1.    #1  
    There has been a lot of discussion on the T-Jingle ringtone, and I just discovered something of interest...

Last night, I crashed my Treo pretty bad and had to do a hard reset. Before I HotSync'd, I looked at the ringtones, and there as no T-Jingle. So, I selected a ringtone and did a soft reset. Still no T-jingle, and my selected ringtone survived the reset. Next, I went to the phone app and turned on the radio. After getting 'flip' and the 'Welcome to T-Mobile' the signal strength and 'T-Mobile' usually appear instantly at the top of the screen. This time, however, the signal strength instantly came up, but the 'T-Mobile' didn't show up until 2-3 seconds later. I then went to the ringer prefs and lo and behold... there was T-Jingle!!!

So, it seems that T-Jingle is not coded into the GPRS upgrade, but the upgrade permits T-Mo to automatically 'flash' the phone and modify the ringer.

That would explain the person who said that T-Jingle showed up without a soft reset...it came over the air.

Michael
    Interesting. Cingular and AT&T customers... do you get T-Jingle, too?
    No special jingle on Cingular, but remember that we do not have an official GPRS patch, and it was the official GPRS T-Mo patch which has added the custom ring tone.
    Well, here's more cannon-fodder: I am a t-mobile customer, with the patch installed, but no gprs contract (yet). My phone app has t-jingle, and defaults to it with a reset (annoying!), but I still have "welcome to voicestream"...

Anyone like to weigh in on this one?

PS Anyone think that I will have to re-install the patch once I sign up for the gprs connection?
    Well, you can have it not default to T-Jingle using RingerFix.

That is weird about the service provider name. I thought the GPRS patch changed that.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by metsfan

That is weird about the service provider name. I thought the GPRS patch changed that.
    I agree - my Treo immediately started displaying T-Mobile instead of Voicestream right after the GPRS upgrade, and before I signed up for GPRS service.

Michael
    Originally posted by mfacelle
    So, it seems that T-Jingle is not coded into the GPRS upgrade, but the upgrade permits T-Mo to automatically 'flash' the phone and modify the ringer.

That would explain the person who said that T-Jingle showed up without a soft reset...it came over the air.

Michael
    I don't think the T-Jingle comes over the air. What's going on is that when the Treo knows that your carrier is T-Mobile, it starts showing the T-Jingle in your rings.

Apparently the Treo has the ability to have carrier-specific settings built in and these come into use based on what your current carrier is. Some (probably most) of these are hidden from the user and affect the way the Treo uses the network. Others are visible to the user, like extra ring(s), Blazer home page, whether to hide the option to change the home page... (what else?)
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by silverado

I don't think the T-Jingle comes over the air. What's going on is that when the Treo knows that your carrier is T-Mobile, it starts showing the T-Jingle in your rings.

Apparently the Treo has the ability to have carrier-specific settings built in and these come into use based on what your current carrier is. Some (probably most) of these are hidden from the user and affect the way the Treo uses the network. Others are visible to the user, like extra ring(s), Blazer home page, whether to hide the option to change the home page... (what else?)
    I stand corrected... Poking around with RsrcEdit I came across a database in ROM called CarrierRingTone which appears to contain two tones, Beep Beep and T-Jingle.

Michael