Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105
Like Tree23Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    wow. not suprising we know about them laying off employees. What the article doesn't clarify is if there are any interested buyers.

    I've felt much better now that I've jumped to android. Lotsa great apps there and can dual boot your TP to CM7 android and still have webos and I keep my pre2 on wifi. And I don't have to wake up to bad news about my phone's company doing something stupid each day.

    Hopefully they open source enyo so phonegap type projects can use it. Hopefully webos dev's can port all their apps over quickly using phonegap....

    what else can we do...
    Oh idk...maybe invite the entire Board outside for a little rotten-tomato throwing-fest maybe? I'd buy a truck-load of rotten fruit for the privilege of giving them a piece of my mind.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    to be fair to meg, i don't blame her. it's not her fault, shes new and trying to clean up the mess that leo left behind. her goal is too save money and do whats best for her company.
    She was already on the board before she replaced Leo
    un_designer likes this.
  3. wmurch3's Avatar
    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    #44  
    Shoot, and I just bought a Pre 2 off contract for 100 bucks. I'm good with it not getting any updates so I hope they keep the servers running for palm profile and the app market.
  4. #45  
    I reaaaallly REALLY *effing* hate HP. I hate Leo A and I hate HP. I disliked them before they picked up Palm because I felt their products weren't deserving of their respective prices. HP is such a boring bloated company with no creativity or imagination.

    I didn't like it when I first found out that they were picking up Palm. I really wanted a company with mobile expertise and drive to get Palm. My only hope was that HP could throw its wallet and Palm could do what Palm does - only faster and larger. Alas, no, HP makes terrible horrible decisions throughout. Meg will be the 3rd CEO to make more fail decisions on webOS' behalf.

    I'm now at the point were I just hope other handset and tablet makers adopt as much of the premium webOS ideas as possible.

    Give me good synergy, fluid multitasking, and Just Type and I might be ok.
  5. #46  
    I don't think they can open source it without giving away secret info or running into issues with the licensing. But i honestly have no clue, can anyone explain that possibility.

    I will be sad to lose it. Never in my long legged life was I so attached to a device. Gave me an idea what those apple fans must feel. I kinda wonder if any UI will be that special ever again. Either way, I have my pre to prove it:)

    I wish all who worked there the best. It must be hard to lose what you worked so hard at, friends you made, and to lose your job.

    :(

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  6. brshoemak's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    convince her to try out the TouchPad for a week.
    Make sure you tell her to change the logging level and clock it to 1.5Ghz first.
  7. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    to be fair to meg, i don't blame her. it's not her fault, shes new and trying to clean up the mess that leo left behind. her goal is too save money and do whats best for her company.
    She was a part of the brain-dead Board that hired Leo w/o even meeting the guy. I give her no slacks.
  8. #49  
    Should hate rubi tOo IMO... He had no follow through and not able to make the adjustment fast enough.

    Steve jobs didn't want apps... The hacker community showed the power and forced it on him.

    Rubi was following iPhone with webapps and should have seen and made the switch faster. But he couldn't... Webos was always suppose to run webapps... No API support for nothin and you can see... It required a rebuild of Webos to do it and all you got was excuses while they pretend all is well when they were scrambling.

    I bet hp didn't realize what they bought too until they got it... Hence all the delays at hp too. Until they got sick of it and kicked rubi aside. I'm surprised to read some rumors that meg is talking to rubi to discuss Webos.... If I were her I wouldn't let him near Webos within 100 miles.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    I reaaaallly REALLY *effing* hate HP. I hate Leo A and I hate HP. I disliked them before they picked up Palm because I felt their products weren't deserving of their respective prices. HP is such a boring bloated company with no creativity or imagination.

    I didn't like it when I first found out that they were picking up Palm. I really wanted a company with mobile expertise and drive to get Palm. My only hope was that HP could throw its wallet and Palm could do what Palm does - only faster and larger. Alas, no, HP makes terrible horrible decisions throughout. Meg will be the 3rd CEO to make more fail decisions on webOS' behalf.

    I'm now at the point were I just hope other handset and tablet makers adopt as much of the premium webOS ideas as possible.

    Give me good synergy, fluid multitasking, and Just Type and I might be ok.
  9. #50  
    Don't panic!

    This could mean they have a buyer or they simply don't want to spend any more money on webOS until they decide what exactly what they are going to do with webOS. I just hope they keep enough devs on board to take care of any potential webOS issues.
  10. DizWhiz's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    wow. not suprising we know about them laying off employees. What the article doesn't clarify is if there are any interested buyers.

    I've felt much better now that I've jumped to android. Lotsa great apps there and can dual boot your TP to CM7 android and still have webos and I keep my pre2 on wifi. And I don't have to wake up to bad news about my phone's company doing something stupid each day.

    Hopefully they open source enyo so phonegap type projects can use it. Hopefully webos dev's can port all their apps over quickly using phonegap....

    what else can we do...
    Who needs webOS now? With Android the dominant platform right next to iOS there's barely enough room for RIM/WinPhone7.

    I'm just going to keep using it until/if ICS is ported to in sometime next year.
  11. #52  
    Synergy has been in Windows Phone and Android for a while now.

    Fluid mutitasking is just done differently depending on your need...Windows Phone of course has the cards mixed with iOS style of multitasking.

    Just type...well universal search part of it is on everything else....i never use the twitter just type stuff though on my Touchpad.
  12. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    wow. not suprising we know about them laying off employees. What the article doesn't clarify is if there are any interested buyers.
    Well, they did say:

    Despite HP's attempts to find a potential buyer or licencee for webOS - which ran on the short-lived TouchPad - there has been no apparent interest outside the company. Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, told the Guardian on Thursday that he had no immediate interest in buying or licensing it after completing the acquisition of the rest of the Sony Ericsson business. And early suggestions that HTC might purchase it have also fallen away.

    Some have suggested that Amazon might buy webOS, seeing the presence on the Amazon board of ex-Palm chief executive and HP executive Jon Rubinstein, who previously worked for Apple. But there is no indication that Amazon is interested in acquiring another operating system; it is using its own version of Google's Android software for its new Kindle Fire device.
    Which isn't really new information, I guess.
  13. #54  
    I'll start getting angry when they start shutting down the profile servers and I get kicked out of my phone.
  14. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I'll start getting angry when they start shutting down the profile servers and I get kicked out of my phone.
    Didn't webOS Internals come out with some survival guide?
  15. Aganar's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #56  
    Installed CM7 alpha2 on my Touchpad last night. Not regretting it now in the least. I only wish the HP employees would release their own version of android before heading out the door. We know they've got it.
  16. #57  
    Mods: Please could you merge the two threads currently running on ths topic.
  17. bearda's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    At risk of exposing my ignorance, can I ask what webOS has that is proprietary and not in the public domain under the Linux GPL agreement.

    Both Android and webOS are Touchscreen instantiations of the Linux operating system. So, what is unique and HP "Intellectual Property" other than perhaps Application design?
    The Linux parts of webOS are pretty minor really. You'd be looking at:
    - Anything graphical. The launcher, all the applications, preferences, etc. The browser's rendering engine is open, but the browser itself isn't.
    - The development platform. Mojo, Enyo, the works. Anything that takes a chunk of binary and turns into into a button on the screen isn't open source.
    - Anything dealing with the cellular radios.
  18. #59  
    Meh, I don't care anymore... I did all the way up until last week I think. Then I woke up this week and all the sudden, I don't care.

    Frankly, I'm so worn out from all the drama... if it dies, it dies and I'll move on.
  19. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    #60  
    On the other hand... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/te...ref=technology (see 4th paragraph from the bottom)
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions