Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    Looks like according to this article. amazon is looking thought palms patent portfolio, thus the 3-4 week delay.

Amazon Tipped to Buy webOS | SYS-CON MEDIA
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Interesting, makes some sense and is why I'm waiting for Galaxy Nexus to come out
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I think it's true. If there is still no webOS newsletter this week, it will suggest that HP no longer invest more money on the development of webOS.

No matter what amazon does to webOS, I will be happy with it because it's a great company. At least there won't be just kindle beta anymore!
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    If they buy up webOS, I just hope some day it will be back on phones and Homebrew is still welcome.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Vistaus likes this.
    if their interested in patents that doesnt mean webOS will go anywhere, just means its guts get ripped out and used elsewhere and the remains of webOS gets left to die in a ditch somewhere.
    They may not even do anything with the guts and only use the patents.
    I made mention of the folley of HP selling webOS to Amazon. They couldn't give a rodents hind end about webOS.

I don't think HP will sell the patents, unless they want circling vultures.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    they can't sell most of the patents, they have to sell the mobile phone business.
    It's obviously not true.

Amazon doesn't get anything they need and don't already have from webos. Introducing new tablets with a new system right after they announced/released a bunch of them would only confuse the market and reduce their sales.

Further - the later paragraph that says that HP was interested in Palms patents - but not the OS - also makes zero sense.

If HP is not competing in mobile gadgets - it doesn't need mobile patents.
    If HP is competing - but using another OS like MS Windows (the plan before aquiring webos and maybe again next year if they sell/kill webos) - then - again - they don't need the patents - MS already has a patent warchest to defend its system.

The patents are only useful to HP if they compete - with their own OS and need ammo to defend it.
    And we know what happened. They bought Palm and immediately cancelled windows 7 tabletd and announced webos products.

Amazon might well be interested in some patents (by itself - not with webos - 2 different assets). That's the only part of the rumor that has any credibility. The rest is silly - or a red herring.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Vistaus likes this.
    What are you talking about dude? Of course Amazon get's something that they need and don't already have from webOS, a fully functional mobile OS. And why would it confuse people? I don't get it. They just released the Fire, which was a totally different OS than their other Kindle's and they are gonna probably sell 5 million of them. I guess that's 5 million confused buyers...
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    I think it's true. If there is still no webOS newsletter this week, it will suggest that HP no longer invest more money on the development of webOS.

No matter what amazon does to webOS, I will be happy with it because it's a great company. At least there won't be just kindle beta anymore!
    ?? They are working on 3.05 at least if not later versions and also a business plan for webOS. They just uploaded a new version of the HP catalog app. If they don't send a few promo codes out the door this week, hard to learn anything from it.
    Vistaus likes this.
    From what I hear Kindels are solid pieces if hardware. Amazon could take those, add faster processors, more memory, and webOS to make damn fine device. They might also make some with larger screens.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    The Kindle Fire was designed to be cheap. It's probably decently made, but low specs. Appropriate when your goal is to come in at a low price.

Amazon does have something to gain by distinguishing itself from Android. What are they going to do, continue to update old versions of Android for their customized platform? Pointless work and in the long term it will keep them behind the times. Is that a good enough reason to invest in their own OS and do the work to maintain it? Unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    The Kindle Fire was designed to be cheap. It's probably decently made, but low specs. Appropriate when your goal is to come in at a low price.
    I agree. I was talking more in terms of reliability and stability. This is also why I mentioned them upgrading processor and memory to increase the specs at least a little bit.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Well.. If Amazon indeed buy WebOS, maybe Kindle Fire II will be using WebOS ;P .

It maybe impossible, but I think we just can wait & watch what will happen next on WebOS fate.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    ?? They are working on 3.05 at least if not later versions and also a business plan for webOS. They just uploaded a new version of the HP catalog app. If they don't send a few promo codes out the door this week, hard to learn anything from it.
    my guess is that these updates were made before they received the info about selling to amazon so stopped further development. They might still push these already in progress updates out but no further more.

notice that no new apps in app catalog today? It used to have new apps added to app catalog every single day. Something else is going on in webOS development team distracting their housekeeping works.
    There have been a few other days over the past few months where there were no new updates or new apps in the catalog, don't consider it a sign. At least one of them was also right after a change that broke some things in the catalog, like whatever it is that is causing some apps to have no name and others to have no description. Maybe they are spending time tracking that down and not approving new.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    bluenote likes this.
    If it all bails down to patents, be prepared to see webOS dragged in the mud till no end. As seen before with Amiga, for example. If HP doesn't market the achievements of the Palm engineers, it's a firm clue that they are not in the technology business at all.

Better sell it all to the chinese, for example. I bet they would immediately put things to market.

It's fun buying a bunch of patents for an ESTIMATED value, only to later see that nobody acknowledges that value. Money to the dustbin, literally. Also, defending patents costs money, and you might end up battling offending companies which you have signed other commercial agreements with, thus refraining from battle.

Outside engineering labs, everything is absurd in this industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    If it all bails down to patents, be prepared to see webOS dragged in the mud till no end. As seen before with Amiga, for example. If HP doesn't market the achievements of the Palm engineers, it's a firm clue that they are not in the technology business at all.

Better sell it all to the chinese, for example. I bet they would immediately put things to market.

It's fun buying a bunch of patents for an ESTIMATED value, only to later see that nobody acknowledges that value. Money to the dustbin, literally. Also, defending patents costs money, and you might end up battling offending companies which you have signed other commercial agreements with, thus refraining from battle.

Outside engineering labs, everything is absurd in this industry.
    What?

The Chinese give a toss about adhering to/infringing 'patents'?

Not so far, anyway IMHO!

Perhaps Amazon smell the M'$oft Hound bounding up the road behind them and don't wish to get sandwiched between a Google - M'$oft dogfight.. or at least add some webOS 'teeth' to their own defenses first?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    What?

The Chinese give a toss about adhering to/infringing 'patents'?

Not so far, anyway IMHO!

What, Google is Chinese company ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast