Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    IF amazon buys webOS it is for one reason. To keep Microsoft off their backs about patent infringement.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    If Amazon buys WebOS, they will not switch from Android to WebOS. They will use the patents to make a better version of there Android OS. If they switch to WebOS they will loss the one thing Android have that WebOS don't and that any tablet needs when they come into the tablet market and that is the APPs. Amazon is getting many Android developers to make small modifications to there CURRENT Android apps to run on the Amazon Fire and there tablet line. Amazon will have a very hard time to convince developers to create all new apps for WebOS.

If "someone" talks Amazon into dumping Android for WebOS, it will fail at Amazon like it failed for Palm and HP and it will be 3 companies that he destroyed.
    What I'm saying is if Amazon buys WebOS, the guts of Amazon's OS will be Android but the look and fell will be WebOS
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    What I'm saying is if Amazon buys WebOS, the guts of Amazon's OS will be Android but the look and fell will be WebOS
    I doubt it - they have already settled on their interface paradigm which is why they did a custom front-end. They aren't interested in multi-tasking or anything that distracts from the fire as a consumption device. Pretty much everything that WebOS does well is surplus to requirements to amazon.

Whatever changes we see down the wrong with the Fire OS, they are going to evolve from what we see currently on the fire, there will be no radical shifts. Move-over, they want it to be simple for android developers to put apps on the fire, so the interface methods are never going to stray too far from android itself (use of a back button for example), so the card metaphor is never going to be introduced (easier to steal what is present in ICS now that the source has been released).

I just can't see any interest beyond patents (and I'm no longer convinced that they are that valuable due to the lack of interest so far).
    If Amazon does buy it AND they actually want to use WebOS they would take what they know from Android, port Davlik to perfectly run the apps that are available on the Amazon App Store. With all the Palm patents they will now have the profile to do anything they want in tablet/mobile phone based software.

Keep in mind thats only IF they want to use WebOS. They could very well have altered Android so much by now that they will incorporate features of webos in their custom Android ROM, continue with that (perhaps renaming it) and still have their hardware interfacing with their app store...and not have to worry at all about paying royalty to M$

They will basically create an Apple style ecosystem with hardware/software for Android and have the popular Kindle brand to launch it with.

Its really a win win for Amazon
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    There have been a few other days over the past few months where there were no new updates or new apps in the catalog, don't consider it a sign. At least one of them was also right after a change that broke some things in the catalog, like whatever it is that is causing some apps to have no name and others to have no description. Maybe they are spending time tracking that down and not approving new.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    That's Indeed the case. Proof is the e-mail sent out to Picsel yesterday that they have some techinal problems with the App Catalog. See also the SmartOffice-thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    What, Google is Chinese company ?
    Er.. No.. not quite yet anyway!!

"..Originally Posted by jcmarcos:
    If it all boils down to patents..

..Better sell it all to the chinese, for example. I bet they would immediately put things to market.."

Vistaus likes this.
    I'm writiing this from a 11.6" Hp laptop which has a mechanical dual boot between windows 7 and Hp Quick Web. HP Quick Web is using operating system 3.11 which is apparently the webOS for computers. The model number is HP dm-4010us. It has a SIM slot. For who are interested in mainly web surfing the QuickWeb approach may have great appeal. The point is webOS and windows may become bed buddies. Any life prolongation of webOS may also help its fate in Tablets but change is inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpash549 View Post
    I'm writiing this from a 11.6" Hp laptop which has a mechanical dual boot between windows 7 and Hp Quick Web. HP Quick Web is using operating system 3.11 which is apparently the webOS for computers. The model number is HP dm-4010us. It has a SIM slot. For who are interested in mainly web surfing the QuickWeb approach may have great appeal. The point is webOS and windows may become bed buddies. Any life prolongation of webOS may also help its fate in Tablets but change is inevitable.
    Interesting. What does "quickweb" look like? Does it have cards, notifications? Any screenshots?
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    There have been a few other days over the past few months where there were no new updates or new apps in the catalog, don't consider it a sign. At least one of them was also right after a change that broke some things in the catalog, like whatever it is that is causing some apps to have no name and others to have no description. Maybe they are spending time tracking that down and not approving new.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Adora Lisa Brewster
    PSA: We've been experiencing some delays with the app publishing system. Queued apps will be going out today and tomorrow. /cc @webosdev
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Interesting. What does "quickweb" look like? Does it have cards, notifications? Any screenshots?
    No cards no touch screen on this device. QuickWeb either boots on your choice directly to Bing or to a fairly nice home screen which allows choice of up to eight widgets including weather,clock, a couple of news groups, Twitter, sticky notes from a limited list. On a menu bar above you can list four favorites one of which should be precentral. Its new to me and I have not yet achieved a screen shot. Skype is available on the home screen. I haven't found a way to get other apps. By going to the web you can your Email and access your other sites in the usual way. My Touchpad still works better for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I doubt it - they have already settled on their interface paradigm which is why they did a custom front-end. They aren't interested in multi-tasking or anything that distracts from the fire as a consumption device. Pretty much everything that WebOS does well is surplus to requirements to amazon.

Whatever changes we see down the wrong with the Fire OS, they are going to evolve from what we see currently on the fire, there will be no radical shifts. Move-over, they want it to be simple for android developers to put apps on the fire, so the interface methods are never going to stray too far from android itself (use of a back button for example), so the card metaphor is never going to be introduced (easier to steal what is present in ICS now that the source has been released).

I just can't see any interest beyond patents (and I'm no longer convinced that they are that valuable due to the lack of interest so far).
    You have just pretty much contradicted yourself. Are they not interested in anything that distracts from the fire as a consumption device? Or are they interested in make it easy for Android developers to put apps on the Fire?

At the end of the day what Amazon doesn't have is a full functional mobile OS, which I believe they want. They gave up that to try to cut Google out of their picture, but even before they hit the market with their product there are ways to circumvent the Amazon closed ecosystem.

I have said it before many times, it would be absolutely idiotic for Amazon not to look carefully at webOS (which by all accounts they are doing) and anybody who thinks that Amazon is flat out not interested (and that this is all just some made up rumor) is even dumber.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    You have just pretty much contradicted yourself. Are they not interested in anything that distracts from the fire as a consumption device? Or are they interested in make it easy for Android developers to put apps on the Fire?

At the end of the day what Amazon doesn't have is a full functional mobile OS, which I believe they want. They gave up that to try to cut Google out of their picture, but even before they hit the market with their product there are ways to circumvent the Amazon closed ecosystem.

I have said it before many times, it would be absolutely idiotic for Amazon not to look carefully at webOS (which by all accounts they are doing) and anybody who thinks that Amazon is flat out not interested (and that this is all just some made up rumor) is even dumber.
    They want to make it easier for the developers to port the apps they want to see for their consumption devive – which is why certain categories of apps are prohibited.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    What are you talking about dude? Of course Amazon get's something that they need and don't already have from webOS, a fully functional mobile OS. And why would it confuse people? I don't get it. They just released the Fire, which was a totally different OS than their other Kindle's and they are gonna probably sell 5 million of them. I guess that's 5 million confused buyers...
    You see Amazon selling tablets and think Amazon is in the tablet business.
    They are not. Amazon sells the Kindles more or less at cost. IOW - they don't make money from the Kindles - they likely make a small loss with them.

To Amazon the Kindles are *not* the product. The Kindle Tablets serve the following functions for Amazon:
    1) Storefront
    2) Media delivery (Amazon does sell EBooks, Music and Videos)
    3) Defense - similar to Google - Amazon makes sure to long-term protect their business and not to become dependent on some other company that plays gatekeeper to their content

They already have everything they need. They forked Android and put their own UI on it and they established their own app store.
    They won't get into smartphones. A Kindle app is good enough for that.

They'll tweak the Kindle tablets enough every year so they stay popular enough. They will primarily compete via price. Heck - if the costs could be brought down enough they would give away Kindles to everyone subscribing to Amazon Prime.

webos gives them *nothing* new. All their needs are already covered.

And aquiring webos and announcing new products based on that would hurt their current Kindle business - for no good reason. If enough people are excited about webos - they will hold back from buying Kindles now. If people buy Kindles now and don't wait for webos - then what would webos be good for?

There is no win for Amazon in using webos.

I can see a list of companies who might profit from webos - Amazon is not among them.

Amazon is not interested in buying webos. Never was (since HP dropped the ball).

In addition - it would also be *bad* for us. Again - Amazon is *not* in the mobile gadget business (regardless of how many Kindles they sell).
    There would be 0 smartphones. And if they would use webos on tablets it would be a stripped down version.

Not going to happen. Never was on the table.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Vistaus and slbailey1 like this.
    And they would follow Palms footsteps. Amazon doesn't even have the power to open up their app store on Android for European people, let alone webOS will be released here, just like it was with Palm. When HP took over, they had the power to release webOS here. Palm didn't. Amazon will neither. That means a step down in this case as webOS will then be downgraded from multiuser OS to US-only OS.
    Sure.

Amazon is in the tablet business now, regardless of what you may think, just ask anybody who has bought a Kindle Fire. That is like saying that Apple is NOT in the music industry etc.

Amazon is trying to recruit developers to make cool apps for their tablet. They are trying to make a mobile ecosystem, that's pretty obvious as they have an app store. Their app catalog will die from this point forward as their OS is based on a OS that is already 2 generations old. They will be increasingly removed from the Android development community as time goes on. It doesn't make sense for them to stay with their current OS. I bet they are seriously looking into webOS. As long as they have to maintain their own OS, and have to recruit developers from here on out to develop for their own custom OS, they might as well start with an OS that gives them a complete mobile experience without having to develop that portion from scratch.

And don't delude yourself into thinking that Amazon has no plans to produce a fully functional tablet.

And yes...that more than likely means that webOS will be closed like iOS.
    I think there is a chance, albeit slim, for Amazon to do more than just hold on to the patents.

Sure they would like that, but, they already have an established userbase on webOS in phones and tablets. There is a possibility of reviving the update of the phones, or writing Amazon based apps for the phones to connect to their services, even if they don't want to enter the phone business (which I don't see them doing).

But for tablets, there is once again already a sort-of established userbase that they could play to. Push updates to make it compatible with Amazon services, and you suddenly have +1mil Amazon webOS tablets.

Granted, they have invested a lot of time in to the Fire and the Android skinning there. But, if they want to compete in the future, they need their own OS. I'm sure they enjoy webOS's connectivity to the internet, and they could build off the platform to assist with their future plans. It would be a huge investment to the future of Amazon.

But I don't see any of this happening. Let's hope if they do scrap everything for the patents, they decide to open source webOS. Let's not kid ourselves, it's really the only way the OS survives any purchase.
    The essence of Kindle has always been to do a few things really well. WebOS takes that value proposition in a different direction. So, I don't see a good match of WebOS to the Kindle. Why change a good thing? Amazon's interest in just the patents seems more likely to me.

~~~
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Amazon is in the tablet business now, regardless of what you may think, just ask anybody who has bought a Kindle Fire. That is like saying that Apple is NOT in the music industry etc.
    Apple *is* in the music business. They make money from selling music.
    Amazon is not trying to make money from tablets. To Amazon tablets are *not* the product - just a means to an end.
    If you go to a bricks and mortar shop - the shop is not the product. The shop is the place where you buy the product. To Amazon the tablets are shops.

Amazon is trying to recruit developers to make cool apps for their tablet. They are trying to make a mobile ecosystem, that's pretty obvious as they have an app store.
    Obviously. I didn't say that Amazon is not trying to make their tablets successful. Starbucks makes nice looking cozy cafes - to sell you coffee.

You are correct that Amazon is investing in the app market - it's just not supporting your argument about Amazon being a mobile hardware vendor to be a mobile hardware vendor.
    They just make their "shops" look attractive enough.

Their app catalog will die from this point forward as their OS is based on a OS that is already 2 generations old.
    So pretty much like a large percentage of Android phones - many (most?) of which never get updated to recent versions.

They will be increasingly removed from the Android development community as time goes on. It doesn't make sense for them to stay with their current OS.
    You mistake a new version of Android with a totally different OS.
    To support new generations of apps they only need to support the APIs that new apps require - and the original Android is still open source. Amazon can merge the necessary changes back in.

I bet they are seriously looking into webOS. As long as they have to maintain their own OS, and have to recruit developers from here on out to develop for their own custom OS, they might as well start with an OS that gives them a complete mobile experience without having to develop that portion from scratch.
    You are defeating your own argument. With an Android fork they have to do a bit of maintaining their own version. Most of the work is done by Google for free.
    With webos they would have to do it all.

It makes no sense.

A year or 2 ago Amazon *might* have been interested in webos - if it could get it cheap enough.
    Now it would only hurt them to switch out the OS.

And don't delude yourself into thinking that Amazon has no plans to produce a fully functional tablet.
    The Kindle fire is already a fully functional tablet. It has apps and a browser - that's all you need (if well done and well supported).

In your opinion - what would Amazon actually gain by using webos?
    More apps? - nope
    Multi-tasking? - Not important on Kindles - and already available in Android.
    Attractive UI - Amazon already reskinned their Android fork to their own liking.

So - on the down side
    * confusing market with 2 incompatible OS.
    * paying several hundred millions
    * Additional investments in time and money to adapt webos to their Kindle needs
    * maintaining a complete OS by themselves, a lot of which they have no use for (not going into smartphones, not interested in open tech, etc...) instead of just maintaining their delta on source provided for free by Google

On the up side (for Amazons purposes)
    * nothing
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    slbailey1 likes this.
    To me, while some CEO say nothing, all this stories are FAKE...

Call me skeptical, but I just don't believe in nothing more that is not official. Anybody else or I'm alone?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast