Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 304
Like Tree89Likes
  1. #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Right, as other people have pointed out her idea of innovation might have nothing to do with consumer electronics. The other big issue in the tablet space is the amazon fire - android OEMs are expecting a glut of products because of the success of this item - with the fire on one side and the ipad on the other, the market is even more hostile than it was the first time around (phones are not a realistic prospect).

    That leaves the WebOS toaster...

    Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    Funny LOL

    I am looking for innovations in coffee machines, blenders, digital picture frames, cable boxes, home and car alarm systems etc. Webos can do nicely in that area.
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Reality Check 1 Check 2. The iPad is already getting big in Corporate America. This is what contenders need to be on par with or overcome:

    Deploying iPhone and iPad Exchange ActiveSync

    Deploying iPhone and iPad Virtual Private Networks

    Deploying iPhone and iPad Virtual Private Networks

    iOS: Setting up VPN

    Supported VPN protocols

    Citrix Receiver App for iPad Now Available on App Store (2010)

    RSA for iOS

    Microsoft OneNote for iOS now available, lets you create and edit notes on the go

    Office:
    Goodreader
    Readledocs
    Quick Office
    and a myriad of others, not to mention Microsoft Office Coming To iPad Next Year, Says Report

    Centrally manage devices (Not available for Webos):
    Boxtone
    Airwatch
    Good

    Admittedly, the Touchpad had some very nice ideas, it would be nice to see them out in the wild, but it was never more than a squirrel trying to get a nut.
    Not sure you follow. The Touchpad does microsoft exchange and citrix and ....

    And if you say that editing Microsoft Office documents on a tablet is fun , more power to you.

    Corporates need email and more email followed by browser. Any tablet can do that provided they have VPN support.
  3. #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Not sure you follow. The Touchpad does microsoft exchange and citrix and ....

    And if you say that editing Microsoft Office documents on a tablet is fun , more power to you.

    Corporates need email and more email followed by browser. Any tablet can do that provided they have VPN support.
    Thanks for the update. However Corporations are doing more and want to more than just mail and web browsing. Look at Airlines, Banking and the Medical field for examples.

    I remember the early '90s when only executives had 5 pound, inch and half thick, 6 inch screen laptops and they carried them back and forth to work faithfully. Now it's to much effort to carry a small HP/Lenovo/Dell laptop at a pound and some change. Now they "have" to have a tablet

    A tablet for a Corporation needs to be versatile. Even with the walled garden of Apple, they are finding what they need in iPads. The lack of no video out is also a hindrance to any tablet looking to gain a foothold. People don't want to carry paper to do presentations now. They want their presentation on a tablet.

    Some companies are looking to go paperless and it looks like they are choosing the iPad as their tablet of choice. Apps and device functionality matter and no amount of Flash, web browsing and VPN is going to negate that.

    On another note, is there any instructions around here on how to get Citrix up and running? Last I read on here it and the Citirx website it wasn't working.

    This what I see on the Citrix website: Citrix plans for HP Webos Devices - Sept 2011

    Thanks
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/03/2011 at 05:17 PM.
  4. #204  
    Citrix support is half-baked, not to mention the lack of a Salesforce app. Android and iOS have both of those things. Hell, the bank I work for is piloting the use of iPads in branches. There's just no room for the Touchpad (or Playbook for that matter) in the consumer or corporate market.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  5. #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Citrix support is half-baked, not to mention the lack of a Salesforce app. Android and iOS have both of those things. Hell, the bank I work for is piloting the use of iPads in branches. There's just no room for the Touchpad (or Playbook for that matter) in the consumer or corporate market.

    Thanks.

    Gbp is alluding to the fact that Citrix is working on the Touchpad. I would like to know if this is true as I have some users who mistakenly brought firesale Touchpads thinking Citrix was available. I would like to help them out if possible.
  6. #206  
    Citrix HAD an app in the catalog when I first got here, but they have withdrawn it, and deny that it ever existed now.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  7. #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Citrix HAD an app in the catalog when I first got here, but they have withdrawn it, and deny that it ever existed now.
    Thanks
  8. #208  
    for cellphones
    it is the best cellphone OS out there
    HP has to stay in the cellphone business if they are going to play to their strength
    Whitman & the Board have to know this
  9. #209  
    oh pleaze.. HP is not in the handphone biz. let's not forget the ipaq from compaq. killed in action.

    they only want to have the extension of patents from webOS (together with microsoft share of novetel patent) to double protect their ***.
  10. #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    for cellphones
    it is the best cellphone OS out there...snip
    The best is relative. The market decides what is best. The best OSes are the ones that are selling.
    Products that do meat certain criteria usually fall to the wayside.

    Think Betamax, OS2, Sega Dreamcast, etc.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/04/2011 at 01:20 AM.
    Midway99 likes this.
  11. #211  
    The best is relative. The market decides what is best. The best OSes are the ones that are selling.
    Products that do meat certain criteria usually fall to the wayside.

    Think Betamax, OS2, Sega Dreamcast, etc.
    Oh, yeah.

    Beta vs. VHS -> price
    OS2 vs. Windows -> marketshare
    Blue Ray vs. HD DVD -> name

    There is always a strong reason behind.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

  12. #212  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Oh, yeah.

    Beta vs. VHS -> price
    OS2 vs. Windows -> marketshare
    Blue Ray vs. HD DVD -> name

    There is always a strong reason behind.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    '

    Yes, there is always a reason, does not invalidate the fact that the market chooses, whether its cost, functionality etc. Webos has some nice ideas that would of be great if were to ever succeed, but certain issues with webos were never resolved to user satisfaction, thus the patching and kernels continue to be used by those in the know.

    Beta vs VHS : Beta tapes were initializing only capable of ah hour of recording.
    OS2 vs. Windows - cost of change over
    Blue Ray vs. HD DVD: cost. The PS3 was cheaper cheapest Blueray player money could buy.
  13. #213  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    My Touchpad is vanilla, and works flawlessly
    Not relevant to the OP's comment and subsequent answer to the question.

    The poster stated: webOS is fairly straight forward and doesn't require spending a lot of time trying to fix something that should never have been broken.

    Part of the point of patching to address shortcomings.

    See: Official Patch Discussion
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/04/2011 at 08:39 AM.
  14. #214  
    '

    Yes, there is always a reason, does not invalidate the fact that the market chooses, whether its cost, functionality etc. Webos has some nice ideas that would of be great if were to ever succeed, but certain issues with webos were never resolved to user satisfaction, thus the patching and kernels continue to be used by those in the know.

    Beta vs VHS : Beta tapes were initializing only capable of ah hour of recording.
    OS2 vs. Windows - cost of change over
    Blue Ray vs. HD DVD: cost. The PS3 was cheaper cheapest Blueray player money could buy.
    Are you joking, I assume.



    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

  15. #215  
    Not relevant. The poster stated: webOS is fairly straight forward and doesn't require spending a lot of time trying to fix something that should never have been broken.

    [I]Some of the point of patching to address shortcomings.
    It's you who asked, not me. Now you don't like the answer, so it's irrelevant. The only point of patching it's being able to do it, and that doesn't change because you want to trash webOS (as always).
    Newness Developments apps:

  16.    #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    The best is relative. The market decides what is best. The best OSes are the ones that are selling.
    Products that do meat certain criteria usually fall to the wayside.

    Think Betamax, OS2, Sega Dreamcast, etc.
    I have a Sega Dreamcast (or something) buried deep in my back closet that hears you and is deeply wounded.


    Do not speak ill towards those who are dead.
  17. #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    It's you who asked, not me. Now you don't like the answer, so it's irrelevant. The only point of patching it's being able to do it, and that doesn't change because you want to trash webOS (as always).
    It would appear that you didn't like the question. This has nothing to do with trashing, more along the lines of avoiding whitewashing.
  18. #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I have a Sega Dreamcast (or something) buried deep in my back closet that hears you and is deeply wounded.


    Do not speak ill towards those who are dead.
    I apologize. Sorry for your loss.
  19. #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Are you joking, I assume.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    It was HP that was joking.
  20. #220  
    It would appear that you didn't like the question. This has nothing to do with trashing, more along the lines of avoiding whitewashing.
    I loved the question, basically because I knew you was going to fing it "irrelevant" because is not the answer you expected.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

Posting Permissions