Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    wsj HP beats estimates video. Not so bad HP earnings:

H-P Beats Estimates - MarketWatch Video
    Thanks for that video... I truly hope HP settles down, stops making acquisitions it can't really capitalize on, and ultimately finds a financially viable way to support existing WebOS customers. I'm probably being too optimistic.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by All4fun View Post
    Thanks for that video... I truly hope HP settles down, stops making acquisitions it can't really capitalize on, and ultimately finds a financially viable way to support existing WebOS customers. I'm probably being too optimistic.
    Another video this time by Bloomberg

There are several factors to re-join and it is smart to make an stop to reboot the business.
    I couldn't give two ****s about what HP does outside of what's relevant to me: their mobile business.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Here's the big question for me - if the Palm assets (webOS and patents) have been written down to $400 million or so and we are constantly told that the IP is worth big money, does that mean that WebOS has been written down to be effectively worthless?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Here's the big question for me - if the Palm assets (webOS and patents) have been written down to $400 million or so and we are constantly told that the IP is worth big money, does that mean that WebOS has been written down to be effectively worthless?
    Could be accounting and tax issue, not market value--ie the closing of the hardware biz enables them to deduct most of purchase price right away and get tax benefit, see my post above. I did not look clearly to see if irs penalizes for such a quick closing. certainly shareholders ask questions and hp is asserting huge losses. Their footnotes identify the webos expenses but do not the Autonomy and other expenses by name although they were almost as large, but webos gets all the blame and attribution in the press. And webos was struggling although yeah, if you kill a new product in the pipe and firesale it or dump parts in a landfill, bound to never recoup expenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy
    webOS is basically the poison that kills companies.
    About poison, some members of P|C that love other SO must be careful to do not bite his tongue...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Could be accounting and tax issue, not market value--ie the closing of the hardware biz enables them to deduct most of purchase price right away and get tax benefit, see my post above. I did not look clearly to see if irs penalizes for such a quick closing. certainly shareholders ask questions and hp is asserting huge losses. Their footnotes identify the webos expenses but do not the Autonomy and other expenses by name although they were almost as large, but webos gets all the blame and attribution in the press. And webos was struggling although yeah, if you kill a new product in the pipe and firesale it or dump parts in a landfill, bound to never recoup expenses.
    You could be right about that - however, the more I look into this, the more I think that if a buyer isn't found by December, they will simply write off the rest (the software) in the next quarter and be left with some patents that are banked.
  8.    #48  
    CNBC Video
    HP CEO Meg Whitman First report after the conference call. Not talking about webOS, but is interesting to know her business projection:

HP Blogs - Video: CEO Meg Whitman discusses HP
    Last edited by akitayo; 11/26/2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    CNBC Video
    HP CEO Meg Whitman First report after the conference call. Not taking about webOS, but is interesting to know her business projection:

HP Blogs - Video: CEO Meg Whitman discusses HP
    She has a point. I think that they will announce the death of webOS sooner than I thought. She made it clear that Consumer market is not doing well considering the current financial status of the Europe and America. I guess that she also sees the risk. I don't think that she will make the call most of us were hoping for.

I got the feeling that she was screaming: SOFTWARE! SOFTWARE! SOFTWARE! the whole interview .
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    She has a point. I think that they will announce the death of webOS sooner than I thought. She made it clear that Consumer market is not doing well considering the current financial status of the Europe and America. I guess that she also sees the risk. I don't think that she will make the call most of us were hoping for.

I got the feeling that she was screaming: SOFTWARE! SOFTWARE! SOFTWARE! the whole interview .
    In that case I hope at least webOS get purchased by a great company with a better vision for it.
  11.    #51  
    Meg Whitmans First Report Card
    WHITMAN ON HP:
    WE'RE MAKING INVESTMENTS IN R&D, WE'RE MAKING INVESTMENTS IN THE SALES FORCE AGAIN, WE'RE GOING TO RUN THIS COMPANY MORE EFFECTIVELY, AND THEN THERE'S SOME OF COURSE HANGOVER FROM THE TOUGH YEAR THAT HP HAD IN 2011 WE'LL STILL FEEL SOME OF THE EFFECTS I THINK IN THE BEGINNING OF 2012."

WHITMAN ON THE WEAK CONSUMER:
    WHAT WE SAW IN 2011 WAS THE CONSUMER WAS WEAK FOR US THROUGHOUT THE YEAR. AND THEN THE COMMERCIAL MARKET STARTED WEAKENING IN Q 3 AND Q 4 AND Q 4 WAS WORSE THAN Q 3. I'M OPTIMISTIC THAT WE'LL BE ABLE TO TURN THIS AROUND, BUT WE HAVE REAL HEAD WINDS GOING INTO 2012."

WHITMAN ON BEING OPTIMISTIC:
    "I'M OPTIMISTIC, THAT WE'LL BE ABLE TO TURN THIS AROUNDBUT WE HAVE REAL HEAD WINDS GOING INTO 2012, AND THAT'S WHY I FELT IT WAS PRUDENT TO GUIDE CONSERVATIVELY AND LAY OUT FOR THE INVESTOR COMMUNITY THE CHALLENGE THIS COMPANY IS FACING, BUT WHY THERE IS REAL OPTIMISM. BECAUSE WE'VE GOT AN INCREDIBLE SET OF ASSETS. WE'VE GOT GREAT PEOPLE. THERE'S LOTS TO BUILD ON HERE. BUT 2012 IS GOING TO BE A REBUILDING YEAR."

WHITMAN ON CONSUMER CONFIDENCE:
    "ONE OF OUR LEADING INDICATORS ON CONSUMER CONFIDENCE BELIEVE IT OR NOT IS INK SUPPLIES HOW FAST DOES INK SELL THROUGH THE DISTRIBUTOR CHANNELS AND DIRECT TO OUR CUSTOMERS AND INK SUPPLY THE SELL THRU HAS BEEN WEAK IN EUROPE AND HISTORICALLY OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS ITS BEEN AN AMAZING PREDICTOR OF WHAT CONSUMERS ARE FEELING AND WHAT GDP IS LIKELY TO BE SO AT LEAST IF INK SALES ARE ANY INDICATOR EUROPES IN FOR A ROUGH SLED HERE AT LEAST FOR THE FIRST HALF. "

WHITMAN ON GUIDANCE:
    "WHAT WE SAW IN 11 WAS CONSUMERS WAS WEAK FOR US THRU OUT THE YEAR AND THEN THE COMMERCIAL MARKET STARTED WEAKENING IN Q3 AND Q4 AND Q4 WAS WORSE THAN Q3 SO I'M OPTIMISTIC WE'LL BE ABLE TO TURN THIS AROUND BUT WEVE GOT SOME REAL HEADWINDS GOING INTO 2012 WHICH IS WHY I THOUGHT IT WAS PRUDENT TO GUIDE CONSERVATIVELY AND LAY OUT FOR INVESTOR COMMUNITY CHALLENGES THIS COMPANY IS FACING "

WHITMAN ON EARNINGS:
    ."I THINK THE INVESTOR COMMUNITY HAS LOST CONFIDENCE IN OUR ABILITY TO PREDICT AND DELIVER EPS AND I WANT TO FOCUS ON THAT. REVENUE IS IMPORTANT BUT I WANT TO FOCUS ON PROFITABLE REV AND PROFITABLE GROWTH PARTIVULARY IN OUR SERVICES BIZ WHERE WE HAVE TO IMPROVE THE MIX OF THE BIZ AND DELIVER MORE EARNINGS ON THAT REV SO REV GROWTH IS IMPORTANT BUT WANT TO SWITCH EMPHASIS ON EARNING AT LEAST FOR NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS."

WHITMAN ON BUYBACKS:
    "CERTAINLY THEY'LL SLOW IN 12, PROBABLY NOT STOP ENTIRELY BUT THIS COMPANY GENERATES TREMENDOUS CASH LOAST YEAR WE GENERATED 12.6B IN FREE CASH FLOW WHICH WASN'T A RECORD YEAR FOR HP BUT BY ANY MEASURE IT WAS A VERY HEALTHY RESULT SO WE'RE GOING TO PAY DOWN DEBT REBUILD BALANCE SHEET."

News Headlines
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123