Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
    Actually I'm not surprised about this... HP and Microsoft have been faithful Microsoft allies for many years.. I wouldn't be surprised if the left over TouchPads and Pre3's will be released with Windows OS sooner or later..
    Also wonder if they will then offer any free Windows 8 mobile os transfers on present webOS devices.. Can you imagine that to be happen..?.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    This is not an old habits! HP's main product is MS windows PC! This is their main product. So eventually they will make windows 8 tablet. What is wrong with that? Do you really think HP can survive without selling any MS windows product? If they decide to drop MS, I'll bet their stock will drop more than 50% this time around.
    But that IS an old 'habit'! That's exactly my point!

Perhaps the 'new mobility bed-partner' of Palm/webOS is the one to get ditched therefore!

Nothing 'wrong' with that.. it's just the result of confused thinking!

I'd love a Touchpad on Win8!!

3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post

I'd love a Touchpad on Win8!!

SO you'd love a tablet running Windows 8, right? Or are you saying you want HP to keep the current TouchPad hardware offering and slap Win8 on it.

Everything I have read, HP failed on the HW from for the touchpad. And of course, pricing a new technology at the same price as the established market leader didn't help.

I would hope HP has a new design - with video out, etc for their next round of tablets. If for the enterprise, video out is a must IMO
    well, here comes the HP slate 2 with win7
    Slate 2: HP tries tablets again with Windows, Swype, and a stylus for $699 | The Verge

And here below is an interesting article on Win8, could be trouble in paradise, eh?
    Of course if HP fails with Win8 and has killed webOS already, would be too late...

"Like many Windows Phone users, I thought a tablet running the Windows Phone OS would be a home run. After seeing a few early demos, I assumed this was what "Windows 8" would give me, and I was raring to put my iPad on eBay and jump on the Windows 8 bandwagon.

But it turns out Windows 8 isn't Windows Phone on a tablet; it's the Windows Phone interface on top of Windows on a tablet. By trying to be all things to all people, Microsoft is running the risk of pleasing no one at all.

...Instead, via its current approach, Microsoft is adding a layer of complexity to Windows 8 with the "Desktop" application/mode, which will allow legacy Windows applications to run on Intel-based tablets (and ARM-based ones, though only after recompilation). Switching between the Desktop app and the Metro environment is jarring, testers have said. And users who've tried the Windows 8 Developer Preview are already clamoring for ways to hide the Metro UI and stick with a non-touch-centric way to navigate.

According to a number of leaked reports, Microsoft is going to remedy its dueling-OS problem, possibly even as early as next year, when Windows Phone 8 comes to market. Rumor has it that Microsoft is going to switch out the Windows Embedded Compact guts in the Windows Phone OS and replace that layer with a slimmed-down, MinWin-ified Windows 8 core. Will this switch do anything to improve Microsoft's tablet OS strategy? Not much for users, but maybe a bit (after some Windows Phone app porting pain) for developers..."

Http://redmondmag.com/articles/2011/...-would-be.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Why are you guys so surprise about HP is going to make windows 8 tablet? HP always made windows product. They are number 1 PC maker in the world. Guess which OS they used on their PC?
    Nobody should be surprised. They've said they were gonna do it. HP became a leader selling hardware with software from Microsoft. Not surprised they keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Why not make one tablet and let the customer decide what OS they want.
    They did make one tablet. And the customer decided.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    gartner says that HP sold 2 mil tablets ahead of android in its first year
    Do you have a source for that? And bigger question does Gartner have a source?

Every estimate i've seen says at they built between 1 million and 1.25 million for the initial production run and only 200k for the second. And that's the total amount of touchpads that were sold. Which means at most they are talking around 1.5 million units.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 11/03/2011 at 01:45 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    honestly why make this so hard. Be the first to introduce a mutli-boot tablet... Include it with webos, android and windows 8.. It gives the ultimate flexibility and doesnt sound hard. We already have gotten android on a toucpad.. Dont see why windows 8 couldn't join. Hell we have a psp with a 2.0 GHz quad processor, so im pretty sure tablets will shortly become very powerful and having choice gives them a 1 up against other competitors.
    "you have a source for that? And bigger question does Gartner have a source?

Every estimate i've seen says at they built between 1 million and 1.25 million for the initial production run and only 200k for the second."

google it, I believe I saw the teaser for the full report and it was on gartners website but can't be sure. Gartner published after the second run so their numbers might be accurate. It could be hp upped the run when they saw the demand to either get larger installed base to sell webos and also make suppliers happy or to have bestbuy goose up hp pc sales thru the bundle. The latter stinks to me--its like saying you're ugly and I wouldn't date you but please lend me some money.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    "you have a source for that? And bigger question does Gartner have a source?

Every estimate i've seen says at they built between 1 million and 1.25 million for the initial production run and only 200k for the second."

google it, I believe I saw the teaser for the full report and it was on gartners website but can't be sure. Gartner published after the second run so their numbers might be accurate. It could be hp upped the run when they saw the demand to either get larger installed base to sell webos and also make suppliers happy or to have bestbuy goose up hp pc sales thru the bundle. The latter stinks to me--its like saying you're ugly and I wouldn't date you but please lend me some money.
    I've done that, can only find a high figure of one million.
    Table 1
    Worldwide Sales of Media Tablets to End Users by OS (Thousands of Units)

2010 2011
    Apple 14685 46697
    Android 2512 11020
    WebOS 0 2053

Source: Gartner (September 2011)

Gartner Says Apple Will Have a Free Run in Tablet Market Holiday Season as Competitors Continue to Lag
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Thanks, now I can evernote it.
    I might be wrong, but I remember Todd Bradley in his interview mentioned about one million webOS users!?
    he did, that's why I thjnk this is the second round, as yet unsold
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So if we say two million, that's still a drop in the bucket in the global context - especially when you consider that even if someone licenced WebOS tomorrow and followed Nokia's model of taking @12 months to get handsets to market, then even if churn was less than 3% per month (which is a very low figure) - then you aren't actually buying into a market of that many people.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    So if we say two million, that's still a drop in the bucket in the global context - especially when you consider that even if someone licenced WebOS tomorrow and followed Nokia's model of taking @12 months to get handsets to market, then even if churn was less than 3% per month (which is a very low figure) - then you aren't actually buying into a market of that many people.
    yes android was 2 mil in 2010, a drop in the bucket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    SO you'd love a tablet running Windows 8, right? Or are you saying you want HP to keep the current TouchPad hardware offering and slap Win8 on it.

Everything I have read, HP failed on the HW from for the touchpad. And of course, pricing a new technology at the same price as the established market leader didn't help.

I would hope HP has a new design - with video out, etc for their next round of tablets. If for the enterprise, video out is a must IMO
    I'm saying that I'd love Win8 (WHEN it's 'ready'!) on my existing HP Touchpad Tablet.. dual boot with webOS.. and by then 'ICS' might be 'ready' too!

So will it get to Homebrew 'porting' webOS onto standard HP Win8 future-tablets?
    Interesting.

Don't get me wrong.. I don't ever wanna 'lose' my webOS!

But a drop in the tablet bucket with an astonishingly rapid growth in smartphone share already well underway. The 2011 rise in tablet share is following on from Android's position as leader in global smartphone OS share.

webOS simply doesn't have the market share traction to drive a similar rise in year 2 for webOS tablets.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Context is all - Android in 2010 had and has strong support from a large corporation (Google), you had multiple ODMs jumping on board to licence it, lots of interest, surging developer numbers, devices available on multiple carriers in multiple countries etc - this all lead to share taking off.

So expect for the fact that WebOS has uncertain support from it's corporate parent, nobody seems interested in licensing it, little or no interest from the public, low developer numbers mainly consisting of one-man bands, nobody is making any hardware, nobody is selling any hardware - I guess you could draw a parallel between the two, both OSes are used on devices with screens that makes sounds and both have versions of angry birds available.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I wonder if HP executives have figured out they have a whole lot of trust to rebuild somehow, regardless of what OS and what tablet they put out.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    I wonder if HP executives have figured out they have a whole lot of trust to rebuild somehow, regardless of what OS and what tablet they put out.
    That would make sense, given that they appear to have turned the clock back 2 years with this Slate!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    That would make sense, given that they appear to have turned the clock back 2 years with this Slate!

Can we go back three years and tell Hurd to try and behave himself?
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast