Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Business insider is reporting webOS will be shutdown:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/hp-ma...vision-2011-10

Update: There are multiple articles on this topic today. Each blogger has added his/her own 2 cents.

GigaOm just published one of their own:
    http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...d-of-the-road/

shortened URL:http://bit.ly/vOoVfG

However, they added a late breaking update to the end of their doomsday article:

"UPDATE: Tony Prophet, SVP of operations for HP’s PC division told GigaOM today the WebOS discussion is on-going. “It’s a similar process to the one we did with the PC business and the WebOS is being thoroughly evaluated including the software and product facets, the whole thing.” So we have to see what Meg and the HP decide finally."
    Last edited by rlopin; 10/28/2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Bummer.... WebOS is great, they just need to work with it some more and I really do think they can take on Android and IOS with no issues.
    Very sad....
    Just a rehash of the rumour Guardian reported
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Business insider is reporting webOS will be shutdown:
    HP May Shut Down WebOS Division
    whatever happened to "invent" @ HP ??? That is so lame
    WebOS still makes sense.
    cincytouchpad likes this.
    Perhaps Webos was just so unoptimized that it would take too much work to clean it up and there really probably isn't room for more than 3 competitors in the field of mobile OS. IoS and Android are already established and there is no way that Windows won't be.
    Windows mobile 7 isn't established. Everyone knew winmo 6 was utter garbage. Will 8 get established? Who knows? Do you know anyone with a Zune?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    bluenote and NorbB like this.
    tbh even if they did, who cares, what would it change? how would we be affected any more now than when they announced their original disaster.

After their insane announcement for dumping everything, my touchpad/pre3 continue to operate/do what i want, and even if they "officially" kill webOS rather than the unofficial lip service/rubbish their spouting atm, funny old thing, my touchpad/pre3 will still continue to operate/do what i want.

basically, nothing will change, its somethign to gossip about at most, but thats about it.
    Weaser999 and treodoc755 like this.
    HP is still considering what to do with WebOS; internally they have said they will have some kind of 'holistic' answer in a couple of weeks.

I suspect they will put bits of it in servers and other hardware, but not Touchpad
    Wow the end of Webos. Was so sad when Palm OS went . Even sadder about Webos. Even though I use Android more I did love WEBOS. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    tbh even if they did, who cares, what would it change? how would we be affected any more now than when they announced their original disaster
    if the division was sold off instead of shut down, there's a chance of seeing more mainstream apps from content companies.
    And, lets let WebOS become OPENSOURCE Meg !!!
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    mcwtlg likes this.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    It would be nice if they open sourced the OS if they completely kill it, but that's probably a pipe dream since they paid $1,000,000,000 for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BooR4dley View Post
    It would be nice if they open sourced the OS if they completely kill it, but that's probably a pipe dream since they paid $1,000,000,000 for it.
    At risk of exposing my ignorance, can I ask what webOS has that is proprietary and not in the public domain under the Linux GPL agreement.

Both Android and webOS are Touchscreen instantiations of the Linux operating system. So, what is unique and HP "Intellectual Property" other than perhaps Application design?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BooR4dley View Post
    I dont know if it would be a pipe dream, I mean, how much of that would they get back if they were just going to "Kill" it? I would say at least make it open source if your not going to do anything else with it.
    wow. not suprising we know about them laying off employees. What the article doesn't clarify is if there are any interested buyers.

I've felt much better now that I've jumped to android. Lotsa great apps there and can dual boot your TP to CM7 android and still have webos and I keep my pre2 on wifi. And I don't have to wake up to bad news about my phone's company doing something stupid each day.

Hopefully they open source enyo so phonegap type projects can use it. Hopefully webos dev's can port all their apps over quickly using phonegap....

what else can we do...
    I wonder if Meg or any of the other geniuses on the board and in management have actually use webOS?

They should be able to open source it, and yet still retain some kind of rights to it should it develop into a viable platform???
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    And, lets let WebOS become OPENSOURCE Meg !!!
    Given my lack of tech-savvy, could somebody explain the possibilities if, in fact, HP allowed webOS to become "open source"?!
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Loving my HTC Trophy with Windows phone 7.5..I miss what WebOS could have been, but I don't miss what it was.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast