Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    webOS is not shutting down.

Recent rumors speculating from an irreponsable site that generalize here

HP to hold on to PC division posted Oct 28, 2011 at 07:18 BST UK,have said ONE webOS employee told them : “"There's a 95% chance we all get laid off between now and November, and I for one am thinking it's for the best,", is circulating now around the web tech sites, taking it as valid source.

Dear reader I remember you that yesterday Oct 27, 2011 in a worldwide public webcast HP Investor Relations - Event Details Meg Whitman, President and Chief Executive Officer; Cathie Lesjak, Chief Financial Officer ; and Todd Bradley, EVP of the Personal Systems Group, recently answered to the question we transcript from HP themselves and made by

Bill Shope - Goldman Sachs – Analyst

Okay, great.Thanks, guys. In light of this decision, can you give us an update on how you're thinking about your tablet market strategy, both near term and longer term?

Todd Bradley - Hewlett Packard Co. - EVP, Personal Systems Group

Well Bill, this is Todd. That thinking hasn't changed.We're continuing to focus on a Microsoft-based-- the tablet that we have and the ones that will develop on Windows 8.

I think from a webOS perspective, that's kind of the next piece of work to complete. I know Meg and I are working, Meg, the whole team of Meg, Cathie, myself, Jon Rubinstein working very, very hard and as quickly as we can to make the right decisions about that product.

Meg Whitman - Hewlett Packard Co. - President and CEO

Let me just add, I think we need to be in the tablet business, and we are certainly going to be there with Windows 8. And so we're going to make another run at this business. And we're going to make a decision about the long-term future of webOS within HP over the next couple of months. And as soon as we make that decision, we'll let you know on that.

Because many people have said to me, well isn't the webOS decision just completely tied to PSG? The answer to that is actually no. webOS is, has obviously use in the PSG business, but also in other businesses that we have. So it's actually-- we have to make a more holistic decision around webOS, which coming to a town near you soon, I hope.

Bill Shope - Goldman Sachs - Analyst
    Just to clarify your review of webOS, you mean the software, not the webOS tablet.

Meg Whitman - Hewlett Packard Co. - President and CEO

Correct, correct.The software. Right, the software.

Bill Shope - Goldman Sachs - Analyst
    Great.Thank you very much.

So, if you are a responsible webos fan or writer , donīt believe others sources crap. Thank You.

Download Full transcript Source from HP : http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTI=&t=1
    LCGuy likes this.
    Still 'hanging in the air'
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    this means nothing as the future of webos still doesn't look good in the hands of hp. now if another oem buys them like htc or samsung ill feel more confident. i think sometimes you guys hold onto hope that is not there anymore.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Still 'hanging in the air'
    Yeah It is incredible that acredited tech sites are spreading this rumor and just for one UK source , ONE man, apparently. Probably the Guardian made up all this story to have traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Yeah It is incredible that acredited tech sites are spreading this rumor and just for one UK source , ONE man, apparently. Probably the Guardian made up all this story to have traffic.
    it's not a rumor, we all had an idea this might happen. the only saving grace for webos is if another company buys it and utilizes it, not just absorbs it for patents.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    it's not a rumor, we all had an idea this might happen. the only saving grace for webos is if another company buys it and utilizes it, not just absorbs it for patents.
    well, this video I just uploaded on youtube Bloomberg:Todd Bradley webos shut down unfounded rumor

Original post on PC front page: http://www.precentral.net/todd-bradl...ed-rumor-video
    Todd Bradley: webOS shut down an "unfounded rumor" | PreCentral.net

Oops, sorry akitayo! Didn't see you link above.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

We are getting into tinfoil hat stuff when we accuse a paper like the Guardian of simply making up stories, especially something (within a UK context) as unimportant as WebOS - it's a mistake to confuse how bottom-feeder tech sites work with reputable newspapers. If Charles Arthurs ((an established journalist with a good record) says that is what someone in HP told him, then I have no reason to not believe that is the case (which of course has no bearing on if the rumour is actually true or not).

Otherwise, you are saying he's a liar - if you feel like that, he's on twitter, you should approach him and say so.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    We are getting into tinfoil hat stuff when we accuse a paper like the Guardian of simply making up stories, especially something (within a UK context) as unimportant as WebOS - it's a mistake to confuse how bottom-feeder tech sites work with reputable newspapers. If Charles Arthurs ((an established journalist with a good record) says that is what someone in HP told him, then I have no reason to not believe that is the case (which of course has no bearing on if the rumour is actually true or not).

Otherwise, you are saying he's a liar - if you feel like that, he's on twitter, you should approach him and say so.
    If the writer from the Guardian was indeed using this one HP employees OPINION, then that is what he should have lead his article with, and explained; anything else beyond that, if not stated as an opinion by the author, was journalitically inapproriate, and his credibility will be tarnished from this day forward.

If, on the other hand, he has another source to corroborate the title and message that his article was about, now would be a good time to post a rebuttal to HP's statements above.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

it means you will see windows8 tablets, maybe a window8 phone.

they may use webOS to run printers, toasters, cameras, or their new auction platform, code name MegeeeBay.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    If the writer from the Guardian was indeed using this one HP employees OPINION, then that is what he should have lead his article with, and explained; anything else beyond that, if not stated as an opinion by the author, was journalitically inapproriate, and his credibility will be tarnished from this day forward.

If, on the other hand, he has another source to corroborate the title and message that his article was about, now would be a good time to post a rebuttal to HP's statements above.
    Your is an argument about attribution and has some validity - that's a world away from "he made it up" which is a completely different kettle of fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

they may use webOS to run printers, toasters, cameras, or their new auction platform, code name MegeeeBay.
    Listen CAREFULLY to him on the video:

He said "We decided to stop making WebOS tablets"

He even hesitated before the word "tablets", implying an intentional use of THAT word, instead of LA's "WebOS hardware".

I think smartphones are back on the table, along with other consumer/enterprise combined use products... they just need to figure out how to make it all fit in and work together.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Your is an argument about attribution and has some validity - that's a world away from "he made it up" which is a completely different kettle of fish.
    I would say that showing opinions as facts is a great way of manipulation. Said this, I think he was basing his report on the WOR post by Arthur, so nothing more to say.

EDIT: I hardly can believe that an UK reporter can have inside info from the engineering team of an US company.
    Newness Developments apps:

14.    #14  

yes and tell him bad source this time my friend.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

that was funny lol
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I would say that showing opinions as facts is a great way of manipulation. Said this, I think he was basing his report on the WOR post by Arthur, so nothing more to say.

EDIT: I hardly can believe that an UK reporter can have inside info from the engineering team of an US company.
    Good point , because the webOS software chiefs left are in the USA as well as the bunch of webos developers of that division.
    The problem is not The Guardiuan printing some rumor based on what a disgruntled employee might have said.

The problem is readers not understanding that a rumor is a rumor.
    It's the same with the silly Amazon-is-interested-in-webos rumor. Somebody said it, somebody published it. Some other sites copied that rumor. Didn't make it fact.

Also regarding the umpteenth "buying webos for the patents" comment above - sigh - that's like buying apples to get peaches.

webos is a product that can be sold.
    Patents are a product that can be sold.
    But that does not one equal or include the other.

One could have bought Palm last year just for the patents and ignore webos. That's because Palm owned both assets. But nobody buys an OS to get patents. It's 2 different things. There's no point in buying webos to get patents - you just buy the patents.

Anybody buying webos - is going to want webos.
    They might also buy a batch of patents to go along with it - if they still need some defenses for all the IP racketeering going on atm - because media companies have corrupted US legislation for years and the US PTO is giving away silly patents like candy on Halloween.

If they just want the patents that used to belong to Palm and now belong to HP - they will just buy the patents (assuming HP is willing to sell them).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  18.    #18  
    Now I donīt understand why if every tech site know that was an unfounded rumor they donīt reverse the news as fast as they did with the rumor first ???
    Now I donīt understand why if every tech site know that was an unfounded rumor they donīt reverse the news as fast as they did with the rumor first ???
    Please guys, stop calling it unfounded! It is not unfounded at all and that is why tech crowd and readers are eager to accept it as most possible outcome. This article's foundations are solid as stone. Calling this article a lie is possible only if there is some truth, and if this truth is opposite from this lie. so, do you know the truth?

Bradley stated this is unfounded and this way he lied big! Only that. He lied to us.
    I don't care what bradley, whitman, apotheker, Dewitt, mckinney, even kerris, or any other hp person says anymore. You can lump jon rubinstein in that mix as well.

they have all lied, intentionally or not, to us from day one. The only truths that have come out since hp has been under control is that the pre2 would be available on verizon in february, the veer would be available in the spring, and the touchpad would be available in july. Everything else, with regards to hp's plans for webos, have been far from the truth.

at this point, what I do know is true, is that hp has no clue what they want or can do with webos, other than they are done with hardware for webos for the forseeable future. While they are sitting on their rearends, webos developers small and big are leaving, and may not come back. Consumers are leaving. And loyalists are getting frustrated beyond anything.

hp, gimme back my webos.
    muyoso likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast