Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rmausser
  1.    #1  
    Dear HP, you failed misterably with aquiring Palm and webOS. Here is a list of everything you did wrong. Its clear that you are way too narcasistic and confident to have even put any thought into this. You had no experience in this ecosystem, and "throwing money around" doesnt work in the mobile arena like it does with computers. You have to be much smarter. So this is what you did wrong.

1) Did not outline a clear objective of what the company is doing.

Palm Pre 2 randomly dropping outta nowhere, anyone? I was more confused from july 2010-2011 than I have ever been with any company. No one had any idea what was going on...and I dont think you did either.

2) Decided to spend time completely remaking a dying OS and then release it too early.

So, webOS was on life support when you aquired it. It needed a new round of devices, and apps, stat. So what did you do? Spend 8 months completely revamping it into a new OS, webOS 3.0. It was not the time. At version 2.2, webOS was mature enough to at least put out some "stopgap" devices while you worked away on a complete facelift for the OS. So it would not be "tablet enabled"... neither was Android before Honeycomb, and i'd argue that webOS 2.1 was more tablet ready than even Honeycomb is now. You should have released a 7" tablet, Pre3 and the Veer in february, and waited to release webOS 3.0 at a later time when it was ready.

3) Priced the Touchpad the same as the iPad.

Really? who were you kidding with this one. An ecosystem needs to be built from the ground up. The above mentioned "stopgap" devices should have been sold dirt cheap at a loss, to get consumer interest and developers turned onto webOS. THEN, you could release devices worthy of Apple pricings later on.

4) Made developers pay for devices, but hand out free ones on the street in laday gaga costumes.

Thats just insulting.

5) Not pay top app creators to make apps for webOS.

You need a couple well named apps to get both consumer and developer interest.

6) Released the Veer first.

It was a niche phone. Not a brand leader. The smallest dog never leads the pack.

Anyonre want to add to this?
    un_designer and C-Note like this.
    i certainly see where your coming from, bang on tbh, its just a shame that HP wont even care about what mistakes they made, the fools in charge have blinkers on and are tunnelvisioned into Plan B)

Just a damned shame so much talent has either been "retired", sacked or went elsewhere after sensing the upcoming insanity from the higher ups.
    I concur. We now lack the ammunition (did i spell that correctly?) to make a dent in HP's bureacratic decision making. All we can hope for is for another OEM to place the right bid, and do the right thing for webOS. Yes I know, we all thought HP was that OEM last year. Sadly, as they say, the third time is the charm? So, here's to hoping this time around someone will be sympathetic not just to the hardware or the software but to the customers <us>. Someone that will listen to us, do the proper market research, not believe they can take one giant leap above either Android or Apple iOS. Cause at the end of the day...or few years, webOS will not overtake Number 1 or number 2. But, boy will I appreciate coming in third place to them. Perhaps someone will notice then?
    This dates back to Palm's stewardship but I think a key mistake was opting for, essentially, webapps as THE development framework rather than allowing compiled native code. This was further compounding by the webOS SDK inexplicably lacking things like microphone and camera access.

If Palm's goal was to prevent developers from building the fun apps people buy in droves on iOS and Android, then they were wildly successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Dear HP, you failed misterably with aquiring Palm and webOS. Here is a list of everything you did wrong. Its clear that you are way too narcasistic and confident to have even put any thought into this. You had no experience in this ecosystem, and "throwing money around" doesnt work in the mobile arena like it does with computers. You have to be much smarter. So this is what you did wrong.

2) Decided to spend time completely remaking a dying OS and then release it too early.

4) Made developers pay for devices, but hand out free ones on the street in laday gaga costumes.

Anyone want to add to this?
    Sure, here is one for your list:

7) 'Do or do not, there is no try'....

Please, no more 'in the coming months' or making an announcement about something that is half a year out. Six months in mobile tech is pretty much a product cycle, especially in Android months.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    This dates back to Palm's stewardship but I think a key mistake was opting for, essentially, webapps as THE development framework rather than allowing compiled native code. This was further compounding by the webOS SDK inexplicably lacking things like microphone and camera access.

If Palm's goal was to prevent developers from building the fun apps people buy in droves on iOS and Android, then they were wildly successful.
    Nappy, I agree with you. (And the world hasn't ended )

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    I thought they wanted to do 5) ? Haven't they said something like that?
    But they said a lot of things... "#1 PLUS" being one of my favorites...
  8.    #8  

sorry, its called webOS, not compiled c'OS.

I think Palm was overambitious with this goal and only now with html5, webGL, advanced CSS and the Flash plugin can proper apps be made with web languages. You will see more and more apps on other devices and platforms move to web languages in webkit plugins.

webOS was just 2 years too early and 2 years too late.
    sorry, its called webOS, not compiled c'OS.

I think Palm was overambitious with this goal and only now with html5, webGL, advanced CSS and the Flash plugin can proper apps be made with web languages. You will see more and more apps on other devices and platforms move to web languages in webkit plugins.

webOS was just 2 years too early and 2 years too late.
    'cept the problem is the promise of "you already know how to develop for it" didn't attract any developers. If anything, it drove away developers that needed to code to the metal.

And it's not like they were blazing a trail with their focus on webapps. Apple launched the iPhone (a year before the Pre shipped) with the idea of using webapps for third party apps and the developer revolt forced them to offer a native SDK.
    We also found out from reddit right after the famed announcement by an HP engineer about the products that HP had in the pipeline. The projects for phones and other devices were all horribly mismanaged, and it was very largely an internal issue, it seems. Had HP failed (as they did) with all the points you mention, but still released the products on time, I think we would have seen just a slow start by HP and then begin to pick up speed once price reductions for the TouchPad came down, devices went in to consumers hands, etc.

But ultimately, the problem was from Leo Apotheker being at the helm. We would be saying different things if Mark Hurd was still leading HP...
    Honestly, it's not that they released it too early, it's that it took them too long to be ready.

I'm not saying that the webOS developers aren't talented, but they were already late as soon as they started. If HP had all these resources, they needed more people working on things to have the Touchpad out and in a fully ready form at the very latest in March.

I mean, Palm did the exact same mistake, I don't know how anyone could see how horribly waiting from January until June worked for the original Pre and think that it was a good idea for the relaunch of the brand.
    The very worst thing HP did was hire Léo Apotheker.

Can you imagine? The Board hired this clown without even meeting him! And then Léo announced his sweeping changes without even consulting the division manager whose divisions he wanted to dump! This multi-lingual knucklehead should be at the wheel of an ice cream truck in Toonerville, not at the helm of the largest and proudest marque in computers.
    Last edited by GoBears; 11/09/2011 at 07:23 AM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    7) 'Do or do not, there is no try'....
    I fully agree and give you another one:

8) Haven't spent a fraction of the money lost in the firesale for integrating Myriad's alien dalvik into webOS (or to other companies who are developing key (=most popular on other mobile eco-systems) apps, e.g. Netflix, Shazam, PDF-Reader supporting DRM, Cut the Rope, Amazon, eBay, ... possibly also Opera for implementing at least their mini version which makes sense especially on the phones)

EDIT: I've just seen this is already partially covered by 5), but anyway I wanted to point out a missing android emulator (like RIMs) - even if not all apps were running this would supply tons of apps for a start.
    Pre³ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  14.    #14  
    'cept the problem is the promise of "you already know how to develop for it" didn't attract any developers. If anything, it drove away developers that needed to code to the metal.

And it's not like they were blazing a trail with their focus on webapps. Apple launched the iPhone (a year before the Pre shipped) with the idea of using webapps for third party apps and the developer revolt forced them to offer a native SDK.
    No, Apple wanted developers to create apps that were housed remotely like websites.

The SDK for webOS and the 'webapps' for Apple were literally, Apples and Oranges.

Its the difference between making a website for the iphone and having an entire html5 SDK at your fingertips with API's and hardware support.

Developers did not develop for webOS because of web languages. They didnt because Palm didnt even release the SDK until months after the release of the Pre, and by they time the SDK matured, it was obvious that Palm was failing at selling phones to users.

Developers dont care what they have to code in if theres a huge market with a potential to make a huge ammount of money. Apple, with their huge developer fees and (for a long time) requiring you to code entirely on the Mac OS for the iphone is proof of this.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Simply put, tried too hard to gain the cool factor instead of promoting the product on the merits of its own strengths......

hindsight: 20/20