Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    This form factor (7-10" tablet) is bearly touched for its total potential. Price is key, but it must have content. With a good plan there is a lot of money to be made. Also huge market w/ business people including retail that is still untapped.
    I think MS will dominate this category. The Next HTC phones are going to have 2.5Ghz quad core processors for phones. This will be enough to run Windows 8 on Tablets. This way the experience you get on your desktop can easily be translated to tablets. They'll have apps and software that work both on your computer and tablet. I love Android for my phone, prefer WebOS on my tablet(besides the horrible selection of apps), but I see MS coming in and killing it with Windows 8. MS with full Office on a tablet with tons of apps will be hard for HP to stay with WebOS, especially since the app quality and numbers continue to be dismal.

I really think that Android will remain dominant for phones and IOS will always have a following, no matter the product, but I see MS taking the lead in tablets within the next 2 years. WebOS, for as good as it is now, will not have the ability to contend with a full fledged OS on a tablet with tons of apps.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    by Dec I will know if I will defect to Samsung Galaxy tab but WEBOS will be with
    me Always. I am hopping that will not come true.

Long live WEBOS I hope
    Bob
  3.    #23  
    Venturebeat last night reports bidding is still happening--names intel and suggests intel could integrate with its current software, does not name facebook. Also says hp wants printer rights. There is an app in the store from hp, might be new, which helps identify printer partners--ink suppliers? I'm not sure.
    jobs thought facebook was one of the true innovators but they are not a hardware
    co. I suppose intel needs to remain relevant in mobile.

If meg is saying she will know by early dec then a deal has already been struck and they are ironing out details...

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/21/hp...comm-printers/

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...rain-salt.html
    Last edited by bluenote; 11/22/2011 at 06:40 AM.
    WebOS failure was due to HP's handling of it and not the OS itself. Is Whitman a visionary that belongs in the same camp as Steve Jobs? I fear not. I hope I am wrong but I don't see good things for WebOS future.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  5.    #25  
    Whole thing is irritating me now, the way the press is incorrectly attributing 3 bil of losses to webos and ignoring the autonomy and other costs, rather than more correctly saying 900 mil loss in addition to purchase price. Stoked by the hp conf call and the footnotes which identify webos for some of the loss and do not identify by name the "other" losses. Yeah hp had to make its case to shareholders, maybe kendrick has a point.
    Vistaus likes this.
    <thread moved>
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Venturebeat last night reports bidding is still happening--names intel and suggests intel could integrate with its current software, does not name facebook. Also says hp wants printer rights. There is an app in the store from hp, might be new, which helps identify printer partners--ink suppliers? I'm not sure.
    jobs thought facebook was one of the true innovators but they are not a hardware
    co. I suppose intel needs to remain relevant in mobile.

If meg is saying she will know by early dec then a deal has already been struck and they are ironing out details...

As Palm bidding continues, HP wants a sweet deal to keep webOS in printers (exclusive) | VentureBeat

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...rain-salt.html

From their previous statements that it makes no sense for them to buy WebOS, that must be a patent grab and WebOS is thrown in like how they throw in a set of floormats when you buy a new car.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Whole thing is irritating me now, the way the press is incorrectly attributing 3 bil of losses to webos and ignoring the autonomy and other costs, rather than more correctly saying 900 mil loss in addition to purchase price. Stoked by the hp conf call and the footnotes which identify webos for some of the loss and do not identify by name the "other" losses. Yeah hp had to make its case to shareholders, maybe kendrick has a point.

Yeah, looking at it (and the earning call transcript) the actual line items specifically attributed to WebOS/Palm are @$1.5 billion rather than the 3 billion mentioned in some articles. There might be other expenses in there but they are not clear.
  9.    #29  
    This CRN article is suggesting some kind of "printpad" to aggregate data and print it and images, I suppose HP printing biz is large and/or someone at someone point is going to need to print all that unstructured data that Autonomy is gathering.

http://www.crn.com/blogs-op-ed/the-c...save-webos.htm
    will I be able to run angry birds on my printer?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    Or watch cats playing a piano? If not, a deal killer for me
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    bluenote likes this.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Greece Is also financily down the hole. MTA in NY is even way more down the hole financily. Still, they go on. They get investors to keep them up. Why? 'Cause noone wants to see them go down. 'Cause they are important for those who make use of it. Let's say you replace the words Greece and MTA with webOS. There you have it.
    LOL - that's satire right? Otherwise, I'm, not sure where to start with that?

There is a slightly* difference between the social-political-economic and structural issues of Greece and the failure of one product within a growing market.

* might be slightly larger than slight.
    SnotBoogie and Vistaus like this.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    Boss: What the hell has happened to productivity in this place and why are most of the staff spending half the day in the printer room? I thought those new WebOS printers were suppose to be fast?
    I don't get it ... They are always saying that they are trying to make a decision about webOS. However, as of couple months ago, HP has divided webOS into two parts: Hardware and Software. Hardware was dumped and murdered in an ally long time ago. Are they talking about ONLY the software part now?

Or should we expect some hardware news to come swiftly with the aforementioned decision?
    Financial Times: webOS decision by the end of the month

Who is right Bloomberg or the Financial Times?
    Bloomberg said early December and now the Financial Times says by the end of the month:

She said the new year “will be a reset and rebuilding year”, and that HP would announce the fate of webOS by the end of the month. She added that she thought tablets based on Microsoft’s Windows 8 showed promise.

The end of the month:
    Nov 28,29 and 30

Early Dec:
    Dec 1 and 2

Full article:

Whitman sets low bar for HP’s earnings

Hewlett-Packard’s new chief executive Meg Whitman has set a low bar for the technology group’s prospects next year after sharply cutting earnings forecasts, citing restructuring efforts and the global economy.

Ms Whitman acknowledged the recent “dramas” HP had faced, and told the Financial Times that she hoped to leave them behind as the group tackled “some pretty significant macroeconomic headwinds in all three regions, especially in Europe”. She pointed to uncertainty around the euro and the inability of the US Congress to come up with a deficit-reduction plan as factors that would continue to weigh on corporate spending.

The top PC maker by revenues said on Monday that it beat estimates for sales and profit before charges in the fourth quarter but slashed earnings guidance for the year beginning to “at least” $4 per share before charges, compared with analyst estimates of about $4.56.

In the three months to October, HP reported an 89 per cent drop in net income to $239m, or 12 cents a share, after charges mainly to discontinue smartphones and a tablet based on the webOS operating system. Revenue slipped to $32.1bn from $33.3bn.

Ms Whitman, a HP director since January, took over as chief executive in September after the board dismissed Léo Apotheker. Mr Apotheker had missed the company’s own earnings projections for three quarters, and Ms Whitman had been expected to provide lower targets.

She said the new year “will be a reset and rebuilding year”, and that HP would announce the fate of webOS by the end of the month. She added that she thought tablets based on Microsoft’s Windows 8 showed promise.

Ms Whitman said the company was increasing research and development spending overall, investing more in its services arm and looking to replace some PC distribution deals it lost in China after Mr Apotheker said HP might spin off that division.

Ms Whitman said there would be no acquisitions in the next year on the scale of the just-completed $10.6bn purchase of Autonomy, the UK software concern, and that the company would continue with its dividends and a modest share buy-back programme.

On a conference call with investors and analysts, she said that the largest acquisition she could imagine HP making in the coming year would be about $1bn.

Source: Whitman sets low bar for HP&rsquo;s earnings - FT.com
  16.    #36  
    Horrible thought:

What if the venturebeat story is true and HP is negotiating so hard for rights to webOS on printers because the buyer only wants the patents and will otherwise kill webOS. And that is why Whitman told the webOS group they will still have jobs (they will be used in the printer division as the buyer will not want them).

Getting my webOS survival kit ready...
    Didn't Venturebeat also recently report that Amazon was this close to buying webOS? Seems like they just insert a new company into the same story and fish for hits.
    cgk likes this.
    this "in the coming months" crap is a joke anymore. just tell us what the heck your going to do.

anyways, i hope you all have a good holiday.
    C-Note likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    The company will make a decision about what to do with the WebOS software by early December

Hewlett-Packard Forecast Misses Analysts
    look forward to your report about her decision regarding webOS in December 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Didn't Venturebeat also recently report that Amazon was this close to buying webOS? Seems like they just insert a new company into the same story and fish for hits.
    bets on HP are just asking for unreasonable demands, like this joke about selling webOS but er still keeping it still for their printers, as if webOS's potential is somehow untapped only in a line of devices that only............ print.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast