Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 105
Like Tree23Likes
  1. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #61  
    Maybe. Likely. But not necessarily: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3228663
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  2. #62  
    <<threads merged>>
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Meh, I don't care anymore... I did all the way up until last week I think. Then I woke up this week and all the sudden, I don't care.

    Frankly, I'm so worn out from all the drama... if it dies, it dies and I'll move on.
    I think this makes the most sense. I mean, does it really matter if webOS is killed off at this point?
  4. #64  
    My letter to Meg.


    Ms. Whitman,

    Please ensure that something is made of the innovative and revolutionary platform that is webOS. To see such a magnificent piece of software in constant limbo is dishearten to say the least. Obviously, HP is aware, that the future of computing shifts more everyday to a mobile landscape. HP has the potential to be a major player in mobile computing, but not via fragmenting Android even more; or by relying on the uncertainty that is Windows 8. Try using a Touchpad aside an iPad 2 and see for yourself the advantages webOS offers user from its unique user interface. HP did not fail with webOS as a platform, HP failed with webOS for the exact same reasonís it did under Palm Inc.; lackluster and inadequate hardware. Re-launch webOS on solid hardware at a price that undercuts the iPad 2; somewhere between $200.00 and 350.00. Use HPís huge marketing arm to push the product to a new user base. HP can make this a reality; Android tablets are still in their infancy and fragmented just as much as their smart phones; while the iPad is the Mercedes of the tablet market. As the user base grows so do the developers, the homebrew community, and all other facets that strength any given platform. All-in-all if HP is no longer interested, than allow webOS to be open source; there is a very dedicated community of enthusiast that love pushing the platform to new heights. In all seriousness please take into consideration the potential still found in webOS. In closing I wish you the best at turning HP back towards greener pastures.
    carldc, joen05 and Squirrel Dog like this.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    to be fair, i probably won't be very nice to her in my video. im sickened that hp bought this just to ruin it.
    play the game well. if you don't play nice, your video will never make it past the intro.
  6. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by dougieshizzle View Post
    My letter to Meg.


    Ms. Whitman,

    Please ensure that something is made of the innovative and revolutionary platform that is webOS. To see such a magnificent piece of software in constant limbo is dishearten to say the least. Obviously, HP is aware, that the future of computing shifts more everyday to a mobile landscape. HP has the potential to be a major player in mobile computing, but not via fragmenting Android even more; or by relying on the uncertainty that is Windows 8. Try using a Touchpad aside an iPad 2 and see for yourself the advantages webOS offers user from its unique user interface. HP did not fail with webOS as a platform, HP failed with webOS for the exact same reasonís it did under Palm Inc.; lackluster and inadequate hardware. Re-launch webOS on solid hardware at a price that undercuts the iPad 2; somewhere between $200.00 and 350.00. Use HPís huge marketing arm to push the product to a new user base. HP can make this a reality; Android tablets are still in their infancy and fragmented just as much as their smart phones; while the iPad is the Mercedes of the tablet market. As the user base grows so do the developers, the homebrew community, and all other facets that strength any given platform. All-in-all if HP is no longer interested, than allow webOS to be open source; there is a very dedicated community of enthusiast that love pushing the platform to new heights. In all seriousness please take into consideration the potential still found in webOS. In closing I wish you the best at turning HP back towards greener pastures.
    Couldn't've said it any better myself!
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  7. #67  
    Still awaiting my read receipt lol
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Should hate rubi tOo IMO... He had no follow through and not able to make the adjustment fast enough.
    Yes, Rubi was no perfect leader. I remember watching the Think Beyond event where he introduced the Veer and had to nod his head and say "....yeah!... come on.." in order to get applause.

    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I bet hp didn't realize what they bought too until they got it... Hence all the delays at hp too. Until they got sick of it and kicked rubi aside. I'm surprised to read some rumors that meg is talking to rubi to discuss Webos.... If I were her I wouldn't let him near Webos within 100 miles.
    HP Should be sure of what they're getting before they drop a billion dollars. For that they are at fault. Someone else could have taken the webOS putty and molded a brighter future.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Windows mobile 7 isn't established. Everyone knew winmo 6 was utter garbage. Will 8 get established? Who knows? Do you know anyone with a Zune?

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I own a zune hd and love it! Don't knock it because it wasn't popular. For its intended use as a pmp, it is the better device hands down.. Same with webos, just because it wasn't widely adopted/popular doesn't mean that its not a great OS.
    tinnedfood likes this.
  10. #70  
    http://gigaom.com/2011/10/28/webos-n...d-of-the-road/
    UPDATE: Tony Prophet, SVP of operations for HP’s PC division told GigaOM today the WebOS discussion is on-going. “It’s a similar process to the one we did with the PC business and the WebOS is being thoroughly evaluated including the software and product facets, the whole thing.” So we have to see what Meg and the HP decide finally.
  11. #71  
    donm527 raises an interesting question. I wonder if HP fully realized the state webOS (poor performance, almost non-existent developer support, questionable development frameworks, etc.) was in before they bought Palm.
  12. #72  
    http://gigaom.com/2011/10/28/webos-n...d-of-the-road/
    UPDATE: Tony Prophet, SVP of operations for HPís PC division told GigaOM today the WebOS discussion is on-going. ďItís a similar process to the one we did with the PC business and the WebOS is being thoroughly evaluated including the software and product facets, the whole thing.Ē So we have to see what Meg and the HP decide finally.
  13. #73  
    honestly i think hp is better off, if staying with tablets, going with windows 8... let microsoft do all the developing and hp just do the hardware and they wont commit to webos.

    the reason is for hp to be competitive, they need to still develop the ecosystem... apps and such. also they need to move fast year after year keeping up with what the competitors come up with.

    even though they spent a billion on webos, they just spent 10+ billion on the software company... they are not gonna take any focus on that or they will look like idiots and destroy their company if they cant make that purchase work.

    keeping pc division is not a big deal cause the department is pretty much self sufficient.

    if they did commit to webos with what i just mentioned above, imo it's gonna be lame effort again because they will be focusing on their new purchase.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    http://gigaom.com/2011/10/28/webos-n...d-of-the-road/
    UPDATE: Tony Prophet, SVP of operations for HP’s PC division told GigaOM today the WebOS discussion is on-going. “It’s a similar process to the one we did with the PC business and the WebOS is being thoroughly evaluated including the software and product facets, the whole thing.” So we have to see what Meg and the HP decide finally.
  14. #74  
    Lets all chant this together...OPEN SOURCE!!!!! OPEN SOURCE !!!! OPEN SOURCE!!!!

    maybe they will hear us...
  15. #75  
    I agree. I don't want HP to do any more doubling down on webOS, I want them to sell it or open source it. The worst thing would be for them to just dissolve it.
  16. #76  
    Until more (i.e. any) evidence comes up I'll treat this the same as the equally baseless Amazon-Want-To-Buy-webos rumor - not very credible.

    The two most likely (IMHO) futures are:
    1) HP sells webos - at greatly reduced price if need be (couple hundred million is better than 0 - retaining some limited licence for themselves - for printers and to keep options open - and at the very least have some pressure to apply to MS in negotiations)
    2) It slowly dies while HP claims it cares and puts it on a couple of high-end printers

    That HP just kills it right away doesn't really compute.
    At the very least it has bargaining value in negotiations with MS over W8 ("we need better licence conditions for W8 - or we could just go back to use webos instead").
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  17. #77  
    It will be really sad if they do kill webOS. It will be really annoying if they don't fix the TouchPad audio distortion bug first...

    webOS is the only mobile OS I like. It will be sad to see it die, especially at the helms at the company that really had the money and internal expertise to get it to prosper.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullathomas View Post
    Lets all chant this together...OPEN SOURCE!!!!! OPEN SOURCE !!!! OPEN SOURCE!!!!

    maybe they will hear us...
    I'm a big open source fan. Almost everything I use is open source.

    But unlike desktop software - mobile OS are not easily interchanged on smartphone devices.

    Putting an open source OS on a smartphone without any carrier support (and likely carrier hostility) doesn't look very viable to me.

    Sure open source webos would be better than no webos at all. It might prolong it's death for a year or 3. But to have a viable future it needs a big player behind it that has connections and can sell to carriers.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Given my lack of tech-savvy, could somebody explain the possibilities if, in fact, HP allowed webOS to become "open source"?!
    they wouldn't even if they could, their backing windows all the way, open sourcing a potential rival product would be counter productive for them.
  20. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    I own a zune hd and love it! Don't knock it because it wasn't popular. For its intended use as a pmp, it is the better device hands down.. Same with webos, just because it wasn't widely adopted/popular doesn't mean that its not a great OS.
    Don't know much about Zune as I don't touch Micros*** products. But, I am one of the few people I know (OK, I know one other who has one of these) who has a Cowon iAudio X5L. Very nice, solid HDD-based media player. Even better running rockbox.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions