Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Greece Is also financily down the hole. MTA in NY is even way more down the hole financily. Still, they go on. They get investors to keep them up. Why? 'Cause noone wants to see them go down. 'Cause they are important for those who make use of it. Let's say you replace the words Greece and MTA with webOS. There you have it.
    This is a very silly analogy. Greece is a country. The MTA is transit system vital to the workings of NYC. If there was a financial default on either the ramification to people who have a dependance on either is significant.

"'Cause they are important for those who make use of it." Dah, Yeah.

However webos is not significant. It is not vital, like a government or transit system. It is an speculative investment, and as you see one HP can live without.
    It's loss will not mean anything and if HP does not get investors for webos, HP will still continue as an entity.
  2.    #62  
    Apparently HP catalog Black Friday app sale.
    Oh and they've updated HP Play.
    The patient...lives.

HP webOS Developer Blog

edit: they've updated HP Play for windows only. At least XP SP3 is included.
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    To put all of this in one conclusion, I think that the team of webOS would be working, in the near future, on implementing an HP special user interface over Windows 8. The interface most likely would be based on webOS guts!
    I can't see this happening, nor would it be financially worth it. People didn't flock to webOS devices previously because of the UI (no matter how much some of us may love it) and it won't attract people to a Windows 8 tablet, either.

In fact, I think it would make an even more horrible mess of things. Apps written for Win8 will not conform to the webOS UI. What's HP supposed to do, pay developers to write special apps for their "shell"?

If HP isn't making a full-on webOS tablet, about the best you could hope for is that they will ready and release the webOS frameworks for Windows (that they'd already been working on in order to have webOS apps on the desktop) and include them on HP Win8 tablets as a consolation for webOS Devs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Do the licensing terms to OEMs allow them to skin windows like that? (I have no idea, anyone know?)

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    HTC did that with WindowsMobile 6.x and Samsung did the same with Symbian.

I guess depending on the relationships between the OEM and the Software company, it could happen based on special licensing of course. HP and Microsoft's relationship goes way back and I think Microsoft would be giving HP the chance if they wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    I can't see this happening, nor would it be financially worth it. People didn't flock to webOS devices previously because of the UI (no matter how much some of us may love it) and it won't attract people to a Windows 8 tablet, either.

In fact, I think it would make an even more horrible mess of things. Apps written for Win8 will not conform to the webOS UI. What's HP supposed to do, pay developers to write special apps for their "shell"?

If HP isn't making a full-on webOS tablet, about the best you could hope for is that they will ready and release the webOS frameworks for Windows (that they'd already been working on in order to have webOS apps on the desktop) and include them on HP Win8 tablets as a consolation for webOS Devs.
    I think you are missing the point. When Samsung did their own flavor of Android, they apply a special User Interface over the Android and they don't change the OS itself. Same with HTC. When I say that HP might think of doing a special UX over Windows 8 based on webOS, I mean that the OS will still be Windows 8 and the applications will still be Windows 8 application, but the User Interface, Gestures, Card Metaphor and everything else would be webOS based.

To understand this better, go try Samsung Android phone or HTC Android phone. You will see that it has a special flavor with special functionality but it is still Android.

Although, I don't see any problems "from business prospective" of keeping even Enyo to be like the Widgets for Samsung as an extra-special feature for HP Windows 8. They can even port this UX to WP and make phones based on Windows Phone.

Again, I am just speculating and trying to guess what do they try to do. Given the recent news and announcements, this conclusion gives perfect sense.

By the way, who said people weren't attracted to webOS because of its UX? To me, limited Hardware and limited Application variety were main factors in people avoiding webOS. Although I liked the form factor and the specs "to me personally" were enough, people kept on needing bigger screens and higher screens resolution. A lot of the people I know didn't want to buy anything webOS because it lacked WhatsApp, which is essential to them as "everyone" is communicating using it. These are just two small examples and I am sure there are many more other than these ...
    Win 8 tiles are core of new windows UX and key point of finger friendly object manipulation. I don't believe that MS will allow anyone to mess with it.
    AppleInsider is reporting something that we all know already:

Future of webOS

Meanwhile, a source within HP has noted to AppleInsider that the company is rumored to finally make a definitive comment on the future of webOS either on November 28 or December 1, although, the source notes, "I don't think anyone expects anything good."

Source: AppleInsider | HP's Chairman using MacBook Air, may detail webOS plans next week
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Leaving aside all our fun discussing this stuff, it must be pretty demotivating for people who are working on software updates for a product line that is effectively in limbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Leaving aside all our fun discussing this stuff, it must be pretty demotivating for people who are working on software updates for a product line that is effectively in limbo.
    Agree. But they are still getting pay. Donīt they ? However nothing final is said yet. But the wait is killing everyone.
    Win 8 tiles are core of new windows UX and key point of finger friendly object manipulation. I don't believe that MS will allow anyone to mess with it.
    Win8 is the "old" Win7 with a new skin on it based on metro, and web technologies oriented. It's like starting the media center app by default. But the old pointer-friendly UI is behind the scenes, and the old wintel apps run in the same Win7 UI.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Agree. But they are still getting pay. Don´t they ? However nothing final is said yet. But the wait is killing everyone.
    Money isn't the only reason. Yesterday Chuq tweeted "Palm hires Chuq Von Rospach". To me, that's "if no Palm, no Chuq".

They've been reinventing the computing space since they started webOS. Time will tell, but anyone who knows about what webOS is, and where it was headed will tell you how ahead of it's time webOS was/is/will be for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Money isn't the only reason. Yesterday Chuq tweeted "Palm hires Chuq Von Rospach". To me, that's "if no Palm, no Chuq".

They've been reinventing the computing space since they started webOS. Time will tell, but anyone who knows about what webOS is, and where it was headed will tell you how ahead of it's time webOS was/is/will be for some time.

the exact same thing was said of the Amiga, and AmigaOS, and thats had a worse history/record than palm/webOS, in both areas i pray for regained popularity, i just cant see it ending well for webOS, they simply cant co-exist webOS and winblows8 together, their polar opposites doing their own thing.
    klx300r likes this.
    the exact same thing was said of the Amiga, and AmigaOS, and thats had a worse history/record than palm/webOS, in both areas i pray for regained popularity, i just cant see it ending well for webOS, they simply cant co-exist webOS and winblows8 together, their polar opposites doing their own thing.
    Sadly, probably you're right.

14.    #74  

chuq chuq von rospach
    @
    @ekdikeo donít read too much. I accidentally shared something I was doing to show a friend
    chuq chuq von rospach
    @
    @ekdikeo don’t read too much. I accidentally shared something I was doing to show a friend
    twice?

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post

+1, sing it again my fellow amigan :-)

btw, AmigaOS is not even close to dead ! Welcome to AmigaOS | AmigaOS
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Technically, the tiles can co-exist with the webOS UX. I am thinking of the same thing HTC did with their HTC UX over WinMob 6.5. Imagine it this way: You run the device and you encounter the tiles, then you do a swipe up and you see the running programs. You could have done a swipe down and you can see the application list.

Think out of the box !

Of course, we don't want to reach the point where that is reality. I would prefer that webOS get sacked over being butchered and its guts being used over Windows 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by klx300r View Post

i meant past tense, also the new amiga one x1000's are also out (mostly in france first i think) ¨ ¨

AmigaOne X1000 First Contact < im poisted waiting...

more expensive / better system around as well as custom jobbies, kinda sad when my fave amigas (been in limbo for er more than quite a while) now have new hardware and my 2nd fave webOS is sat here waiting for er anything.
  19.    #79  
    fun post on what HP knows about webOS printers that we don't...

What Does HP Know About webOS Printers That We Don't?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Sadly, probably you're right.
    And tragically, the "Amiga faithful/True Believers" still believe that things could turn around. A decade from now, thus it will be with WebOS.

Quote Originally Posted by klx300r View Post

Oh golly. I should've scrolled down to find an example!
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast