Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to join these parts of the webOS puzzle Nov 14th-15th, 2011 news, so I will need your help on this post:

Note: These news are coming from the HP Varnex Partners Conference Canada.

1.-WebOS Rumor: Amazon checking out patents posted on this forum: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...bos-rumor.html

2.-From three different sources:

DiFranco told CDN Whitman is currently doing an evaluation of WebOS and the future of the TouchPad. “As you know, we took tablets off the market and that has been a challenge for not just us, but all tablet makers whose name isn't Apple.”

Source 1: Channel partners key to HP decision to keep PSG: DiFranco

DiFranco took a few questions from the audience, confirming that development of webOS is ongoing at the software level, but saying that another run at the TouchPad or a similar media tablet was unlikely. “As you can see from other people selling tablets, that has been a very challenging market for non-Apple products,” DiFranco conceded. However, work is ongoing on Windows-based tablet devices, he confirmed.

Source 2: DiFranco: "We're glad to be at HP"

But what of webOS? DiFranco said the tablet arena is a “challenging [market] for non-Apple products, and we need the right product. The webOS software team is still up and working and operating. A decision [will come] shortly.” The VAR Guy sensed some trepidation on DiFranco’s part, especially since he referenced HP’s focus to build Windows 8 tablets while discussing webOS tablets in the future.

The VAR Guy predicts webOS will fade away, as HP shifts its efforts on ultrabooks and tablets that are built around the Windows 8 experience. Meanwhile, HP VARs should be excited to have a thick portfolio of products to choose from in 2012.

Source 3: http://www.thevarguy.com/2011/11/15/...-talks-up-psg/

3.- IMO:

Amazon might be or might not be studying the webOS patents package to buy or not.

Meg Whitman was taking time just saying a webos 2.0 tablet could come. Posted on this forum: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3238530

What Di Franco said today Nov 15th are fresh news and it is just his opinion.

Will HP announce something webOS vague at HPīs earnings conference call this next Monday Nov 21st ?

When the webOS 3.0.5 update will be launched?

What a heck is really going on with webOS, at this time?

P.S I think we shoud wait for the official resolution of the HP board with Meg Whitman in.
    Last edited by akitayo; 11/15/2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: more information
    Rnp likes this.
  2.    #2  
    Full article source 1:

Channel partners key to HP decision to keep PSG: DiFranco
    PSG boss Stephen DiFranco address the channel on HP's future at the VARnex conference

LAS VEGAS – The head of Hewlett-Packard Co.'s (NYSE: HPQ) personal systems group (PSG) in the Americas, Stephen DiFranco, told more than 350 channel partners attending the VARnex conference that HP released an update to WebOS and that the TouchPad's future will be left in the hands of newly appointed CEO Meg Whitman.

DiFranco told CDN Whitman is currently doing an evaluation of WebOS and the future of the TouchPad. “As you know, we took tablets off the market and that has been a challenge for not just us, but all tablet makers whose name isn't Apple.”

DiFranco added the company is in a quiet period but did say HP will continue with a Windows 8 tablet, but as for the future of HP tablets that decision will be left up to the board and Whitman to make.

Mitchell Martin, Synnex Canada president, said the future of WebOS and the TouchPad remains to be seen, but added the distributor has been supportive of HP's decisions. “I see HP as an extremely important manufacturer in the channel.

Either way, we would have supported them and to the nth degree; they were clear with their commitment to the channel with a (PSG) spin-off or not. That business saw great success in Canada and we've been active in telling their story,” Martin said at the VARnex conference, which is hosted by Synnex.

DiFranco admitted it's been “some interesting times for HP and PSG” this year. He did reveal that the channel's wish PSG still be a major part of HP and not be spun off or sold did play a vital role in Whitman's decision. DiFranco added Whitman invited him to be a part of the press conference because of the channel feedback she received.

“The channel partners told us there are great benefits from one entire portfolio and I'm proud that the channel became an important part of the decision. Now it's time to get back on track,” DiFranco said.
    DiFranco provided attendees with an outline on new technology. But he also provided a vision for what technology will be like in 2020. He said the channel should invest in a practice for connected devices. From his research, DiFranco stated that there will be four billion people connected the Web in 2020 out of population of eight billion.

“That sounds like a big number,” he said, but it dwarfs in comparison to the 31 billion devices which will be owned by the four billion connected people. Those devices will use 450 billion connections and 1.3 trillion tags and sensors. And, by 2015 there will be more devices than people connected to the Internet. “Everyone will feed data into a data centre and into the cloud with these devices whether you hold one for education, industrial or healthcare.”

“Our industry is about to explode when these devices get connected. We shall run between 10 to 100 different devices in our life. HP will need the entire product portfolio to deliver what the customer wants,” he said.

DiFranco said HP would be making a strategic bet on professional notebooks such as the EliteBook, the desktop, thin clients, large format displays, ultra portable notebooks and workstations/work-surfaces.

“We'll see the rebirth of the desktop and its called the All-in-One. You will see far fewer towers. It will be the newest kitchen appliance and we'll come up with a line of industrial-type of All-in-One products just for the channel,” DiFranco said.

There will also be an opportunity for the channel in thin clients that will not have a hard drive and be a part of the virtual managed workplace. HP thin clients will have a better integration with data centres, DiFranco said.

The next evolution of display will be in large format such as the HP VantagePoint unit, which is a full-size screen similar to jumbotrons. This multi-touch display will be for public place and provide the channel with opportunities in content creation. In ultrabooks, DiFranco said he is positioning them as an Apple alternative.

He believes there is an opportunity for the channel on the commercial side of the market for ultrabooks designed for business that will include business software, security and connectivity.

Synnex's Martin said the distributor is already configuring these types of notebooks with a personal side and a business side to cater to the trend of bring your own device.
    Finally, workstations will morph into work-surfaces and HP is developing product for five person applications that groups can collaborate better.

DiFranco closed by saying channel programs and promotions will focus on the practices the channel has. “At the end of the day my job is to make sure our products supports your goals and initiatives,” he said to the VARnex members in North America.

Link: Channel partners key to HP decision to keep PSG: DiFranco
  3.    #3  
    Full article source 2:

DiFranco: “We’re glad to be at HP”

Americas leader for PSG on staying within HP and identifying developing market opportunities

LAS VEGAS – Just a short month ago, Stephen DiFranco was in the awkward position of coming to Las Vegas to present to a reseller community (Ingram Micro’s VentureTech Network) in the midst of tremendous upheaval at HP that included the very real possibility that his business unite (the Personal System Group) would be spun off from HP proper.

So it’s probably no surprise that returning to Sin City this week for Synnex’s Varnex Fall Conference, DiFranco, HP’s PSG chief for the Americas, seemed quite relieved by the way things have played out since then.

“We’re glad to be at HP,” DiFranco told attendees. “This has been a very unique last quarter with the evaluation of the PSG organization inside of HP, and I’m very proud to have been part of that review and to have been with [new CEO] Meg [Whitman] when she announced PSG was going to stay at HP.”

DiFranco thanked the company’s partners for sticking with it through a busy and uncertain quarter, and noted that conversations with channel partners, who strongly supported the idea that HP was better intact than apart, “really drove this decision” for HP to remain whole.

Along with the usual buying power argument, DiFranco cited the scale partners are able to get with a single vendor by having access to products across its ESSN, IPG and PSG division, a scale that leads to HP partners growing faster than the technology industry in general, which itself tends to outstrip GDP growth by a factor of two.

DiFranco pointed out four major opportunities he sees dawning for the solution provider community.

First, the evolution of the “thin client” into the “thin enterprise,” where partners have a major role to play in both data centre and desktop virtualization.

Second, the development of a family of “all in one” desktops for business that aims to take what has been a successful home product for HP and make it into a corporate favorite.

Third, mobile workstations, ultra-high-end laptops that continue to develop in power, and have the potential to untether those who need high-performance computing from their desks.

And fourth, the development of the Intel Ultrabook thin-and-light notebook concept for the corporate markets. “As exciting as this is in the consumer space, we believe there’s also a great opportunity in the commercial space,” he said.

DiFranco took a few questions from the audience, confirming that development of webOS is ongoing at the software level, but saying that another run at the TouchPad or a similar media tablet was unlikely. “As you can see from other people selling tablets, that has been a very challenging market for non-Apple products,” DiFranco conceded. However, work is ongoing on Windows-based tablet devices, he confirmed.

DiFranco also addressed partner concerns about the impact of the floods in Thailand on the availability and pricing of hard drives in the near future. DiFranco stressed that HP is “working hard to get our supply lines line up,” a move especially important since it’s the biggest buyer of hard drives in the world. “We’re going to be okay,” he assured partners.

Further, DiFranco (who with two years as marketing boss at hard drive vendor Maxtor knows a thing or two about the business) praised the hard disk industry as “on e of the most resilient industries I’ve ever seen.”

“They’ve overcome so many issues in the past,” he said. “We’ll inevitably see some disruption, but they’re going to come back hard and fast. I’m confidant they’ll get back up and running very quickly.”

Link: DiFranco: "We're glad to be at HP"
  4.    #4  
    Full article source 3:

Synnex Varnex 2011: HP’s Stephen DiFranco Talks Up PSG
    Nov. 15th, 2011 by The VAR Guy

Synnex is big on HP, The VAR Guy knows this. How so? Stephen DiFranco, SVP of HP’s Personal Systems Group, had his own keynote at Synnex Varnex 2011, during which he attempted to do damage control following HP’s turbulent year so far. The bottom line? Partners can trust HP and its product pipeline — PSG is not going anywhere, and HP is still one big, happy family. So what can partners expect from HP in 2012? Here’s what DiFranco laid out …

DiFranco said “PSG and HP are better together, [and we're] glad to be with HP.” One of the main reasons HP decided to keep the PSG group was because of its channel partners, he noted. “Channel partners and customers saw a benefit in having an entire portfolio from one company. I’m proud about the fact that our channel partners drove this decision at the end of the day. We can get back on track and focus on selling across the [entire HP] portfolio.”

DiFranco laid out a prediction that by 2020 there will be 31 billion connected devices on the Internet, thanks to continuing innovations in technology. And no surprise here, HP plans on having a sizable share of those connected devices. That’s why DiFranco said HP is focusing on the following new products:

EliteBooks: the business line of HP’s notebooks will continue to see updates and refinement.

All-In-One computers: DiFranco said the AIO computer is becoming a connected appliance that’s just as useful in the kitchen as it is in the business environment — “A true replacement for desktops.” HP will focus on bringing industrial and commercial AIO units to satisfy the demand from channel partners. (The VAR Guy thinks these machines will become very useful in a Windows 8 world, too.)

Enterprise-grade thin clients: HP will build the most robust thin clients that suit enterprise virtualization needs and channel partners’ needs, DiFranco said.

HP also plans on building mobile workstations — essentially beefy laptops that can become full-blown “work surfaces” thanks to a dock. New displays for digital signage and large, multitouch display arrays for new advertisements and interactive entertainment are coming soon, too. DiFranco also noted ultrabooks are on the horizon, custom-tailored for the business space.

But what of webOS? DiFranco said the tablet arena is a “challenging [market] for non-Apple products, and we need the right product. The webOS software team is still up and working and operating. A decision [will come] shortly.” The VAR Guy sensed some trepidation on DiFranco’s part, especially since he referenced HP’s focus to build Windows 8 tablets while discussing webOS tablets in the future.

But DiFranco closed with confidence, assuring attendees HP’s future is sound. As a former HP channel chief, DiFranco seemed heartfelt when he apologized to the Synnex partner community saying, “… Thanks for the patience.”

The VAR Guy predicts webOS will fade away, as HP shifts its efforts on ultrabooks and tablets that are built around the Windows 8 experience. Meanwhile, HP VARs should be excited to have a thick portfolio of products to choose from in 2012.

Link: Synnex Varnex 2011: HP's Stephen DiFranco Talks Up PSG | The VAR Guy
    My impression from Whitman's reported comments at the internal meeting was that she was looking at a possible webOS tablet among other solutions but phones are unlikely (although I don't see how they can compete without a full solution). She may still be in the midst of her review and so DiFranco may not know the results yet. Either she is not including PSG in the review or more likely, she is including Todd Bradley, but not communicating to the other PSG members yet (if memory serves me right, she stated on that last conf call about PSG that Bradley, Ruby, the CFO and herself would re-evaluate webOS)

So we will still have to wait and see.

My guess is that Amazon and the other buyers did not offer as much to the company as HP thought webOS is worth--hence Whitman telling the Palm staff that HP is seriously thinking of keeping webOS. The Amazon story, then, is probably older news. Good to know HP puts such a positive value on webOS.
    so no role for webos on tablets...

I get that.

can we concentrate on webos PHONES then?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    My impression from Whitman's reported comments at the internal meeting was that she was looking at a possible webOS tablet among other solutions but phones are unlikely (although I don't see how they can compete without a full solution). She may still be in the midst of her review and so DiFranco may not know the results yet. Either she is not including PSG in the review or more likely, she is including Todd Bradley, but not communicating to the other PSG members yet (if memory serves me right, she stated on that last conf call about PSG that Bradley, Ruby, the CFO and herself would re-evaluate webOS)

My guess is that Amazon and the other buyers did not offer as much to the company as HP thought webOS is worth--hence Whitman telling the Palm staff that HP is seriously thinking of keeping webOS. The Amazon story, then, is probably older news. Good to know HP puts such a positive value on webOS.
    Shortly might mean Nov 21st -Despite is a earnings call, afterwards in Q&A someone is going to ask about webOS for sure. However webOS might come this week before the earnings call in order to avoid that inevitable webos question.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post

I get that.

No, not everything about tablets is said yet. Suggest to stay tuned. However webOS phones not seen in the verizon.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

I agree. They have to look Tablets as a threat to their PC business. Just about everyone is jumping to tablet market. Did we ever imagined that folks will be using a device made by Barnes and Noble for browsing the internet ?

My .02,
    HP and Whitman realized that Tablets business is essential to HP. They are having a change of mind on webOS. Why ? Because Microsoft is far behind in Tablet market.They would rather go with webOS for tablets than an unknown called "windows 8". And phone market for them is dead. So no more webOS phones.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post

I get that.

You will never see another WebOS phone from HP - I can be convinced that they might... might put out another tablet but the phones are a dead-end, I would expect them to announce the WebOS toaster first. HP knows the sort of money that microsoft and partners are throwing at WP7 and finding that sales are still decreasing against the android juggernaut - I don't think they want to get back into that bottomless pit.
    dignitary likes this.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Shortly might mean Nov 21st -Despite is a earnings call, afterwards in Q&A someone is going to ask about webOS for sure. However webOS might come this week before the earnings call in order to avoid that inevitable webos question.

No, not everything about tablets is said yet. Suggest to stay tuned. However webOS phones not seen in the verizon.
    Its been almost three months for them "figuring out" what to do with webOS. My feeling is that they keep the software and announce partners to make hardware. Which is downright silly.

Why would a company known for making laptops and desktops not make a tablet ?
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You will never see another WebOS phone from HP - I can be convinced that they might... might put out another tablet but the phones are a dead-end.
    Yup , agree.
    Unless HTC does a 180 and makes few.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    In the long term I see this as inevitable. The rate at which computers are getting more powerful now exceeds the rate at which the additional power is relevant to the typical user.

Tablets are going to have more than enough power to run full-blown operating systems. And, at the same time, operating systems are getting more streamlined touch interfaces.

These two factors together mean that there is a decreasing need for a mobile operating system that limits you to mobile apps. So either mobile operating systems need to grow to be as powerful and versatile as computer operating systems, or computer operating systems need to be flexible enough to fit tablets.

That's less true for phones, because phones also have severely limited screen space. It's harder to directly bridge the gap. But mobile device type tablets are a short term niche.

How short term? 2-4 years. That is enough time for a couple more generations of tablets.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Its been almost three months for them "figuring out" what to do with webOS. My feeling is that they keep the software and announce partners to make hardware. Which is downright silly.

Yeah, If we think positive as you I would dare to say why not a joint venture between:

Samsung for the hardware
    Amazon for the ecosystem
    HP the webOS software

A winner team. Donīt you think?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    In the long term I see this as inevitable. The rate at which computers are getting more powerful now exceeds the rate at which the additional power is relevant to the typical user.

Tablets are going to have more than enough power to run full-blown operating systems. And, at the same time, operating systems are getting more streamlined touch interfaces.

These two factors together mean that there is a decreasing need for a mobile operating system that limits you to mobile apps. So either mobile operating systems need to grow to be as powerful and versatile as computer operating systems, or computer operating systems need to be flexible enough to fit tablets.

That's less true for phones, because phones also have severely limited screen space. It's harder to directly bridge the gap. But mobile device type tablets are a short term niche.

How short term? 2-4 years. That is enough time for a couple more generations of tablets.
    Probably I am wrong but for what I remember the e-readers were first right.

The tablet came to replace the netbooks and entered the e-books business already of the e-readers niche.

Now the e-readers are tablets which are having success recovering and keeping their business, to sell e-books and online store products. Of course they are sacrifying the tablet with no-profit for their ecosystem survival.

These e-readers tablets are taking the market on the iPad and other brands tablets.
    The question is also, for how long this last tablets PC will stand on leading the market.

Will the new generation of e-reader tablets balance the tablet PC market in a 50/50 share?
    The rate at which computers are getting more powerful now exceeds the rate at which the additional power is relevant to the typical user.
    We've been hearing this since about 1984 or so. Microsoft has done a damned good job at making sure that the extra available hardware resources become quickly irrelevant.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    EXACTLY, because with the advent of tablets, the PC and laptop market is declining. This is partially because many people have discovered that a Tablet can do everything they need, in a small, ultra portable form factor with very little complexity and a LOT more security than a Windows laptop.

The declining market of PC's and Laptops is also partly due to the slowed rate of advancement of actual processing power. For instance I am typing this up on a 6 year old home built PC running a single core AMD 2.4GHz processor with 3GB Ram and Win XP. It still does everything I need it to do. So why buy a new one? The newest computers today are still in the same range of processor speed just with dual or quad cores and more ram. These only help if you are running programs that can take full advantage of multi-cores and/or need the extra ram. The reality is that to browse the web, check email or edit a few documents you don't need a quad core with 8 GB of ram.

HP NEEDS to make tablets to bridge the gap between declining PC/Laptop sales and the growing tablet market. The only question is what OS will these tablets have. Really if it were up to me they would offer their tablets with the options of webOS, Android, and Win8. They should also allow other hardware manufacturers to also offer webOS options.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Yeah, If we think positive as you I would dare to say why not a joint venture between:

Samsung for the hardware
    Amazon for the ecosystem
    HP the webOS software

A winner team. Donīt you think?
    Will never happen. HP has always been first and foremost a hardware company. From calculators, to medical equipment, to servers, printers, desktops and laptops, they have always sold hardware. In recent years they have moved into software, services, and support to round out their full service shop, but it has always been hardware at the forefront.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    We've been hearing this since about 1984 or so. Microsoft has done a damned good job at making sure that the extra available hardware resources become quickly irrelevant.
    This was true for a long time. But as people got to the point where they really didn't need the extra power, and were slower to upgrade their computers, it has started to change. Microsoft realized that, and Windows 7 actually had lower minimum specs than Vista. I expect Windows 8 will have about the same requirements as 7.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Will never happen. HP has always been first and foremost a hardware company. From calculators, to medical equipment, to servers, printers, desktops and laptops, they have always sold hardware. In recent years they have moved into software, services, and support to round out their full service shop, but it has always been hardware at the forefront.
    For what I know, almost every company in the world have a Made in China hardware, at this time , because of the low labor costs and these companies including HP order electronic parts ,components, cases, etc to China.

Only the hardware design and software are not made in China.

Samsung, Sony, HTC and Nokia could be the companies who are making their own hardware yet, but not software, except Samsung with Bada and Nokia with the updated Symbiam .
    I agree the tablet has to be cutting into the PC laptop sales and if HP is going to stay into the hardware end, they are going to need a tablet. They have one now, currently, the Touchpad. Why wait for the Win 8 tablet?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast