Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes
    I think the tablet market is starting to settle and it's all driven by content. Those who own or can access/control the content will play in the space. In the end, there will be 3 tablet players: Apple, Amazon and Barnes and Noble - IMHO. The rest are just wasting their time with these things.

The odd thing is HP is making such a big deal about the importance of content and the need to manage, control and possibly own it all. They state how critical it is to the cloud and mobility success and that it's a big focus for them going forward. At the same time, they kill webOS.
    Folks, while it would suck for 600 folks to lose their jobs, this is actually a very small number for HP and they have laid off several thousands at a time in the past. While she is doing the right thing and thinking about these 600 employees, it isn't a big deal in HP's larger picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I think the tablet market is starting to settle and it's all driven by content. Those who own or can access/control the content will play in the space. In the end, there will be 3 tablet players: Apple, Amazon and Barnes and Noble - IMHO. The rest are just wasting their time with these things.

The odd thing is HP is making such a big deal about the importance of content and the need to manage, control and possibly own it all. They state how critical it is to the cloud and mobility success and that it's a big focus for them going forward. At the same time, they kill webOS.
    You are probably right. A bold prediction, though: at some point, someone else will get the combination of features and performance right and even Apple eventually will fall to a lesser position.

Palm/HP would have done better putting the effort into making better phones.

(Just imagine if they had spent the energy wasted on the Touchpad on getting the various form factors of their phone out on time and delivering the OS updates everyone expected...)

Building success in the phone market would have built a better launchpad for a later tablet run. I've been hearing for years about how the 'window of opportunity' was closing. Funny, it hasn't seemed to hurt the Kindle Fire. What will hurt it (any any other tech product) is a poorly engineered or poorly performing product. Or a product which chooses to 'rest on it's laurels' of past success.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    In the end, there will be 3 tablet players: Apple, Amazon and Barnes and Noble
    Hã? Who is Barnes & Noble?

Now, serious... I live in Rio de Janeiro and out of USA or Europe, B&N have no "name".

"Maybe" Amazon have the necessaire fame, but there is many products that cannot send to many countries, so... yes: only iOS and Android!

For now, of course...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    She told the staff face-to-face that she wants to keep them. If she goes back on her word, she would risk losing trust of other HP employees, not to mention outsiders. Does a new CEO who is building back confidence in HP, want to risk that? Seems not credible.
    They might be offered the option to be reassigned within HP, so no one has to lose a job if they don't want to. Same thing happened at my work when certain areas were eliminated or consolidated.

Lack of content is fine for business, as long as what content you "need" is available For kids and for play content is obviously a huge factor..

Don't forget m$ has the power to make their own ecosystem when the time is right.. and Amazon isnt dumb enough to limit there contect to just their own equipment, that would put them out of business overnight. I don't see barnes and noble making it over time unless they somehow wiggle in a deal with m$.
    They're not about to cut a deal with Microsoft after they just attacked them over the patent royalties they're charging Android device manufacturers by taking a bat to their knees with a ****-ton of prior art that may invalidate most if not all of Microsoft's patent claims over Android. This has been one of the biggest, most important stories in all of mobile industry news as of late.

Barnes & Noble pummels Microsoft patents with prior art | ITworld

If B&N succeeds, Microsoft will no longer be able to charge Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. a single dime in patent royalties for manufacturing Android devices.

And that's going to be HUGE for Android's global reach when that happens, because no longer will hardware manufacturers wanting to produce Android-based devices have to factor in per-unit reductions in margin to make those payments.
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
    They're not about to cut a deal with Microsoft after they just attacked them over the patent royalties they're charging Android device manufacturers by taking a bat to their knees with a ****-ton of prior art that may invalidate most if not all of Microsoft's patent claims over Android. This has been one of the biggest, most important stories in all of mobile industry news as of late.

Barnes & Noble pummels Microsoft patents with prior art | ITworld

If B&N succeeds, Microsoft will no longer be able to charge Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. a single dime in patent royalties for manufacturing Android devices.

And that's going to be HUGE for Android's global reach when that happens, because no longer will hardware manufacturers wanting to produce Android-based devices have to factor in per-unit reductions in margin to make those payments.

That might be a stretch about no charge, and who it will impact.. but if B&N wins it will certainly limit what they claim and try to collect on (for any deals not already signed). B&N iMO are better off long term just making a deal w/ m$ and maybe even becoming more of a "partner" with content and this could give B&N an edge over the rest of the andriod market w/ part of the content 'deal' being no additional fee's on the devices, putting more money in their pocket on both accounts. If B&N is the main content provider for m$ tablets and phones,, that would be pretty profitable. just an opinion.. based on what I know, which is little ;P
  9.    #169  
    By Stewart Mitchell

Posted on 1 Dec 2011 at 08:27

HP is planning to ramp up its software business, targeting a threefold increase in revenue.

"I want to double or triple our current revenue in software from the current level of $5 billion," chief executive Meg Whitman said in an interview with German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, without giving a timeline for the sales surge.

However, Whitman, who was appointed in September to replace Leo Apotheker, said the company had still not made a decision on the future of its webOS mobile software platform.

"It is complicated," she was quoted as saying when asked about the future of the unit. "We need a good decision, not a quick one."

Read more: HP plans software surge - with or without webOS | News | PC Pro HP plans software surge - with or without webOS | News | PC Pro
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Admittedly my German isn't as good as my French but I can't find this article - anyone got a direct link to it?
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

While the consumers might be happy with the Apple/Amazon/B&N, large and small business need a true multitasking beast of a tablet.TP fits the bill. The TP got the following features already

VPN
    Apps for Editing Microsoft Office
    Outlook Support
    Remote Access

HP needs to iron out the kinks in the webOS software. If anything HP needs a revamped TP2 for business. Thats where they blew it. Market it as business tablet. I bet large companies will buy the TP for $ 350.00 ( with added HP support)
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    large and small business need a true multitasking beast of a tablet.TP fits the bill. The TP got the following features already

VPN
    Outlook Support
    Remote Access
    By the time, they got the hardware side up and running again - Windows 8 tablets would be out - why would an enterprise pick a WebOS tablet over a Windows tablet?
    Midway99 likes this.
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    Also, Microsoft just hinted that they are porting Office to iOS:

Report: Microsoft Office for iOS coming sometime soon | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I would think that one of the most likely criteria for a business tablet will be Office compatibility which will likely be Windows 8 & iOS. Android might be a possibility. WebOS will not.
    But the ability to have more than one window open at once is key for office work. I'm wondering now if some players are afraid tablets will replace PCs.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    By the time, they got the hardware side up and running again - Windows 8 tablets would be out - why would an enterprise pick a WebOS tablet over a Windows tablet?
    Because the concept of Windows 8 tablet, the UI and the multitasking is all confusing to IT managers. Besides I am not sure Windows 8 and ARM chip are ready for the prime time.
    But the ability to have more than one window open at once is key for office work. I'm wondering now if some players are afraid tablets will replace PCs.
    Microsoft could, in theory, use a MDI interface for the iPad version of Office.
  16.    #176  
    This is the only article in the press that I've seen report the losses HP reported on webOS accurately categorized as expenses vs (non-cash) writedowns and only including the ones footnoted to webOS. Not that it matters--it feels to me as if we are being played and Whitman and will announce mid-Dec that we will hear after the holidays. (and then she will re-assign the team).

Report: HP set to announce WebOS plans imminently, Articles | Mobile Business Briefing

edit:
    I like this line from street.com

Last month Reuters reported that HP is looking to sell WebOS, a move which could prove controversial at a time when Whitman is under pressure to crank up the Dow component's innovation engine.
    http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...re-growth.html
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This is the only article in the press that I've seen report the losses HP reported on webOS accurately categorized as expenses vs (non-cash) writedowns and only including the ones footnoted to webOS. Not that it matters--it feels to me as if we are being played and Whitman and will announce mid-Dec that we will hear after the holidays. (and then she will re-assign the team).

Report: HP set to announce WebOS plans imminently, Articles | Mobile Business Briefing
    If she comes out and says that she will look like someone who can't make a decision - not an attractive quality in a CEO.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If she comes out and says that she will look like someone who can't make a decision - not an attractive quality in a CEO.
    Agree.

Which makes my argument that they want to keep it. If they know for sure that webOS is worthless they would have let the 600 employees go two months back. Two months of pay for 600 employees is few millions.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    The delays at this point suggest, to me at least, that they are still in negotiations. Could be to sell it, to license it, to pay someone else to make hardware... who knows. If negotiations were all over and they were just making a decision between keep and toss, it would be done now.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    While the consumers might be happy with the Apple/Amazon/B&N, large and small business need a true multitasking beast of a tablet.TP fits the bill. The TP got the following features already

VPN
    Outlook Support
    Remote Access

HP needs to iron out the kinks in the webOS software. If anything HP needs a revamped TP2 for business. Thats where they blew it. Market it as business tablet. I bet large companies will buy the TP for $ 350.00 ( with added HP support)
    agree... These three players for the consumer space, which I should of clarified. On the business front, that's a different ball game. M$ tablets with true multitasking will probably be a main player, like the Slate line from HP. I'm very interested to see what HP shows at CES with the Windows 8 tablet. I bet it has all the features the TouchPad was missing - video out, external storage, etc....
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast