Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP Slate 2

If HP didn't know what they were doing when they released the TouchPad... this confirms it. More expensive than the TouchPad at release? Thicker?

Please, HP, sell webOS.
    dadueler likes this.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I see Microsoft all over this. HP is clearly scared of the Microsoft.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I see Microsoft all over this. HP is clearly scared of the Microsoft.
    Agreed. I'm not sure why they would release this product unless MS asked them to. Is it just me, or do enterprises not care about what their tablets look like or how much they cost? It seems to me that if HP were to introduce enterprise services into the TouchPad and webOS, they would have a bigger hit, especially at that price point.
    nikipod and k4ever like this.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    What do you guys think?

"HP replaces the Slate 500 with the Slate 2, adds Swype and cuts the starting price to $699"

HP replaces the Slate 500 with the Slate 2, adds Swype and cuts the starting price to $699 -- Engadget
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by safeguard3 View Post
    The purpose of the Slate clearly is to run legacy Windows software in a compact tablet form. Unless you can natively and these programs from day one, some enterprise customers won't even consider it - no matter what the fire-sale price is.
    But is it worth that premium for what one could consider mediocre hardware? I'm really asking, I have no experience from an enterprise standpoint (and yes, I know that invalidates my opinions on it). I mean, if HP tried, couldn't they get webOS to work the way enterprise users might want it to? It's an R&D thing, it seems, and this is definitely the easy way out. But .... it just seems so bad, the Slate 2, that is.
    That thing makes my TouchPad look positively svelte.

I think I actually pity anyone forced to carry this around for business purposes.
    It means HP still doesn't have a clue & webOS doesn't stand a chance.

The TouchPad out sold the original HP slate in the few weeks it was on sale before it was discontinued; but instead on canceling the Slate, they cancel the TouchPad.

After the firesale frenzy, the TouchPad now has over a million units in the wild, but instead of reviving it, they decide to release a 2nd gen HP Slate. The 1st slate probably sold less units than Blackberry Playbook, but HP is still doubling down on Windows.

I guess they care more about keeping things good with Microsoft than trying to see their own mobile platform succeed. Unfortunately, I don't see a bright future for webOS.
    They're for different markets and don't really compete with each other, or with the iPad/Android tablets for that matter.

That being said HP still has no clue what they're doing with webOS and that sucks.
    hrminer92 likes this.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    a tablet at $699 that runs Windows which can be obtained for $300 with a keyboard?

FAIL
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    ... I mean, if HP tried, couldn't they get webOS to work the way enterprise users might want it to? It's an R&D thing, it seems, and this is definitely the easy way out. But .... it just seems so bad, the Slate 2, that is.
    No - HP bought webOS to invade consumer market. But, they couldn't manage to upgrade webOS performance to acceptable level by consumer market criteria so they start talking about enterprise market. Even if webOS is ready for enterprise, ther is no apps to run on it.
    It looks clumsy, outdated, and low tech. I will hide this device if I need to travel with it. I won't even take it out for business meeting. It is out and not cool.

In fact, my Touchpad is running very well and productivity is getting better each and every day. Especially, more and more useful apps are now available to TouchPad. I think Enyo is doing something good to WebOS. I try one of the enyo app in my Pre 3, the UI and feel are the same with Touchpad.

It is unfortunate that WebOS future is an uncertainty, but I certainly hope that WebOS will be get out of the cage and be free for any organization who is interested in making the platform a success.
    It looks clumsy, outdated, and low tech. I will hide this device if I need to travel with it. I won't even take it out for business meeting. It is out and not cool.

In fact, my Touchpad is running very well and productivity is getting better each and every day. Especially, more and more useful apps are now available to TouchPad. I think Enyo is doing something good to WebOS. I try one of the enyo app in my Pre 3, the UI and feel are the same with Touchpad.

It is unfortunate that WebOS future is an uncertainty, but I certainly hope that WebOS will be get out of the cage and be free for any organization who is interested in making the platform a success.
    Microsoft puts the foot down and everyone obeys. What a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    a tablet at $699 that runs Windows which can be obtained for $300 with a keyboard?

FAIL
    On spot! i guess this Slate thing is just something they don't expect to sell (not even to business, their intended target). It's just another case of a product you must have, for your company to fill a mandatory space.
    They had to be working on this before they even cancelled the Touchpad
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    They're for different markets and don't really compete with each other, or with the iPad/Android tablets for that matter.

That being said HP still has no clue what they're doing with webOS and that sucks.
    I don't think so. Enterprises of the 80s and 90s even 2000's are like dinosaurs they would buy nothing but IBM / Microsoft. For the last few years that has changed (thanks Steve Jobs). I see many use iPhone with their Microsoft Exchange.

99% of the enterprise work involves content consumption i.e. reading PDF , Excel, Powerpoint,Word. With the VPN support any iPad or Android tablet can do that ( thanks to the Documents to Go/Quickoffice ). So the point of selling this device is "pointless".

Finally do you really use a stylus or stylii ?

HP is s**& scared of Microsoft. Thats all it is.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The purpose of the Slate clearly is to run legacy Windows software in a compact tablet form. Unless you can natively and these programs from day one, some enterprise customers won't even consider it - no matter what the fire-sale price is.
    You mean Microsoft Word / Excel / Powerpoint / Visio / Project ? Those are the only native applications. And who would want to compute Excel document on a Tablet? Or draw a flowchart using visio ? Create a project schedule ? The answer is nobody but a Microsoft nut. Seriously I would like to know the sales numbers on this piece of antique.
    Continue expensive...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I don't think so. Enterprises of the 80s and 90s even 2000's are like dinosaurs they would buy nothing but IBM / Microsoft. For the last few years that has changed (thanks Steve Jobs). I see many use iPhone with their Microsoft Exchange.

99% of the enterprise work involves content consumption i.e. reading PDF , Excel, Powerpoint,Word. With the VPN support any iPad or Android tablet can do that ( thanks to the Documents to Go/Quickoffice ). So the point of selling this device is "pointless".

Finally do you really use a stylus or stylii ?

HP is s**& scared of Microsoft. Thats all it is.
    Well this makes sense. It doesn't make me any happier about webOS's future prospects, but if HP is really that afraid of MS, then this is what they should do. Again, this product doesn't make any sense at all to me, especially with what you've said about iPads and Android tablets being able to handle most enterprise work.

HP really needs to sell webOS.
    k4ever likes this.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    What this really demonstrates is: 1) What it cost to manufacture a tablet - it's not $150; 2) What HP really considers a standard product margin - not break even and try to make it selling apps.

The reason why HP gave up on the Touchpad so soon was probably that, even at $500, the margins were shaved in order to match the price of the iPad. HP quit the TP because they were so far from being profitable that it didn't make any sense to even try to give it a go for a year or whatever. After all, what other reason is there to give up so soon?
    The main reasons is Microsoft (me thinks). HP makes almost half of their money from PC division, so if they take up on the webOS, it will unsettle Microsoft's relation with HP.

HP said they only make 5% of margins on PCs, which translates to 25 dollars on a 500 dollar laptop. They are doing it in bulk. So they get a discount on parts plus discount from Microsoft on the software. If HP brings webOS tablets at $ 250- $ 300 range they can break even nicely. They make few dollars on the APPS, the charging dock, the case. Once they reach 2 million plus devices the platform will have momentum. With the current firesale HP has about a million devices on consumer hands. If they resurrect the hardware and improve the software they will more than likely sell another 500 K of Touchpad 2s. This will worry Microsoft to death. They have to catch up with Apple and Android , their best bet is HP .

SHOW ME ONE HARDWARE MANUFACTURE WHO HASN'T SIGNED UP WITH ANDROID Phones or Tablets ( not printers ) ?

The answer is HP.

Microsoft wants to do a Nokia with HP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast