Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Yeah It is incredible that acredited tech sites are spreading this rumor and just for one UK source , ONE man, apparently. Probably the Guardian made up all this story to have traffic.
    There is a second source --- techcrunch reported it even earlier.

HP’s Layoffs Taking Effect, ~500 Gone From San Diego Group | TechCrunch
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    There is a second source --- techcrunch reported it even earlier.

HPs Layoffs Taking Effect, ~500 Gone From San Diego Group | TechCrunch
    That was posted on the 11th. If it was actually true at that time, I think we would have had a confirmation by now.

I think we are still firmly in speculation mode. No real information, people are running with whatever rumor they want, waiting for an actual fact to come along.
  3.    #23  
    That news was finally related to webOS hardware staff.
    webos not dead, its also not moving forward.... its basically in a coma and on life support. just waiting for someone to pull the plug.
    The Bard likes this.
  5.    #25  
    The upcoming first devices that could come , not smartphones or tablets, are printers and PCs for 2012 and some announcement for Nov 21st for webOS on the cloud.

I wish to be wrong on smartphones and tablets.
    Its up to Ruby to lead his team-Jaaksi and the others-- to innovation and to fix the issues. Meg and Todd respect him but he has to make the case for webOS features and products that will sell units in the marketplace. Bradley will not debut another product in PSG that he doesn't think will be competitive. Interestingly, allthingsD wrote in Aug that Ruby was pushed into debuting the tablet even after he told Leo it wasn't ready.
    But that is water under the bridge now.

The one positive is that Ruby may have Bradley and Whitman to help him now with figuring out execution--he was great on ideas but lacked completeness in terms of execution and go-to-market, Apotheker let him dangle, but Whitman will be communicating with him, and additionally, webOS higher profile now with those 1 million firesale tablets selling so quickly.
    Jaaksi wrote on his blog that they are working on core o/s engine and I hope they succeed in creating a compelling leap forward and prove all the naysayers lack vision.
    I sincerely hope that you are correct in your assessment of webOS above. I believe that the talent within HP does exist to make it successful, and that they can do it given the proper support. What I hope for the most is that whatever Jon needs to prove to Meg, he does it in a way that makes her a believer.

Keeping the hope alive!
    This popped up the same day as the Guardian piece, but is independently sourced:

AppleInsider | All prospects for an internal HP webOS largely destroyed

Pull quotes:

"HP is going to have hundreds of smart and influential people scattered throughout the Valley who will be devoted to hating HP."

"HP as made many, many enemies in angry Palm employees and fans," the insider noted, adding that while HP could decide to hold onto webOS as in internal effort, "HP's credibility with developers, business partners, retailers and so on is shot, thanks to [management's incompetence]. I don't think developers would listen to us unless we got a fresh start as part of another company."

I guess we'll know soon enough where webOS publicly lies.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    The upcoming first devices that could come , not smartphones or tablets, are printers and PCs for 2012 and some announcement for Nov 21st for webOS on the cloud.

I wish to be wrong on smartphones and tablets.
    WebOS does not make a lick of sense on a PC in a windows 8 world - I can't believe that HP will put it up against that Juggernaut - if you thought it took a beating from Android and iOS that would be nothing compared to taking on Windows on it's home turf.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Well, there goes Phil McKinney.

Phil McKinney Goodbye HP
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    WebOS does not make a lick of sense on a PC in a windows 8 world - I can't believe that HP will put it up against that Juggernaut - if you thought it took a beating from Android and iOS that would be nothing compared to taking on Windows on it's home turf.

Yeah that is true. However,I am guessingn here, HP might load some PCs with a webOS app for a dedicated purpose ,I mean not as a full OS on them.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post

Phil McKinney Goodbye HP

It is a pitty HP is loosing some excellents thinkers . I felt he did not have enough support for some innovations as fast as he expected. Like the flexible displays that Nokia and Samsung are coming with next 2012.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post

Phil McKinney Goodbye HP

i think this is a sign that people are leaving a sinking ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    i think this is a sign that people are leaving a sinking ship.
    Well technically he was there before HP purchased webOS, so I would say that his departure is not as telling as someone like Richard Kerris, but I could definitely see how this could be a bad sign.
    New future for WebOs as server platform?

Project Moonshot: HP Plans Low-Power Servers

At least we might get a few more apps ;-)
    No.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12