Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    for cellphones
    it is the best cellphone OS out there
    HP has to stay in the cellphone business if they are going to play to their strength
    Whitman & the Board have to know this
    Agree with the others, it's all relative. I prefer WebOS(once patched and tweeked) over Android on a tablet but on a phone is a whole different story. I couldn't live without widgets on a phone and much prefer Android, as did the market.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    for cellphones
    it is the best cellphone OS out there
    HP has to stay in the cellphone business if they are going to play to their strength
    Whitman & the Board have to know this
    In theory. But in practice, webOS failed to deliver fast and reliable performance of IPhone and top Android models. webOS fails behind WP7 performance also, but at least is more mature than WP7.
    Biggest problem with webOS is that we haven't seen top model device with top performance from 2009 till today, and we probably wont. Every single webOS device launched from 2009 till 2011 had some excuse attached to it from day one till EOL and no software update or patch ever made it fast and reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    The best is relative. The market decides what is best. The best OSes are the ones that are selling.
    Products that do meat certain criteria usually fall to the wayside.

Think Betamax, OS2, Sega Dreamcast, etc.
    Trust me, your wrong. People bought Android because it was cheap, not because it looked good or worked well. Last year was my senior year in highschool and every AVERAGE kid talked about how their "Android" had the worst batter life, froze all the time, and by the time their parents bought them "the iPhone", it had fallen apart.

Android is cheap in every sense, and they even complain about the "high quality" Android phones.

The iPhone sells because it's the iPhone... It works very well and iOS isn't very nice but the hardware is high quality and it has Apple's logo on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Trust me, your wrong. People bought Android because it was cheap, not because it looked good or worked well. Last year was my senior year in highschool and every AVERAGE kid talked about how their "Android" had the worst batter life, froze all the time, and by the time their parents bought them "the iPhone", it had fallen apart.

Android is cheap in every sense, and they even complain about the "high quality" Android phones.

The iPhone sells because it's the iPhone... It works very well and iOS isn't very nice but the hardware is high quality and it has Apple's logo on it.
    The Motorola Droid makes your whole argument invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I loved the question, basically because I knew you was going to fing it "irrelevant" because is not the answer you expected.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Still not relevant to what the OP said and his response to the question. The key here you seem to keep missing is:
    "...webOS is fairly straight forward and doesn't require spending a lot of time trying to fix something that should never have been broken.", followed by the same OP, "I do have the uberkernel installed on my Touchpad and a few patches. They improve the experience"

If your device is working for you fine with no additional patches or kernels, it still has nothing to do with the OPs comments.

I agree with some of you synopsis, however the cheap factor only goes so far in as there are plenty of adults that can afford another OS/phone and choose Android. Android brings other things to the table iOS/iPhone does not.

Checkout milominderbinder's Android post for reference:
    37 Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    The Motorola Droid makes your whole argument invalid.
    Wait Motorola Droids aren't buggy and don't have terrible battery life? not the ones I've used.
    The only thing that has been proven is that content is king.. LOL andriod's even iphones would move slower than pre's if they didn't have the content and in apple's case the built in user bases (ipod). Now on to Andriod, it got to where it is at right now for ONE simple reason apple was foolish and limited their phones to AT&T (or at&t was smart to get the lock) way too long. This left the largest provider with the best network with only one option that was mass produced and had a large app market, the andriod lines (also helped to have so many co's building and innovating). You could (prior to verizon) have a slick iphone w/ crappy service, or a driod that works most everywhere... Also the other networks were unable to have ipohone's so they had to push driod as well. If palm had the app market and contnet it would have done WAY better.. had the hardware been top pick as well it could have been verizon's #1 phone.. but it didn't and it wasn't always a day late and a dollar short. I've used all three, webos and synergy with it's card metephore is vastly superior on both phones and tablets.. but it doesn't have the app market to compete or the best hardware. Obviously it needs continued work, but I find my pre2 as stable and predictable as the iphone or any andriod (better than many andriods to be honest). The tp needed another year of steady updates and work to really dial in like the ipad.. it had a huge head start and the ipad in it's early days was no better if not worse than the touchpad.. but it didn't matter because it had such a huge head start.

my2c
    Last edited by stumblinh; 12/04/2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nolram View Post
    Wait Motorola Droids aren't buggy and don't have terrible battery life? not the ones I've used.
    The Droid was not Cheap. It was $199. It looked good and worked well. The Droids battery life was good, and rarely froze. Android on the Droid was optimized for it's hardware and ran Vanilla Android.

Handsets differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. But I can assure you Android is not the problem. Blame the manufacturers.
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    The only thing that has been proven is that content is king.. LOL andriod's even iphones would move slower than pre's if they didn't have the content and in apple's case the built in user bases (ipod). Now on to Andriod, it got to where it is at right now for ONE simple reason apple was ******** and limited their phones to AT&T (or at&t was smart to get the lock). This left the largest provider with the best network with only one phone type that was mass produced and had a large app market the andriod lines (thanks to so many co's building and innovating). Also the other networks also unable to have ipohone's had to push driod as well. If palm had the app market and contnet it would have done WAY better.. had the hardware been top pick as well it could have been verizon's #1 phone.. but it didn't and it wasn't always a day late and a dollar short. I've used all three, webos and synergy is superior on both phones and tablets.. but it doesn't have the app market to compete. Obviously it needs continued work, but I find my pre2 as stable and predictable as the iphone or any andriod (better than many andriods to be honest). The tp needed another year of steady updates and work to really dial in like the ipad.. it had a huge head start and the ipad in it's early days was no better if not worse than the touchpad.. but it didn't matter because it had such a huge head start.

my2c
    It's believes like this that keep people poor.
    It's believes like this that keep people poor.
    That comment makes no sense? Did you quote the wrong post?
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    That comment makes no sense? Did you quote the wrong post?
    Yes
    Here's to hoping they continue to 1)support our system 2) either make or make it possible for other to create hardware 3) expand our user base by advertising/showcasing the system.

Xmas time is here and I which I could get my kids and wife webos tablets. We all share one (as much as we can), even my 3 year can navigate his way from app to app with no help.
    Trust me, your wrong. People bought Android because it was cheap, not because it looked good or worked well.
    The best selling Android phones are not the cheap models. However, I think a lot of people buy Android phones because they don't want an iPhone. Which is fine with me, the more the merrier, I don't care how they get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    In theory. But in practice, webOS failed to deliver fast and reliable performance of IPhone and top Android models. webOS fails behind WP7 performance also, but at least is more mature than WP7.
    Biggest problem with webOS is that we haven't seen top model device with top performance from 2009 till today, and we probably wont. Every single webOS device launched from 2009 till 2011 had some excuse attached to it from day one till EOL and no software update or patch ever made it fast and reliable.
    I would disagree. Combined with uberkernel oc at 1ghz and a few other tweaks my sprint Pre is very fast, and very stable too. However I believe what palm/hp could have done is work with the devs of those patches and tweaks and such to include them naitively in webos. 90% of work was already done for them by the devs. why was that so hard to do!? I just don't understand it. Those patches gave so much functionality to webos, exactly what many didn't like about it, that it felt half baked.
    The best is relative. The market decides what is best. The best OSes are the ones that are selling.
    Products that do meat certain criteria usually fall to the wayside.

Think Betamax, OS2, Sega Dreamcast, etc.
    The market decides what is the best Ecosystem not the best OS.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    The market decides what is the best Ecosystem not the best OS.
    Yup, and there is the problem, webOS could be miraculously polished and re-released today as the most bug-free, efficient and well-maintained OS out there and it would still get a kicking due to the sheer size of the established competition.

In the end most people buy stuff to do stuff, not to marvel at how it does it.

Ask the average iThing user about the disadvantages of a closed system and how much better XXXX does it and they don't care.

It's only on boards like this that these things are debated and we make up a fraction of the userbase of any OS.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Midway99 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    I would disagree. Combined with uberkernel oc at 1ghz and a few other tweaks my sprint Pre is very fast, and very stable too. However I believe what palm/hp could have done is work with the devs of those patches and tweaks and such to include them naitively in webos. 90% of work was already done for them by the devs. why was that so hard to do!? I just don't understand it. Those patches gave so much functionality to webos, exactly what many didn't like about it, that it felt half baked.
    Patches and OC kernels can't make webOS smooth or fast. It could run faster and smoother than out-of-the box, but compared to other OS's it is slowest even after patching.
    I can still see posts how new webOS devices also have to be restarted to obtains stability! I havent restarted my Ipad2 in months. I haven't restarted my Android phone in weeks.
    brendu and sinsin07 like this.
    I will never understand why the cheerleaders for other platforms find the need to post in these forms. If WebOS sucks so much, why waste the time in your day reading and then posting? I would never have the time (I might be a slower reader) to brows the threads on the other platforms' boards. To each his own I guess.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Rnp, jjacobs, Vistaus and 1 others like this.
    I will never understand why the cheerleaders for other platforms find the need to post in these forms.
    Well, they are what we call here; in Brazil, as "repressed" or "resentful"...

His own communities are not so good; so, they come bring his destructive vision here, when could use all his knowledge to help "other-his-OS-users"...

I has told in other times: try to open a webOS Thread or speak about in others forums, and you gonna see how they are...

But is that... the price of sucess, part of the price to be the BEST community!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Vistaus likes this.