1.    #1  
    Greetings All-

I am heading to both London and Paris in January...and I know there has been lots of talk about buying/renting sim cards in Europe.

Does anybody have any suggestions on if and how I can buy rent a sim card?

Has anybody had any success with travels to europe with the 180?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated....

or should I just rent a phone.?????

Thanks in advance..

alex
    stageworks@usa.net
    Alex,

Not sure who your carrier is, mine is T-mobile. I had no trouble using my 180 in the UK and the Netherlands. Was able to make calls and use SMS. I couldn't get my GPRS working, but then again, at the time I was there (October) there was no official release of the patch except in Asia. I'm pretty sure that the only places you can't use the 180 is in Japan and Korea. I know it won't work in Japan, as just went through withdrawal last week while in Yokohama.

John
    Yes, you can use your Treo 180 in Europe and Most of Asia (except for parts of Korea [CDMA] and Japan) since the treo is 900/1900 mhz.

You can purchase prepaid SIM Cards from just about any mobile phone store in town and just pop it in your Treo since the Treo's are shipped unlocked.

Have fun on your trip - I had no problem using SMS and making calls on my Ericsson T28 (900/1900) when I went last year.
    You can also ask your carrier to enable international calling and roaming. The charges can be steep (Cingular = $2 min., others cheaper) however, you have your same number. Depends on how many calls you're going to make and receive...

My ISP has international dialup numbers so they were local calls. Not sure about GPRS...

Have a great trip!
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    T-Mobile doesn't charge for enabling international roaming and has a set fee in Europe of $.99/min, roaming charge. T-Mobile claims that in the countries where they have a presence (UK included, France is not) you can use GPRS. I have used my 270 through T-Mobile in both UK and France as a phone with no problems. I have no GPRS experience there since I was there before the upgrade. Good luck, have a nice trip.
    If you searched the Discussions, you would have found my 'Travels with Treo in Europe' thread. Lots of info there.

Look here;
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...o&pagenumber=2
    Last edited by jposin; 12/18/2002 at 12:09 PM.
    I'm also heading to England next week. I've already activated my world-class roaming with T-Mo, and hope that my GPRS works when I get there. If I can do SMS and e-mail, I can live without talking to anyone for the short while I'll be there.
    I have a "European" Treo 180 and was NOT able to use it in the USA!! grrrr
    Any ideas why?
    Originally posted by ZeeZo
    I have a "European" Treo 180 and was NOT able to use it in the USA!! grrrr
    Any ideas why?
    Yep. The Treo is a two-band GSM phone; the version sold in the US works on 900/1900 Mhz, and the European version runs at 900/1800 Mhz.

With the exception of a two companies that have small patches of 850 Mhz, the North American GSM network runs at 1900 Mhz. As a result, the US version can be used in Europe where there's 900 Mhz service, and the European version can be used anywhere there's 900/1800 Mhz (i.e, most of the world)... but it won't work on the US 1900 Mhz network.

--Larry
    <I>Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.</I>
    What about the 900Mhz that is compatible to both? Isn't there coverage in N.America since the US Treo has that frequency included? (You mention 850Mhz but not 900Mhz)
    No, there is no 900 Mhz GSM service in North America. Until recently, it was strictly 1900 Mhz... a few months ago, AT&T and Cingular opened up a few markets at 850 Mhz, since they have licenses for that frequency and 1900 Mhz was already in heavy use there. There are very, very few phones that work at 850 Mhz; they're basically custom-made for these two companies.

The 900 Mhz capability of the Treo serves no purpose in North America. It's only there to allow the phone to be used elsewhere in the world.

--Larry
    <I>Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.</I>
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Cross-posted in hopes of a response :-) sorry....

I'm still confused about GPRS while traveling. T-Mobile's oh-so-useful website lists the "partner" that supplies wireless internet in the U.K. as "T-mobile UK." duh...

Unfortunately they operate at 1800 Mhz, outside the range of my little American-bought treo. Does this mean that I can/cannot use GPRS in London? Or just that whomever I roam with can charge me as much as they like?

Also, from a technical point of view, has anyone successfully USED t-mobile internet in England? How do you connect (if it's as easy as going to prefs > network > t-mobile internet > connect, I'd be surprised) to roaming partners' internet services.

I COULD have just called up t-mobile's customer service line with this info, but I figured I wanted a RIGHT answer :-)

Thanks in advance,
    --Steve
    Just make sure you have world wide roaming enabled, and that you have them verify your sim chip will roam.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Alli -

Some more detail would be greatly appreciated!

Were you able to connect using that method?
    Who were you roaming on?
    How were you billed?

etc...

Thanks,
    --Steve
    I had an old sim card - T-Mo hadn't informed me of that when they enabled my world wide roaming. I was stuck for a week in London with no phone. Oh well - I'm ready for the next trip.
    Sorry to tack on another question here...but here it is.
    I'm from Canada (hello down there!) and use Fido...which has crappy reception in Canada..nothing outside of the big cities. I'm planning to go to Europe in a couple of months and am trying to figure out what the coverage will be like. I know for a fact that Fido uses T-Mobile in the US so is it therefore safe to assume that they will also use T-Mobile in Europe? To be specific, France and Italy (I know that nothing has really good reception in Italy..even the TVs and Trains). But is T-Mobile halfway decent? Also I'm looking to buy one of those new Nokias that don't exist in N. America while I'm over there and after reading about the dual-band mayhem, is it safe to assume that a tri-band phone safely bypasses all of this?
    Thank you all in advance,
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    Greetings from an expatriate Canadian!

First off, you'll almost certainly get far better reception in Europe than you do in Canada. GSM is the only game in town over there, so it's available pretty much everywhere. You'll need to call Fido and have them enable international roaming at least two days before you leave, if you haven't done it already.

Second, no, the fact that your phone will work with T-Mobile in the US doesn't mean that you're restricted to T-Mobile in Europe. Fido has roaming agreements with most of the providers in Europe (see Fido's European roaming chart). That means that you'll get a choice of provider... your Treo will automatically lock on to the strongest signal, or you can pick the one you want from the Options/Select Network menu on your Treo. Bear in mind that for Fido users, the cost of a call varies depending on the provider... the link above will tell you what the prices are. Of course, since the Treo is a 900/1900 Mhz device, you won't see any 1800 Mhz networks.

As to whether you'll be able to use GPRS services... that's anybody's guess. Only Fido knows for sure, and they're not telling. Their web site says nothing about GPRS overseas. Try asking them about it, but don't be surprised if you can't find anyone who understands what you're talking about.

Since I'm a US-based T-Mobile user, my experience wouldn't tell you a whole lot. I can say, though, that in London, a T-Mobile US account will only allow GPRS service with T-Mobile UK. Since that's an 1800 Mhz network, a north american Treo won't do it. I was able to use GPRS by inserting my SIM card into my other phone, a tri-band Samsung S105.

One possible solution is to purchase a SIM from a local mobile phone dealer when you arrive in Europe. You can often buy a pre-paid SIM that costs far less for calls to Canada than your Fido SIM.... and some of them work with GPRS, too. Be sure that the SIM you purchase works on a GSM 900 network, though.

A tri-band phone will give you the best of both worlds... it'll work everywhere there's GSM service. If you're buying a new phone, ask whether it's "SIM locked". A locked phone will only work with a Fido SIM... the third-party SIM trick described above won't work. You may be able to persuade Fido to unlock the phone after you've purchased it... they may only do it after a few months of ownership.

If the phone has an IR interface, or if a serial cable is available, you may be able to use it as a wireless modem with a laptop computer. I found that my Samsung phone worked quite well with my Dell while I was in London (though I'm dreading the bill when it arrives!).

--Larry