Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    First and foremost in my mind is the palm profile, including the back up of contacts and other info and the app store.

Anyone know if these would be slated for termination if they shut webos down entirely or if HP would run them indefinitely? Do they have any obligation to the user base to keep them active?

And lastly, it seems like these devices (phones especially) need access to the servers to work. So if HP shuts them down, is that the end of the phones?
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I believe there are steps already displayed at webOS-Internals that outline a plan for this, could be wrong, but seems I recall this.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Yes. There is a thread (stickied) for it too.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    i respect rod but it would be fruitless to keep your webos device if hp pulls the plug and removes the palm app store and profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i respect rod but it would be fruitless to keep your webos device if hp pulls the plug and removes the palm app store and profile.
    If webOS is put out to pasture and the app store shut down, is it really a big loss? It isn't like there are hundreds of new apps being loaded every day. The biggest loss would be ensuring you could get copies of your apps should you need to Doctor your device.

It hardly becomes fruitless... The device will still work, still check email, still surf the web, still run whatever you have on it. it just isn't going to have much added to it should that come to pass. At its worst, it becomes a very impressive feature phone with a strong homebrew community.

Eventually, everyone will have to move on, but that could be a year or two from now. The real diehards will probably hold on as long as possible, and the fairweather fans will jump as soon as they can.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)