Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is Best, and easiest Photo Installer/Manager?
    the Handspring Photo Album seems to work pretty well: http://www.handspring.com/software/customize.jhtml
    I agree that HS Photo Album is one of the better apps out there and it's free. Note that when you use it with the Treo 90, you may need to add ".pdb" when naming your album. The Desktop side of the app converts jpgs, gifs and picts. The Pict quality is the best of the three when converted for your Treo. I have GraphicConverter for my mac and convert all images to 120x160 pict files. before make a photo album.
    GraphicConverter for my mac and convert all images to 120x160 pict files. before make a photo album.
    Does it make the files smaller when they are transfered to the treo?
    I converted some 32bit 2 meg images to 160x120 16bit images. They are 39K on the Treo. GraphicConverter can't do 12bit, or I could make them a little smaller, since we're viewing them on a 12 bit screen.
    Last edited by J. Kevin Wolfe; 12/18/2002 at 12:51 PM.
    I tested several apps last May. I wanted to use HS Photo Album since it was free, but in the end found that SplashPhoto was a much better choice (if I remember correctly, image quality was better possibly because SplashPhoto uses the whole screen to display and HS Photo Album does not).
    I have used HS Photo Album, SplashPhoto, AlbumToGo and MGI. My personal choice is SplashPhoto, but if you don't mind a short wait (5-10secs) while it "finds" your photos in memory HS Photo Album is o.k. and best of all its FREE!!!!
  8. kin
    Pics converted by Splashphoto is around 75K large. Too big in my opinion.
    JpegWatchLite came with snappermail, and it has the ability to display a JPEG directly. The advantage here is that a 160 X 120 file is more like 8KB rather than 40KB. This is a pretty major advantage, especially for those of us carrying lots of pictures of our kids.

I couldn't figure out an easy way to get the pictures onto my Treo. Wound up emailing them to myself, a very slow process in the pre-GPRS days. (Free, though, with free weekends.)
    Perhaps ease of installation is what you get when you buy the full version, but the lite version seems to work fine.
    Another alternative is FireViewer, which is a viewer for still images, html documents, and even video. You can use it as freeware or pay and get more functionality. It compresses jpegs (etc...) into a proprietary format for storage in memory, yet allows you to zoom and pan a full image on your Treo, unlike SplashPhoto which forces you to crop the image to 160 x 160 pixels. The desktop software which converts images for import onto the Treo is simple and intuitive, as is the SplashPhoto desktop software.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I just tried installing HS Photo Album, but the images i transferred over (taken on a 2 MB digital camera, and very good quality on my PC monitor) were very poor and pixillated on the treo screen. Now, I understand that the device is limited to 160x140 pixels, and some color format (12 bits perhaps, I can't recall offhand), but is there any way to improve the quality at the expense of memory?
    I'm using mac and convert them to pict files first. The quality is a little better than jpg and gif. Still, the treo's 12 bit screen is will not be as nice as a 16bit or hi res. I'm sure handspring did the tradeoff or the 12bit screen for the sake of quicker screen response time for web viewing and improved battery life.
    Originally posted by Preston
    JpegWatchLite came with snappermail... I couldn't figure out an easy way to get the pictures onto my Treo...
    Perhaps ease of installation is what you get when you buy the full version, but the lite version seems to work fine.
    Here's a short "How To" on HotSyncing jpegs, but it only describes how to get them onto a memory card. Maybe it's possible to get them directly into Treo memory if the files are small enough?

http://www.handwatch.com/handwatch/f...pegFileHotSync

I use SplashPhoto and prefer it to HS Photo Album. If the Treo were high (higher) res, I'd use AcidImage, but the 160X160 screen makes photos barely worth the effort.
    I like FireViewer a lot. I am using it with my Treo 270 and it works well. You can zoom in and out of pictures, redirect them and change them right on your Treo. It comes with a FireViewer Image Editor for your desktop (Windows or Mac) and you can convert pictures to the pda format with it.
    m00se
    Originally posted by scrinch
    Another alternative is FireViewer, which is a viewer for still images, html documents, and even video. You can use it as freeware or pay and get more functionality. It compresses jpegs (etc...) into a proprietary format for storage in memory, yet allows you to zoom and pan a full image on your Treo, unlike SplashPhoto which forces you to crop the image to 160 x 160 pixels. The desktop software which converts images for import onto the Treo is simple and intuitive, as is the SplashPhoto desktop software.
    Ditto! I like FireViewer a lot too!
    m00se
    i used the free HS photo album until i saw the difference in quality with splashphoto. yes the pictures are larger, if that is a consideration. i still seem to have plenty of memory left so it depends on what you need and are using elsewhere.

i would also point out that you can reduce the size of the splash pictures somewhat by playing with the color depth settings when you import the pix
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    SnapperMail's Demo comes with JpegWatchLite. It reads jpegs off the SD Card of my Treo90. It offers numerous zooms. Very basic, but the images are really nice looking.
    Originally posted by kin
    Pics converted by Splashphoto is around 75K large. Too big in my opinion.
    It really depends on the complexity of the image. I have spashphoto images from 28k up to 84k and all sizes in between.
    Originally posted by Preston
    JpegWatchLite came with snappermail, and it has the ability to display a JPEG directly. The advantage here is that a 160 X 160 file is more like 8KB rather than 40KB. This is a pretty major advantage, especially for those of us carrying lots of pictures of our kids.
    This is a very good idea. With that said, last night I e-mailed my original 160 x 160 jpegs to myself and then retrieved them via snappermail -- about 2 minutes for 10 images -- I don't have nor do I need gprs due to my cingular rollover minutes, voice minutes are cheaper (basically free) than gprs on cingular.

Anyway, I then compared jpegwatchlite to splashphoto. Image quality appears to be the same and you can hide the buttons in jpegwatch to have the full screen devoted to the image just like spashphoto. The only noticeable difference between splash and jpegwatch was the slower loading time between pix in jpegwatch. I think I can live with this since I'm only using a fraction of the storage space with jpegs.

I think we might have a winner here...
    interestingly, i just looked at some of the documentation for splashphoto. it handles jpgs also, and indicates the exact issues talked about above - that the jpgs are much smaller but will take a few seconds to decompress and view.

on the other hand, it says that jpg's can only go in 'external memory' so might not work on the treo 300 because all the 300's memory is internal?

added a few minutes later:

well, 8 bit images with splashphoto are pretty much the same to look at as 16 bit images, and, coincidentally are half the size, though not as small as the jpg's. still, a worthwhile savings so i re-did my album. saved about a meg of space on 48 pics!

once again, learning new stuff thanks to treocentral!
    Last edited by aarons12; 01/03/2003 at 09:20 PM.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast