Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's obvious to any long term Treo owner, or anyone who visits this discussion area, that the Treo is a lemon. I'm on Treo number 5 and I don't see it getting any better. Treos are bought by busy people who can't afford to be dead in the water because their Treo has failed again. Handspring remains clueless on the subject....
    “We’re not totally surprised that it’s taking a little while to take off,” said Will Rees, Handspring’s GPRS Treo product manager. “The groundswell is taking a little bit longer than expected.”
    Treos aren't selling because they are a defective product.
    So is it time to take legel action? Should we be organizing for a class action suit? How many Treo failures are we willing to put up with?
    I am on my FIRST Treo. No failure, no problems, no returns, nothing. I am very happy with it and will not be putting my name in the hat. Of course, this is my personal experience, others may vary. What is the percentage of people on this board to the amount of Treos that have been bought. I would say, without any reasonable objection, that it would be an insignificant amount.

I dont mind if someone wants to sue a company for an overly defective product. I also hate living in such a litigious society where, when something goes wrong, we just sue. What are you suing for? A new Treo? One that works? Money? If you really dont like the Treo, I have an idea, stop buying it! Buy something that does. Nothing tells a company that they have a shoddy product better than dropping or no sales at all.
    Ah, another testament to a rather shameful strain of American society. Just because you or a small fraction of people appear to have bad luck with these things doesn't mean you need to sue. As far as I can tell, the only common thread to your 5 Treos is you.

--Kurt
  4.    #4  
    There are scores of complaints about Treo failures on this discussion area alone and many of them include multiple returns. Start with "Treo Failures: Survey" and keep reading. Then check out some of the other Treo web pages where you will find hundreds of more complaints. One can easily determine that this is no small problem and has hurt a sizable percentage of Treo buyers. If it is "shameful" to complain about being one of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people who have been sold a bad product, then I will wear that badge with honor. Indeed, if it is a virtue to be snookered by corporations, I will endeaver to live as "shameful" a life as possible.
    I too have had no problems with my Treo and consider a well made prosduct. There are always going to be a small percentage of problems.

Frank
    Okay, I will follow up on this. I own a Treo 90. My 90 has been flawless in operation. Using Treo as a generic term for the entire line may be a flaw in your argument. I must say that it looks like there is a problem in the design of your units, the same each time. You did say in a previous post that if you can get a Palm or Sony you would in a heartbeat. Why haven't you? Yes, have Handspring account for the problems, but, a class action suit? Like I have said before. I dont like our litigious (okay, I like the word) society we live in when the only solution we have is to sue.

I dont discount you have had a problem, but remember, there may be more than hundreds of people, maybe thousands, that have not had any problems whatsoever, myself included.
    Originally posted by mu23
    There are scores of complaints about Treo failures on this discussion area alone and many of them include multiple returns. Start with "Treo Failures: Survey" and keep reading. Then check out some of the other Treo web pages where you will find hundreds of more complaints. One can easily determine that this is no small problem and has hurt a sizable percentage of Treo buyers. If it is "shameful" to complain about being one of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people who have been sold a bad product, then I will wear that badge with honor. Indeed, if it is a virtue to be snookered by corporations, I will endeaver to live as "shameful" a life as possible.
    Look at my post count; I know lots of people have problems. I also know that a lawsuit will end up benefitting the lawyers (as class-actions tend to do) without really helping consumers at all. Remember, it isn't wrong to sell a product that breaks, so long as a good faith effort is made to prevent such breakage and they try to remedy the situation. The very fact that you've recieved 5 Treos shows me HS tries to help you. It's not like they are ignoring you. You think you've been "snookered"? They have "hurt" you? This is a phone. Not a Pinto.
  8.    #8  
    Yes, it has been a real problem for me. I am running a large construction project and spend most of my time in the field. When my phone breaks it causes big problems. It hurts my job performance, it hurts the project as a whole, it cuses delays, it has a negative impact on our bottom line, and hurts our customers. My Treo is not a tech-toy, it is my office. However, we are straying from the point, which is that there are many people who are going through the same frustrations. Again I urge you to read the other posts at Treo Central that illustrate this problem. The proof is in front of your face.
    Why dont ou just ask for a refund because you are on your 5th Treo? I am sure that an exception to the 30 day money back guarantee can be made in your case. I dont see what u expect to get from a law suit. BTW My Treo 270 has been working just dandy.

It's obvious to any long term Treo owner, or anyone who visits this discussion area, that the Treo is a lemon. I'm on Treo number 5 and I don't see it getting any better. Treos are bought by busy people who can't afford to be dead in the water because their Treo has failed again. Handspring remains clueless on the subject....
    “We’re not totally surprised that it’s taking a little while to take off,” said Will Rees, Handspring’s GPRS Treo product manager. “The groundswell is taking a little bit longer than expected.”
    Treos aren't selling because they are a defective product.
    So is it time to take legel action? Should we be organizing for a class action suit? How many Treo failures are we willing to put up with?
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  10.    #10  
    "My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?" It's in the mail, broken again.
    "My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?" It's in the mail, broken again.
    Dude, you should just give up. It just was never meant to be. Frankly, I'd never bring my Treo onto a construction site. I'm not saying you haven't taken care of it, just that most people put it in their pocket or purse and spend all day in a cubicle farm.
  12.    #12  
    Kurt, you have a good point, most people don't use their handhelds under harsh conditions, nor do they use them 8-12 hours a day. Oddly enough, I have used other handhelds in the field (Palm 3c, 3x, m505, i705) and they all performed well. I took my 3c and 3x with me for 3 months to the rainforests of Guyana where I lived in a shack, and they are both still working a year later. Modern construction projects are filled with people using wireless handheld devices that stand up to years of use and abuse. The Palms work, the Ipaqs work, the Nextels work the best; why won't the Treos hold up? I have never even dropped any of the 4 Treo's that have passed through my hands, nor have they ever been exposed to more moisture than an office worker would encounter.
    I really like my Treo, I just want it to perform as advertised. I am not looking forword to junking the Treo, buying a new cell phone, changing phone numbers and plans, and all the rest of the annoyances of changing my work-tek choices and I don't think it's fair that I should foot the bill to do so. The first 2 times my 180 died I asked Handspring if I could upgrade to the 270, with me paying thedifference, as I had heard the 270 wasn't plagued with speaker problems ( I am not so sure of that fact now), and Handspring turned down my request. They turned down many other people who wanted the same option. To add insult to injury, they also charge $25 to rapidly exchange a dead Treo. This does not make for happy customers. I also wonder why so many major retailers have dropped the 180 and 270 from their product lines? Perhaps they were tired of all the deleriously happy owners returning the things every few weeks?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Treo 300. Works great. I can tell that it is a bit delicate though. Took a bit of tech support to get it doing all that it is supposed to do wirelessly.
    Jeff Schaffer
    jschaffer@usa.net
    The really funny thing about the Treo is that they are broken by design.

The deal with the speaker cable going through the hinge means was a terrible design choice.

The speaker cable on EVERY Treo will fail eventually. Some sooner than others, but it is only a matter of time. If your Treo hasn't broken yet, you're living on borrowed time.

Is that call for a lawsuit? I don't think so, as long as Handspring keeps fixing them. When they decide to stop repairing them (and they will, eventually) they are going to have a lot of very pissed off users. And yes, someone will probably sue.
    Originally posted by jchristopher
    The really funny thing about the Treo is that they are broken by design.

The deal with the speaker cable going through the hinge means was a terrible design choice.

The speaker cable on EVERY Treo will fail eventually. Some sooner than others, but it is only a matter of time.
    Hmmm. Vehicles with power windows and/or power locks have wires that go through hinges.

Seriously though. I own two Treos, a 180 and a 300, and I love 'em. No hardware problems and the only software problems I've had so far has been copying everything from the 180 to the 300. There are over 100 apps plus data installed on them.

I no longer need a laptop. In fact the Treo is better for my needs than a laptop.
    If I may try to do a "last word:"

Some people have Treos that break all the time. They are upset.

Some people have Treos that don't break. They are happy.

I've had a 180 and am now on a 270. (Wife now has the 180.)

Yes, I've had issues. The 180 is the second one. Its speaker went out about 4 months into ownership. Quick and easy replacement, and I was back in business. All at HS expense. My wife has used that phone continually since, and it has given her no problems.

I'm on my third 270. These three all came along about a month between each other. First one was a dumb mistake on my part. I dropped it. The bottom half of the screen went a really weird shade of blue combined with yellow. All I could think was "How much is this gonna cost to get fixed?!?!?" Called HS to arrange repair. The help desk asked if the screen was physically cracked or otherwise physically damaged. I said no, and HS said they'd ship me a replacement, free of charge. In my honesty, I reminded the guy that I had dropped it. He said he understood, but with the screen not physically damaged, they would replace it free, and of course expedite shipment. No cost to me. Wow!

Second 270 was a HS problem. I waited patiently for the "official" GPRS update, and when I tried to install it, I got a sector lock error. Called HS, they said this meant the Treo would not be able to be upgraded. They once again expedited a replacement at their cost.

This third 270 took the GPRS upgrade with no problems, and I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with it since.

Am I a completely satisfied HS customer? Well, honestly no. I would love to have not had to return my Treo numerous times. However, each time they handled it in a completely professional manner, quickly, and at their expense.

Do I anxiously await their next communicator? YES! I think HS has learned a lot from the quality control issues, and I still think my Treo beats anything else out there. (I'll never give up my thumb-board! And the others I've seen are too clunky!) And I believe that the next-generation Treo will once again stomp the competition.

Class action lawsuit? No way. Caution when the next-gen hits the streets? Sure. Even so, I can handle having to return a unit at HS expense, if like my current Treo, it gives me the coolest all-in-one device out there.
    We have three Treo's. Bought them early. All three have been replaced at least once. I've actually lost count.

I attribute this to the fact that we bought our Treo's early. We'd check the HS web site hourly as the launch dates for the 180 and 270 approached, and try to be one of the first to order. Such was our enthusiasm for this product.

I say "was" because the multiple replacements, and the ongoing delay of GPRS on Cingular, combined with very poor communication from HS's Leadership, as eroded much of the enthusiasm for HS the company.

When I really think about it though, it would be a real pain in the **** to go back to a palm pilot plus a phone. This is probably the source of the desire to file a law suit. You're just venting your anger towards HS the company for not delivering 100%.

If I ordered a new Treo today, I suspect that I would not have a problem with it. The last round of replacements have been fine for the last six months or so.

HRB
    Another thing to note is that people don't typically post saying "My treo is working great" everyday that it's working great. MBs are filled with those having issues. It just seems like a lot of people are having problems. But we're pushing close to 100,000 Treos produced. Only a small number have issues.

Another thing is that handspring is so nice about fixing tiny problems for nothing and making it easy. People like me send our Treo 90s back because the stylus is falling out. That doesn't really affect function of the unit and is not really a big deal. Still it gets a lot of coverage on this site and others when in reality I'm just spoiled by their great service.
    mu23,

A construction site is not the place to take bleeding edge technology. No one had done what handspring was attempting to do.

The i300 was a joke as a palm phone. The Treo is a compat powerful piece of electronics. However, it is brand new a garunteed to have problems. Thats the price of having the latest technology.

What you want is a tried and tested rough and tough piece of machiner. Honestly you probably want a symbian. They are pricy and lack flash but they are the F-150s of the handheld world.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast