Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree52Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    A puzzle has many parts. It's the lack of those parts that lead to "No Sale" signs at just about every point of sale with the launch price.
    HP decided to build and sell a top line Pad. They put it up for sale at competing prices with the other top line Pads.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    HP decided to build and sell a top line Pad. They put it up for sale at competing prices with the other top line Pads.
    Still one dimensional thinking. Try this, what did the Touchpad lack that contributed to it's demise. Just having a tablet for sale is not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Most likely never. There is always a reason why it failed, but it's never the products fault.

Blame it on the sunshine, blame on the moonlight, but never on the boggie.
    yep it's much easier to blame someone else then to admit you were wrong, or that you failed, or that you have to step your game up. Blame is easy. It requires no self assessment and it requires you do no hard work.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I think from them not selling or outright killing webOS by now, and HP being coy about its future, that even they don't see solid numbers in their Windows tablet strategy. So far webOS has sold better on tablets than Windows has and Windows has a bad reputation in the mobile space right now.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You have a point.
    However they do not need to drop MS. Look at Dell and Lenovo, Acer and Asus. They all make Microsoft products and hold significant market share. Yet they partner with Android. The point is HP is timid to take up on the task of making webOS products. I love webOS, I want HP to continue, however HP sticking with Microsoft can be dangerous.If anything they should think about making Android tablets too if Win 8 fails.
    Partnering with android isn't the same as owning and developing it. Google decided it could live without Apple so they went ahead and developed android. We've seen what that did to the Google/Apple relationship. HP has to be willing to go to war with MS if they want to continue with webOS. MS isn't going to sit back and say "nice job HP" if webOS is hurting Windows 8. I'm sure MS has identified a number of issues to contest in court if HP succeeds with webOS. HP needed to decide they could live without MS before they bought webOS. I don't think they gave it any thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    Partnering with android isn't the same as owning and developing it. Google decided it could live without Apple so they went ahead and developed android. We've seen what that did to the Google/Apple relationship. HP has to be willing to go to war with MS if they want to continue with webOS. MS isn't going to sit back and say "nice job HP" if webOS is hurting Windows 8. I'm sure MS has identified a number of issues to contest in court if HP succeeds with webOS. HP needed to decide they could live without MS before they bought webOS. I don't think they gave it any thought.
    Live without Microsoft? I don't think Google is a great comparison because Google was not dependent on apple to sell it's services. In many senses HP needs a relationship with Microsoft. I don't think to "live without Microsoft" is remotely feasible. The entire world lives with Microsoft. Most stuff sold by PSG is with a Microsoft operating system. You stop selling Microsoft and companies stop buying you computers. Imagine your Ford and you buy 10000 computers every year and all those computers run windows software. plus you've got other computers that are old still needing to run windows software. They probably have custom made software to do Ford specific manufacturing. I saw one of those shows where they machine autoparts from some program like Autocad. I'd bet Ford machines many parts in development and manufacturing and plenty of systems still use windows. You can't expect them to replace whole systems. And the same concern would go with every client they have. Maybe they have automated assembly programs or inventory management or merely licenses for all their current computers to use Microsoft Office, or Photoshop in their designer areas. And HP comes along and launches a strategy by which they "live without microsoft?" Well Ford is dependent on Microsoft software to run it's business so Ford goes to Dell, or Lenovo or someone else. And that's a story of companies the world over buying from HP. It would tank their business. And that's just PSG, They got a server business that probably needs to support Windows servers as well. I believe one of their business is supporting Windows servers. So not just selling server hardware that can or does run windows applications but sending people to support servers on site. And what about their government business. They have government contracts and government clients many running windows based systems. I mean i HP wants to destroy a relationship with Microsoft it would harm their company immeasurably.

And at this point you have to look at the relative importance of the two businesses. You've got webos, losing money and requiring billions of outlay to make it work in several years, maybe, but currently providing nothing but big losses. On the others side you have maybe 99.9% of HP's revenue. I think if you're gonna burn bridges and alter your business they'd be foolish to risk a Microsoft relationship on what amounts to (i'm speculating obviously) but .1% of their business. This is a company making about 1/3 of it's revenue from PSG, and webos amounts to a tiny tiny tiny fraction of that 1/3. The rest of the company's revenue is really printer ink, enterprise services, financial and some others. I think people on precentral think WebOS is like 75% of HP when it's really, profit wise, 0% since it's a loss, and revenue wise still quite quite small.

Don't get me wrong. I personally don't really dig windows 8 and the metro look especially on phones. It's not bad by any means. It's just not my style. I actually prefer icons and i don't like the flat colored tile look. In fact one reason i didn't buy a G1 when i was on tmobile and was drawn to webos was the original android icons and color scheme was flat and boring where as webos looked more iphoneish with rounded glossy 3D icons. And i'm not sold that windows 8 tablets will be a big hit. If i was betting i'd bet they do pretty good but, i wouldn't put the house on it.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 11/09/2011 at 11:09 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    10 Nov. (Aus) 2011.

'..Hewlett-Packard was also weak, shedding 5.4 per cent..'

Hhmmm>>

Cookies must be enabled | The Australian

I totally agree with your Microsoft comments. Unfortunately Microsoft is such a poor (as in attitude) and unscrupulous player in any market they are in that a major partner like HP has to "go to war" with them in order to bring a competing OS to market. Unlike Dell, Samsung, and other PC/Android tablet makers, HP step over the line with Microsoft by saying that they would put webOS on all their devices, to include PCs. HP should have been prepared for some backlash from Microsoft because of this statement. One of the scenarios should have been life without Microsoft, which I will even admit is not a viable option for HP's bottom line. However, producing mobile devices (tablets) with Windows on them as HP's only mobile OS and strategy is just plain dumb.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567