Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    While the consumers might be happy with the Apple/Amazon/B&N, large and small business need a true multitasking beast of a tablet.TP fits the bill. The TP got the following features already

VPN
    Apps for Editing Microsoft Office
    Outlook Support
    Remote Access

HP needs to iron out the kinks in the webOS software. If anything HP needs a revamped TP2 for business. Thats where they blew it. Market it as business tablet. I bet large companies will buy the TP for $ 350.00 ( with added HP support)
    Reality Check 1 Check 2. The iPad is already getting big in Corporate America. This is what contenders need to be on par with or overcome:

Deploying iPhone and iPad Exchange ActiveSync

Deploying iPhone and iPad Virtual Private Networks

Deploying iPhone and iPad Virtual Private Networks

iOS: Setting up VPN

Supported VPN protocols

Citrix Receiver App for iPad Now Available on App Store (2010)

RSA for iOS

Microsoft OneNote for iOS now available, lets you create and edit notes on the go

Office:
    Goodreader
    Readledocs
    Quick Office
    and a myriad of others, not to mention Microsoft Office Coming To iPad Next Year, Says Report

Centrally manage devices (Not available for Webos):
    Boxtone
    Airwatch
    Good

Admittedly, the Touchpad had some very nice ideas, it would be nice to see them out in the wild, but it was never more than a squirrel trying to get a nut.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/01/2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I'm curious to know why anyone would think HP would make another webOS tablet? Android, the most popular smartphone OS, has barely made a dent in the tablet world, and the first stab at a webOS tablet ended in failure, chaos, and hundreds of millions of dollars lost. HP would be insane.
    Because it would be so cool.

It would be really nifty, so all those silly reasons (horrible product, no apps, no developers, no ecosystem, horrible market reaction, huge losses, embarrassing fire sale, competitors staking out dominant market positions) are insignificant.

Remember, this is WebOS we are talking about. It will happen because it would be so cool if it happened.

Similar to the logic of Android tablets, without the phone success.
    nappy likes this.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    For me having a windows tablet seems like a pretty big step in the wrong direction for tablets. There is some value from an enterprise on using the devices but that would be the extent of it for me. I like my webOS tablet because it is so simple to use. I don't have to worry about bloat ware, viruses, and overly complicated settings. webOS is fairly straight forward and doesn't require spending a lot of time trying to fix something that should never have been broken. If you were designing a new operating system from scratch and wound up with Windows as it is today I would consider that an epic fail. Having to pay Microsoft for it just adds to the failure.

Apple has more money than God and seem intent on using it to sue their Android competitors at any chance. One good reason to avoid using Android for HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjacobs View Post
    For me having a windows tablet seems like a pretty big step in the wrong direction for tablets. There is some value from an enterprise on using the devices but that would be the extent of it for me. I like my webOS tablet because it is so simple to use. I don't have to worry about bloat ware, viruses, and overly complicated settings. webOS is fairly straight forward and doesn't require spending a lot of time trying to fix something that should never have been broken. ...snip
    Can it be surmised that you Touchpad is vanilla, with no patches or kernels?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I do have the uberkernel installed on my Touchpad and a few patches. They improve the experience but I think that overall webOS 3.04 works well for me and does what I need it do. I don't spend the time cursing my Touchpad that I do with my PC. My overall point being that I would not view having Windows 8 on a device as a net positive. People in general are obviously more familiar with Windows but I am not sure how much they view Windows positively.
  6.    #186  
    article by jkendrick certainly interesting and validates current view that tablet market problems will not go away easily with win8. It would serve HP right to kill webos for "win8 savior" and then find themselves no better off and perhaps worse with competition from generic manufacturers and no proprietary software for competitive edge.

Windows 8 tablets will target what market again? | ZDNet
    just in! apparently HP is testing a TP+1! this one will have a portrait slider qwerty!
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    I would like to point out the fact that you're missing one more possibility:

Killing webOS and calling it a year!

Yeah that is a possibility
    Will HP drop just like that webOS and throw it away as a classifed asset, not to open in 50 years. Keeping it away ,like poison.?

Will HP just lose billion dollars invested in webOS just like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    just in! apparently HP is testing a TP+1! this one will have a portrait slider qwerty!
    Was that sarcastic? Seriously? Links please !

Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Yeah that is a possibility
    Will HP drop just like that webOS and throw it away as a classifed asset, not to open in 50 years. Keeping it away ,like poison.?

Will HP just lose billion dollars invested in webOS just like that?
    Although I am not wishing for that to happen, but after the firesale decision for a 45-days-old device, I am expecting EVERYTHING from HP.
  10.    #190  
    Hey guys,
    apparently Whitman had an internal meeting with some HP France employees and said positive things about webOS. Apparently she is looking to go forward but allay some of the risk. Maybe a partnership or jv would help her out.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...os-chance.html
    If HP could just rally some manufacturers to build some phones with WebOS, it would be enough to gain some market share and a couple thousand more apps in the market.

I don't even care if it's 3 phones from each company a year, it's better than the Apple way. Apple is successful, because it's Apple. They built their own operating systems AND build their own ~style of~ hardware. It's different for a company like HP, which could easily be generalized as a "manufacturer" who slaps Windows on a piece of mediocre hardware and sends it to Best Buy.

WebOS could really be something for HP, but they need to get their game plan straight.
    i don't see HP making phones again. They really blew it sticking with the Pre model as their only play in the game. The tablet was a great v.1 but they should of quickly improved on it with both the 7" and full size. Shame shame shame
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    i don't see HP making phones again. They really blew it sticking with the Pre model as their only play in the game. The tablet was a great v.1 but they should of quickly improved on it with both the 7" and full size. Shame shame shame
    They still make the iPaq..
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    do they? had no idea. still, no webOS phones from HP coming is what I'm saying.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post

Which is a device where the R&D was paid off years ago and they keep them around for enterprise customers who have a specific app that they want their mobile workforce to use, hardly the same thing...
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The wider context is if she does decide to go on a WebOS adventure - how is she going to finance it?

Both Standard & Poor and Fitch downgraded HP's rating this week - basically the acquisition of Autonomy has created a problem for both liquidity and financial flexibility. She might want to do something but find that it's too risk in the current climate to announce that she's going to chance another couple of billion.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Can it be surmised that you Touchpad is vanilla, with no patches or kernels?
    My Touchpad is vanilla, and works flawlessly
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The wider context is if she does decide to go on a WebOS adventure - how is she going to finance it?

Both Standard & Poor and Fitch downgraded HP's rating this week - basically the acquisition of Autonomy has created a problem for both liquidity and financial flexibility. She might want to do something but find that it's too risk in the current climate to announce that she's going to chance another couple of billion.
    Let's wait and see those "innovative" decissions she is talking about, but I can see them using webOS on those ARM servers, on printers, cash registers,...

Not that they don't have hardware to put webOS on it, and dissolve the development costs...
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Right, as other people have pointed out her idea of innovation might have nothing to do with consumer electronics. The other big issue in the tablet space is the amazon fire - android OEMs are expecting a glut of products because of the success of this item - with the fire on one side and the ipad on the other, the market is even more hostile than it was the first time around (phones are not a realistic prospect).

That leaves the WebOS toaster...

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    sinsin07 likes this.
    anyway, the 32GB version could (after a long time) be ordered for 329 EUR at Amazon.de today and I did.
    so some of the devices are still cruising arond.
    I hope, they will deliver!

Mr. Apotheker for sure didn't reassure the market about HP future, I think he wanted HP to be a second IBM.
    I am keen to see what initiatives Mrs. Whitman has in mind.
    What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast