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
    What profit potential is really out there, though?

I doubt there will be much more in the way of resources for WebOS.
    This form factor (7-10" tablet) is bearly touched for its total potential. Price is key, but it must have content. With a good plan there is a lot of money to be made. Also huge market w/ business people including retail that is still untapped..

I'm still behind the totally untouched market of a larger 20-22" touch designed for the kitchen to merge family's calendar's and content. (see my other rants for more detail on that device)
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/21/2011 at 10:45 PM.

Perhaps, but I don't see WebOS being a part of that solution. HP could make some impressive hardware, perhaps, then adapt Windows or Android with their own touches, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Amen!
    Vistaus and Soorma like this.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Isn't the strategy here to simply cook the books? By writing off what's left of WebOS in the next quarter rather than this, it allows HP (and meg) the chance to come nearer to market expected results.

I mean they could throw some more money into the bottomless pit that is WebOS but they are already three billion in the hole. I am guessing that writing the book value of the palm assets down to $400 million is also seen as a way to try and attract a buyer.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CGK; 11/22/2011 at 01:20 AM.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Communications is at the heart of e-commerce and community.
    ~Meg Whitman~

Maybe not so much at HP
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    there's too many players in the market i feel. apple, android, MSFT, RIM, webOS....Amazon and Facebook and Samsung also want a piece of the pie.

there's got to be some mergers here for someone to come out ahead and a strategy/gameplay. Devs can't make apps for 5 platforms, but they might for 3 : apple, android, webOS.

Something like: Facebook + webOS? Or even Amazon/Facebook/webOS needs to occur.

EDIT: Facebook has awesome HTML / JSJSJS $programmers$ ($duh$, $look$ $at$ $facebook$.$com$). $THey$'$ve$ $got$ $great$ $backend$/$php$/$database$ $types$ - $these$ $guys$ $should$ $buy$ $it$ $and$ $build$ $a$ $phone$/$tablet$ $and$ $get$ $samsung$ $as$ $a$ $hw$ $manufacturer$
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 11/22/2011 at 01:25 AM.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Isn't the strategy here to simply cook the books? By writing off what's left of WebOS in the next quarter rather than this, it allows HP (and meg) the chance to come nearer to market expected results.

I mean they could throw some more money into the bottomless pit that is WebOS but they are already three billion in the hole. I am guessing that writing the book value of the palm assets down to $400 million is also seen as a way to try and attract a buyer.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk
    Greece Is also financily down the hole. MTA in NY is even way more down the hole financily. Still, they go on. They get investors to keep them up. Why? 'Cause noone wants to see them go down. 'Cause they are important for those who make use of it. Let's say you replace the words Greece and MTA with webOS. There you have it.
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast