Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #1  
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Too funny.

I knew that Amazon had a need for a fully functioning mobile OS.

How many goofballs said that "Amazon would NEVER consider going into the mobile space...blah blah blah...They are NOT a hardware manufacturer...blah blah blah...They have everything they need as they are purely a consumption device...blah blah blah...They have absolutely NO interest in Palm and anyone who even thinks that they are looking into the acquisition is a complete moron...blah blah blah"

I guess we'll see, but one things for sure, they are definitely looking into the purchase of Palm assets, just as reported for the past 6 weeks or so...
    Fox News: 4Q2012: Amazon planning Smartphone. Did they buy HP webOS already?

Amazon plans iPhone rival

A smartphone from Amazon "may be coming next holiday season," noted Citigroup Global Markets analyst Mark Mahaney.

The war is for digital media sales against Apple and Google and with an smartphone could become an all-encompassing retail powerhouse.

My projection in this case is that Amazon who was reported in a negotiation with HP for the webOS software might be on a final phase. HP before said a decision for the fate of webOS will come in a couple of months in Oct 26, and lately in Nov 15th, Stephen DiFranco from HP also said a decision will come shortly.

HP is holding an earnings conference call in Nov 21st, and the inevitable question afterwards will certaintly be about webOS. And if HP is not keeping webOS for a new tablet, and if Amazon is going war with Apple and Google , they might be the new webOS owner for this next Monday or week.

Hold your horses, however we are expecting an HP official annoucement at this time.

Amazon's smartphone entry is uncertain but the device is expected to be manufactured at the same location -- Hon Hai's TMS business group -- where its Kindle e-reader and Fire tablet are made, the analyst reports.

Citigroup says a smartphone is the next logical step for Amazon to follow up its popular Kindle e-reader and new Kindle Fire.

"We continue to believe Amazon has now set its eyes on the mobile (and tablet) media and product consumption frontier," Mahaney noted. The firm expects an Amazon smartphone to emerge around the fourth quarter of 2012.

Google Music's launch Wednesday turned up the heat against Amazon's digital music sales. The shot for a piece of the market dominated by Apple's iTunes underscores the three-way race.

According to Citigroup analyst Mark Mahaney. “Based on our supply chain check, we believe FIH is now jointly developing the phone with Amazon,” Mahaney wrote in a research note. “However, we believe that Amazon will pay NRE to FIH but the device and multiple components will actually be manufactured by Hon Hai’s TMS business group.” Additionally, Mahaney said that Amazon will likely use a Texas Instruments OMAP 4 processor, and that it will adopt Qualcomm’s dual-mode 6-series baseband chip as well. Read on for more.

“For a normal brand like HTC, they need to price the product at US$243 to make 30% gross margin,” Mahaney wrote. “If Amazon is actually willing to lose some money on the device, the price gap could be even bigger,” he explained, noting that Amazon’s device could be sold for between $150 and $170, or about the price it will cost to build the phone.

Sources: An Amazon Smartphone? It Could Happen Next Year, Analyst Says | Fox News via An Amazon smartphone? It could happen next year, analyst says

Related forum post:http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...ml#post3244565
    Rnp and fxspec06 like this.
    Buying Palm will certainly help them in the mobile space. The million dollar question is: will they only use the patents or will they use the OS as well?

EDIT: I wonder why so many copies of this post showed up?
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 11/18/2011 at 09:36 AM.
    Hi all,

I've maintained from the very first time Amazon's name came up...they would buy webOS and they would make a smartphone....if for no other reason they want to see a common thread that allows you to move your books, music and movies from their device to another of their devices....

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    If that is true I'm very surprised. Wouldn't have thought that Amazon goes into the Smartphone market - which is a whole different ball game and not an obvious good fit for Amazons prime business (and analysts seem to agree - share price went down).

But I still don't see what webos would bring to Amazon. Using webos on smartphones while using Android on tablets makes no sense. Abandoning their current user base and switch to a diffferent platform for tablets makes no sense.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Really? You have no idea what webOS could possibly bring to Amazon?
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Really? You have no idea what webOS could possibly bring to Amazon?
    Well, it would instantly make their phones completely incompatible with the app ecosystem they've been building, marketing, curating, and highlighting on the Kindle Fire. Who could say no to that?
    Yeah, or it could also completely separate them from one of their biggest competitors by not using the source code that they provide for free...

I mean come on people how dumb do you have to be to figure out that you do not get into bed with your biggest competition if you intend to take them on head on...
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    But I still don't see what webos would bring to Amazon. Using webos on smartphones while using Android on tablets makes no sense. Abandoning their current user base and switch to a diffferent platform for tablets makes no sense.
    Remember Android and WebOS are both Linux under the hood. They just need to port the Dalvik virtual machine to WebOS and it will run Android apps.

Probably they would end up with something that has traits of both WebOS and Android, but I still think this makes more sense than making themselves dependent on Google - who has now moved into the music business after all.
    T-Pad likes this.
    I want webOS to thrive, its really sad HP couldn't get the developers behind webOS like it should have, really failed at executing the plan.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    If that is true I'm very surprised. Wouldn't have thought that Amazon goes into the Smartphone market - which is a whole different ball game and not an obvious good fit for Amazons prime business (and analysts seem to agree - share price went down).

There is no word that it the phones, if this is true, we be webOS based. But if they can get the right to webOS for a good price, it could makes some sense:

From the early reviews, the Kindle Fire is not that good. Lots of pre-orders, let's see what the follow through is.

The Touchpad frenzy already shows that a decent piece of hardware will sell at a good price. They would have to sell at a loss (not at $99.00 though)

With the healthy eco-system they already have in place for consumer content, they can sell the value-added services HP gave up on. (Don't think they are not looking at the Google music service and seeing where that might go?)

They have a massive cloud platform, it could make an attractive value added package for a webOS based smartphone. ($50 a year for a USABLE 50gb)

Still lots of potential downside too:
    for example, do they have the stomach to suffer an earnings hit short term to see their plan through?

Would a phone using many of the same consumer services (music, video, etc.) cannibalize their tablet aspirations?

Who knows? But it will be interesting to see what the plan will be, webOS or not.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, it would instantly make their phones completely incompatible with the app ecosystem they've been building, marketing, curating, and highlighting on the Kindle Fire. Who could say no to that?
    I think Amazon is platform-agnostic. They would open an Apple app store if they were allowed to... and run them all simultaneously.
    Look, nobody gave a crap that the Kindle Fire was an Android thing.
    Amazon could release this phone and sell millions of them within the first few weeks.
    They have the means, the vision, and the desire to succeed in the mobile space where HP failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Yeah, or it could also completely separate them from one of their biggest competitors by not using the source code that they provide for free...

I mean come on people how dumb do you have to be to figure out that you do not get into bed with your biggest competition if you intend to take them on head on...
    But it doesn't matter. What Amazon is selling are portals to their stores so you can buy their content. One of the Kindle Fire's selling points is being able to access Amazon's curated apps. Switching to webOS on phones means they give up the Amazon AppStore that they've built over the past year and they'll have to hope their customers don't notice how barren the webOS App Catalog is. It also means they'd completely sever all compatibility with Kindle Fire, at best, or have to maintain two app stores at worst.

Who would want to do that?
    It don't make sense to sell a phone that is incompatable with it's tablets and the Amazon App Store. Buying the Palm patents makes sense now. They will be used to protect there "Android" smartphone.

Remember by the time the smartphone is released, Amazon will have released 3 Android tables - Fire, an 8.9" tablet, and a 10.1" tablet (maybe with the smartphone).
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    But it doesn't matter. What Amazon is selling are portals to their stores so you can buy their content. One of the Kindle Fire's selling points is being able to access Amazon's curated apps. Switching to webOS on phones means they give up the Amazon AppStore that they've built over the past year and they'll have to hope their customers don't notice how barren the webOS App Catalog is. It also means they'd completely sever all compatibility with Kindle Fire, at best, or have to maintain two app stores at worst.

Who would want to do that?
    Partially a good point but not completely accurate. They are going to make money selling SERVICES... music services, movies, books, etc. None of those are dependent on the AppStore.

As so many were fond of saying about the Touchpad, "You can make up money on a loss leader by selling $2.00 apps" If HP couldn't do it, how can Amazon?

And on a 8GB device with an emphasis on storing large files like movies and music, how many apps do you figure there will be room for anyway?

And you know, if they sell a few million of anything that can run an app, there will be developers looking to get some of that business and the apps will come.
    Last edited by C-Note; 11/17/2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Or how about this thought:
    Amazon built up their Android app store with the thought that they would use Android as a development platform to get into the mobile business, but once they realized that they actually had the infrastructure in place that other mobile companies are looking to build, they suddenly realized how stupid it was to be affiliated in any way shape or form with one of two of their substantial competition, both of whom combined own 97% of the space they are trying to get into.
    To actually make use of webOS, the only thing that really makes sense to me, is that they come out with a compatibility layer that attaches to webOS, to run what they've built already.

You don't come out with your first platform device, and then immediately announce you're coming out with a phone on a different platform.

Interestingly, though, hardware manufacturing details were all given, but no software details. It -is- strange. This could be a "we have to announce the hardware now because we're about to plunk down an assload of cash on it, but we're still in negotiations on software" .. but they can't build the hardware without the software. Which likely means that they've got this running on Android.

webOS doesn't run on TI chips, but who knows what they've been working on on the sides this whole time. We're still getting webOS updates, and no one out here really knows what's going on other than the bits that we do get pushed to us.

ALSO, they are making a point of saying that the comm hardware is going to be Qualcomm, which means it's going to be CDMA hardware, which means it's going to be Sprint or Verizon compatible. We all know about Palm's history with Sprint, would Sprint even look at anything that even resembled webOS? Anyone know?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Soon we'll see the "will the Amazon WebOS phones be on Sprint" threads.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast