Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65
Like Tree19Likes
  1. #21  
    I don't see how Amazon could have purchased WebOS without people knowing... But then again I don't know because Microsoft kept quiet when they bought Skype.

    Even if, I feel like a WebOS phone by Amazon will be just as subpar as the Veer and Pre 3 were (in the public eye).
  2. NoICon's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #22  
    Which is a bigger combined revenue source; books, movies, and music or apps? If you have the former does not the latter come?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Partially a good point but not completely accurate. They are going to make money selling SERVICES... music services, movies, books, etc. None of those are dependent on the AppStore.
    Right, the Amazon Appstore is really more of a loss-leader type of thing to get people buying the higher margin stuff. And it's not a bad strategy - when you buy a Kindle Fire, you're guaranteed popular titles like, say, Plants vs Zombies or Netflix; stuff that isn't available on webOS. Stuff that people care about.

    But back to the point... when Amazon is making money selling services on their forked version of Android, why would they need webOS?
  4. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    To actually make use of webOS, the only thing that really makes sense to me, is that they come out with a compatibility layer that attaches to webOS, to run what they've built already.

    You don't come out with your first platform device, and then immediately announce you're coming out with a phone on a different platform.

    Interestingly, though, hardware manufacturing details were all given, but no software details. It -is- strange. This could be a "we have to announce the hardware now because we're about to plunk down an assload of cash on it, but we're still in negotiations on software" .. but they can't build the hardware without the software. Which likely means that they've got this running on Android.

    webOS doesn't run on TI chips, but who knows what they've been working on on the sides this whole time. We're still getting webOS updates, and no one out here really knows what's going on other than the bits that we do get pushed to us.

    ALSO, they are making a point of saying that the comm hardware is going to be Qualcomm, which means it's going to be CDMA hardware, which means it's going to be Sprint or Verizon compatible. We all know about Palm's history with Sprint, would Sprint even look at anything that even resembled webOS? Anyone know?
    + 1, good one. Me thinks the same.
    May be they are working with webOS and Kindle fire APPs compatibility. Its linux at the core level. If you can add another layer of JVM the compatibility issues can be taken care.

    I would add another angle to this. Pretty soon Amazon will loggerheads with Apple and Google on their KINDLE app. The content (movies,music,...) is the king. Google and Apple are the natural enemies of Amazon, why because these three are the biggest out their with their own eco system. The most important thing for Amazon is to reach out to more consumers. What better device than a smartphone can help them reach out ? webOS is the way to go. They can control every aspect of the webOS the phone/ apps/ back up...
  5. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Right, the Amazon Appstore is really more of a loss-leader type of thing to get people buying the higher margin stuff. And it's not a bad strategy - when you buy a Kindle Fire, you're guaranteed popular titles like, say, Plants vs Zombies or Netflix; stuff that isn't available on webOS. Stuff that people care about.

    But back to the point... when Amazon is making money selling services on their forked version of Android, why would they need webOS?
    a.A phone can help them sell content to more consumers.
    b.Making phone on forked version is tougher than making a Fire (which IMO is horrible).
    c.They need an operating system that does phone.
    e.webOS. Period.

    Do it now Buy webOS
    Do it later start building your own mobile software.

    The choice is clear.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    a.A phone can help them sell content to more consumers.
    Agreed. All they need is a Kindle app, an Amazon MP3 Store app, and Amazon Prime for video.

    b.Making phone on forked version is tougher than making a Fire (which IMO is horrible).
    How so? They're already starting with the full source code for Gingerbread -- a version of Android that is designed for smartphones.

    c.They need an operating system that does phone.
    e.webOS. Period.

    Do it now Buy webOS
    Do it later start building your own mobile software.

    The choice is clear.
    The choice isn't clear -- and I'm not even sure if there is a choice here -- because Amazon is already building their own mobile software. They have full control over every aspect of their operating system.
  7. #27  
    There is an underlying reason why this may succeed (i hesitate to say will). Anytime you read about Android you read about fragmentation. Say Amazon does use WebOS and port Davlik to it...you can pretty much end fragmentation on the Amazon App store, and therefore be a major disrupting force to Google's Marketplace. With WebOS running Android Apps they can keep Enyo running AND say oh, BTW if you would rather just write your App for Android thats okay too, because EVERY PHONE Amazon produces will be guaranteed to run every App in our App store. They basically will be creating the Android / WebOS version of Apples App Store. They will also be selling the hardware.

    Now of course this is all speculation, but I can't imagine the brain trust that Amazon employs did not think of this. If this happens, it will be ginormous and Google will take a serious blow
  8. #28  
    Ruby's Revenge
  9. #29  
    It really is quite interesting. I'm curious as to the time table for announcements, though. Most of the Palm division is going to be on holiday, starting any time from yesterday for those with extended vacations, to early this coming week. And that's pretty normal for a company in this sort of business. The vast majority of large businesses that I work with are going to have absolutely nothing at all going on over the next 8 days or so, because of the upcoming US holiday.

    Hewlett Packard, however, is having their conference call.

    Hewlett Packard said 2 weeks ago? that an announcement would be coming in 3-4 weeks.

    HP is going to have some questions that investors are going to want to hear some answers to. The investors aren't going to be on holiday.

    Then again, this whole story of botched everything started at a routine investor's call, right? Maybe it will end there.

    The post about disrupting the Google Marketplace is actually rather interesting, too.
    We already know (or at least, this is what I've heard) that the Fire does not have complete Android capabilities. That Amazon has gone and done their own thing. I don't know what's in Amazon's app catalog at the moment, but if they were to get a full complement of devices up and running, that were guaranteed to be able to run nearly every webOS app and every Fire app, and a large qty of Android apps, well.. hell. About the only thing they've got left to do there, is to open up the license on Enyo so that we can get our apps running on everyone else's platforms .. and then they ... oh, snap.

    Amazon moves Enyo to the Fire, the majority of TouchPad apps automatically run on Fire. They open up Enyo to the other platforms, and suddenly the Amazon App Store can service everyone.

    Pipe dream? maybe.
    Last edited by eblade; 11/17/2011 at 11:15 PM.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10. #30  
    the webos question afterwards the conference call is inevitable
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

    I've maintained from the very first time Amazon's name came up...they would buy webOS and they would make a smartphone....if for no other reason they want to see a common thread that allows you to move your books, music and movies from their device to another of their devices....

    Take care,

    jay
    I agree. Amazon have had a powerful ecosytem a long time ago, and will need an smartphone some time to keep it on crecendo or growing against Apple and Google
    ilovedessert likes this.
  12. T-Pad's Avatar
    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    + 1, good one. Me thinks the same.
    May be they are working with webOS and Kindle fire APPs compatibility. Its linux at the core level. If you can add another layer of JVM the compatibility issues can be taken care
    Don't forget that there're two companies out there who already offer something like an Android compatibility layer clearly not targeted towards the end user. I don't have their names at hand but they've already been mentioned several times in this forum.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    a.A phone can help them sell content to more consumers.
    b.Making phone on forked version is tougher than making a Fire (which IMO is horrible).
    c.They need an operating system that does phone.
    e.webOS. Period.

    Do it now Buy webOS
    Do it later start building your own mobile software.

    The choice is clear.
    What is Amazon's version of gingerbread but a forked phone OS?

    I really don't understand the blindspot that exists on this site where people try and claim that Android is not a full-featured mobile OS - it's very very odd.
    StuckwVerizon and sinsin07 like this.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #34  
    I see one forbes report is claiming this phone will run on.... windows phone???
  15. #35  
    Stuart Varney on Fox Business News just said IF Amazon develops a smartphone then it would PROBABLY be using the Android OS.
  16. #36  
    maybe it will be an exclusive (temporarily) licensing deal with HP for use of webOS. This would allow amazon to not have to buy the platform and would give HP webOS a a major push back into the market. If amazon with all the size, clout and advertising is investing in webOS as a platform then I would think other manufacturers might be less skidish about taking the risk and licensing webOS.

    oh and ruby is on the board at amazon, he could be coming back to HP and taking his platform back!
    What does this button do?


    crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
  17. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What is Amazon's version of gingerbread but a forked phone OS?

    I really don't understand the blindspot that exists on this site where people try and claim that Android is not a full-featured mobile OS - it's very very odd.
    Just to clarify, I am not sure how much of the functionality is Google Specific on Gingerbread. Do you think Amazon can just fork it and make a phone ? The network APIs and other hardware know how is more of a Google + ( Samsung,Dell,LG, MOTO,HTC) thing.

    It could be simple or might take some effort, but I can see that it takes time.
  18. #38  
    Makes sense. Amazon already has the infrastructure to deliver content and Apps for $$. This is 'on strategy' for Amazon, or at least it leverages assets they have.
  19. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    The post about disrupting the Google Marketplace is actually rather interesting, too.
    We already know (or at least, this is what I've heard) that the Fire does not have complete Android capabilities. That Amazon has gone and done their own thing. I don't know what's in Amazon's app catalog at the moment, but if they were to get a full complement of devices up and running, that were guaranteed to be able to run nearly every webOS app and every Fire app, and a large qty of Android apps, well.. hell. About the only thing they've got left to do there, is to open up the license on Enyo so that we can get our apps running on everyone else's platforms .. and then they ... oh, snap.

    Amazon moves Enyo to the Fire, the majority of TouchPad apps automatically run on Fire. They open up Enyo to the other platforms, and suddenly the Amazon App Store can service everyone.

    Pipe dream? maybe.
    yup, the Fire is missing many features.
    The Fire has a crappy email client ( from what I have seen on videos). It is also missing bluetooth feature.
  20. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Just to clarify, I am not sure how much of the functionality is Google Specific on Gingerbread. Do you think Amazon can just fork it and make a phone ? The network APIs and other hardware know how is more of a Google + ( Samsung,Dell,LG, MOTO,HTC) thing.

    It could be simple or might take some effort, but I can see that it takes time.
    As far as I am aware, that is what that chinese fork did (em.. Miui is it called?) with no problems, nothing I've seen about android suggests that a company like Amazon would have any problems.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions