Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    When iPhone was introduced in 2007, folks just bought it. Why ? there is nothing like it before (hardware and software integration). Palm did somewhat similar, but its a total failure in terms of "completeness". The hardware was horrible. They should have released a phone similar to Pre 3 back in 2009. Again, people buy the gadget FWIW. Apps come later.

I am itching to buy Samsung Note. Why ? not apps , not the OS, just the hardware is good enough to tempt me for shelling few hundred dollars.

Like someone said before, you build it, they will come. Same case for iPad and other tablets. The gadget comes first. Once the sales take off developers follow.
    You cannot compare Samsung Note as the ecosystem for Android has been established. The best thing I can think of if you took the Galaxy S II and slabbed a Bada OS on it. Do you think people will buy that more or the Android Galaxy S?

Of course it would be Galaxy S, although Bada is successful and slowly grabbing market share it still cannot compete with Android.

What I am trying to say is that, we don't live in an era where people relay on basic functionality of the phone. People need "to some extent" other functionality which the vendor cannot provide.

Look at WP, Microsoft is paying people money so they develop for the OS and that is why more devices are being built for it. I have participated with others in Microsoft' events and competitions where they gave us for free everything just to develop applications for WP.

Now, look back at HP ... They didn't even support wider range of languages to start off with. Their whole activation, which was taken from Palm, is a joke. I cannot buy any application if I wanted because I am in a not-an-official-release country.

I am not saying that the Hardware doesn't play a role. Not at all, to be honest, I could point endless number of mistakes that Palm and HP have made in the Hardware division. But, they also made fatal mistakes in managing the ecosystem they opt to build.

My point is: If they want to get back into the game. They should relaunch a good hardware, start serious developer programs, listen to their costumers and start getting the damn apps by having direct relations with the developers. I guess Meg knows that already as she already mentioned a long term commitment if they ever wanted to continue this.

Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    This is kinda misleading. iPhone was not the first full-screen touch-optimized mobile device, there were all sorts of earlier ones, including the Handspring Visor with the GSM Springboard, and I think a bunch of WinCE devices also had full-screen. These predated the iPhone by 5 or more years.

And they had centralized app stores: PalmGear, etc. offered 20,000 apps or more for PalmOS, and I think even more for WinCE.

The iPhone didn't even open their app store for the first year of the iPhone's life. Up until then, it was just a beautiful ipod with a phone and some builtin apps that duplicated some of what other feature phones already had.

I do agree very strongly with the market/media/store idea. Honestly, if Apple hadn't bought iTunes and then got agreement from the labels, it would have just been another mp3 player, and not even the best.

Apple has the music labels, and much of the publishing/magazine industry, and now an app ecosystem. Amazon has books/magazines, a huge online store, and an app store with a fairly large ecosystem. RIM owns corporate, but is quickly losing that market to Apple. Microsoft has Windows and XBox?

I guess HP's unique advantages were its printers, the fact that it is the #1 PC vendor (until sometime next year...), and a big corporate presence. I think putting webos on pc's could have helped. The corporate presence could have helped if HP had actually made a business device - doc editing, rdp, citrix, security, video out, etc. Some of those solutions are now trickling in, about 6 months after they should have. Sigh.
    I know that. I used to own HTC and imate with WindowsMobile. However, iPhone was the first to be touch-optimized. WindowsMobile was unusable and unfriendly, to be honest. You had to use stylus ... That was horrible.

PalmOS was good at its time, but lack of innovation killed it. I still lust for it. Too bad that it had to go. I can see webOS heading the same way, though.

Amazon Fire is really appealing. The device that combine everything from books all the way to TV shows. Amazon is really nailing it. And oh boy with that price tag ... Hmmmm.
    Last edited by CvvB; 12/06/2011 at 03:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    At one point there were some browsers that downloaded .prc files as text.
    Man, I forgot that.
    I remember emails regarding hot sync id and transferring regs to another device.
  3.    #283  
    The Stanford University Radiology Dept has chosen webOS (TouchPad and Pixi) to develop apps for to diagnose and treat on the spot inside the MRI room. Looks like they've developed brain-scanning and respiratory monitoring already and have plans for more apps. They like the TouchPad and Pixi because of the plastic which means safe to bring into the MRI room; more importantly they like webOS because of ease of use, multi-tasking, backwards compatibility.
    HP worked with them officially. This article is the best hint yet that HP is not abandoning webOS; otherwise they would have steered Stanford to something else.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-how-cool.html
    gbp and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    The Stanford University Radiology Dept has chosen webOS (TouchPad and Pixi) to develop apps for to diagnose and treat on the spot inside the MRI room. Looks like they've developed brain-scanning and respiratory monitoring already and have plans for more apps. They like the TouchPad and Pixi because of the plastic which means safe to bring into the MRI room; more importantly they like webOS because of ease of use, multi-tasking, backwards compatibility.
    HP worked with them officially. This article is the best hint yet that HP is not abandoning webOS; otherwise they would have steered Stanford to something else.

Maybe this is part of the "innovative solutions" Meg was talking about. Finding some key partners to help fund and help with the development. Stanford could definitely help here.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    it shouldn't be about apps all the time.
    Sorry, it is about apps. The App experience on IOS trumps your typical experience using a web browser. Why? The app is specifically targeted for touch. Functionality is added that is not typically available in a web equivalent. This is not for everything, but for allot of things.
    iif a site has a good mobile website, you can easily create a launcher page in webos, change the icon using adam mark's tips from way back on precentral, and boom- all done. There are some of your "essential" apps.
    I have citibank mobile, american express, wells fargo, tdbank, ing direct, cnn, target, home depot, macys, best buy, walmart, staples, office depot, amazon, geico, epocrates, newsday (long island newspaper), paypal, and yahoo links with nice icons on my launcher pages.
    guess what- they work. Some of them may not be pretty, some of them may be ugly, some are better than their equivalent mobile
    apps on other platforms...but they work as effectively as apps.
    Yes, this is the mantra of all non app people. It's wrong, but it does not stop it from being repeated incessantly. This is why webos is in the dustbin.
    Tell me, can you make a deposit by taking a picture of a check with your website? And don't say you never have a need to do that, cause that's not relevant.
    hp should have helped other devs, especially game devs and other pdk apps (see picsel smartoffice as an example) to continue to port their iphone apps over to webos.
    What makes you think they didn't help, the lack of apps? Maybe there was a lack of interest.
    so one argues webos doesn't have apps. But whose to say the apps can't come? If you build it, they will come. If you build mindshare, they will come- imagine for a second that hp formed a deal with groupon, or yelp, or major retailers for exclusive offers, like show a coupon only found on a webos device, and get x % off some product. Or if they spent money on advertising to a mass consumer market like the droid commercials back in 2009, or as part of previews at blockbuster movies.
    This was said in late 2009. It's almost 2012. 12/20/2012 at 11:59 PM it won't make a difference LOL
    snip...point is, if hp wanted to carve into the market, they could. No ones over taking apple or android, but at some point people want something different.
    Don't agree. Apple's release cycle might turn into a stumbling block.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    No, I'm afraid not. Take Palm out of the picture and then look at your argument. Why is Amazon coming out with the Kindle fire now? They will not sell as many as the iPad does. And if they bail out after 60 days they will be a massive failure. But they won't and they will (probably) make any adjustments needed to be successful.
    You're living in the past. I never had Palm in the picture. They don't exist. I had HP in the picture. Concerning Amazon, didn;t they already have an app store in place before the Fire? The whole thought process above has nothing to do with what I said. Amazon is in the race.
    The reason why HP messed up was because they did treat it like a race despite their comments to the contrary. When the iPad2 came out they should have stopped and re-tooled (like Samsung). But you can bet the rent money some exec was too afraid to bite the bullet, arguing that they would fall too far behind (how did that work out for them?)...snip
    No they didn't treat it like a race. The treated it like a marathon where only blind people are running. They took forever to come out with something. They closed their eyes to the market and came out with the Veer. They saw Samsung retool. That was the clue they should have brought.
    That fear may have been justified because they knew they were on a short leash - "we need to show a profit in the first 30 days or else".
    No comment. Don't know what they thought about time frames.
    The Samsung Galaxy Tab? Why Android when Blackberry and Apple dominated the market?
    ? What exactly did Blackberry dominate when the Galaxy Tab came out? Secondly, didn't Google already have a good market when the Tab was released? What ecosystem did/does RIM have?
    And the early Droids are pretty crappy.
    Yep very true, as is allot of the latter Droids are still crappy. LOL
    The issue is EXECUTION, not potential. And I do agree with you, Leo was a joke. A good CEO adapts and adjusts, and takes advantage of market conditions. They don't dictate anything - I don't think even he was that clueless. He was hoping for easy money and it isn't there. He makes the case for me, he was never interested in doing (executing) what it would take to be successful in the mobile space. ...snip
    Leo wasn't the only person culpable. I don't know what the designers of the Veer and Touchpad got in compensation, but they should of got life.
    ..snip Here is the acid test... some company, possibly a 'young upstart' is going to make a dent in the mobile space in the coming years. and everyone (especially HP) will be saying "Why didn't we do that?" ... and the answer will be, because you were not really willing to try over the long term.
    Or they lack vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    snip...I am itching to buy Samsung Note. Why ? not apps , not the OS, just the hardware is good enough to tempt me for shelling few hundred dollars.
    Me too! Did you see it went through the FCC!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

Using webos to help in treatment of live patients? Oy vey.

Plaintive: "The doc said I had TMC." Judge: "What;s TMC?"

Future New York Times headline: Stanford University sued over Webos & Tocuhpad, plaintive says "Touchpad was not patched".
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/07/2011 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Yes, this is the mantra of all non app people. It's wrong, but it does not stop it from being repeated incessantly. This is why webos is in the dustbin.
    Tell me, can you make a deposit by taking a picture of a check with your website? And don't say you never have a need to do that, cause that's not relevant.
    First, just because someone disagrees with YOU does not make them wrong. Second, my bank doesn't support photo deposit regardless of platform or device, yet they are a top bank and never needed a bailout. Not to mention all of my checks are direct deposit anyway.
    Patches from Maverickz:

Vistaus likes this.
    dear sinsin,

not everyone drives a mercedes.
    not everyone wants to drive a honda.

some people like to think different. Webos is that- different. Its a saab or volkswagon.
    there are plenty of people to carve out a market- its why microsoft is still pushing windows phone, its why blackberry is still fighting for relevance, its why samsung created bada. There is plenty of room for webos, if one has a vision and sees more than just black/white or apple/android.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Using webos to help in treatment of live patients? Oy vey.

Plaintive: "The doc said I had TMC." Judge: "What;s TMC?"

Future New York Times headline: Stanford University sued over Webos & Tocuhpad, plaintive says "Touchpad was not patched".
    Yeah I hope I am not a patient when they keys stop working like they do on my TP.
    Patches from Maverickz:

sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Yeah I hope I am not a patient when they keys stop working like they do on my TP.
    A little harsh there, the Touchpad and medical applications are an ideal mix.

Think of all the practice the webOS Doctor has had.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    A little harsh there, the Touchpad and medical applications are an ideal mix.

Think of all the practice the webOS Doctor has had.
    I would agree if not for my kb problems. Having my B, Y, 8, Backspace, and Space randomly stop working for 15-20 seconds would be an issue if I were a Dr trying to save someone's life.
    Patches from Maverickz:

sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I would agree if not for my kb problems. Having my B, Y, 8, Backspace, and Space randomly stop working for 15-20 seconds would be an issue if I were a Dr trying to save someone's life.
    You have a point. Given some doctor's handwriting maybe it isn't such an issue?

There is always the ever-looming threat of a OS upgrade being forced upon you in the middle of surgery too.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    sinsin07 likes this.
    they screwed up the touch responsiveness of the keyboard in 3.0 .4.... I hope they fix that in 3.0 .5..... n touchpad runs great in cm 7 and the touch screen is very responsive... and the virtual keybrd buttons work great....keyboard reponsiveness was great in 3.0.2
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    in 2002, Triumph (UK) came out with the TT600 motorcycle. They researched the market and decided that the competition was the Honda CBR600. Unfortunately they based it on the 1998 CBR. By the time the TT600 came out, the world had moved on. The TT600 was a dog and looked slow and horrible. It didn't sell at all well.

But Triumph did NOT give up. They redesigned and persevered and now have the 675 which is one of the world leaders in its class.

Is there a lesson to be learned here?

Alan
    HP definitely has the ability to do that with webOS. In fact taking new products and becoming #1 in the marketplace is the HP way. Leo just didn't share that vision or philosophy. That's why he was sent packing. Now the question is will Meg decide that the potential reward is worth the risk or not?
    Patches from Maverickz:

Vistaus likes this.
    What does Meg have to loose my keeping WebOS? She is already very well off so money couldn't be the issue. She might have a Steve Jobs complex and want the legacy of bringing WebOS from the basement to a popular OS. She has a very large corp at her finger tips which is a plus for us WebOS fans.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    in 2002, Triumph (UK) came out with the TT600 motorcycle. They researched the market and decided that the competition was the Honda CBR600. Unfortunately they based it on the 1998 CBR. By the time the TT600 came out, the world had moved on. The TT600 was a dog and looked slow and horrible. It didn't sell at all well.

But Triumph did NOT give up. They redesigned and persevered and now have the 675 which is one of the world leaders in its class.

Alan
    Buy a Triumph over a touchpad?
    If it is early December as they claim, then today should be THE day ...
    Buy a Triumph over a touchpad?
    No... Buy a Triumph AND a Touchpad!!

Sleep with this!! Yeaahhh!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)