Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    This can be stupid because its like a 180 deg turn, but after the HP turn back with their decision I think everything is possible now...

So after reed the link on the post bellow, I was thinking if there is possible to rewind to the original Palm Brand but subsidized from HP now only as software company and PSG responsible to make hardware like PC's, printers etc?
    Maybe that "new Palm" could also try to negotiate with 3rd party companies to build WebOS smartphones.

I could live with that =)

\/

"Although CEO Whitman did imply that one possibility still being considered for webOS was a transfer to another division (evidently one that does not produce tablets), toward the end of today's analysts' conference, she gave an awfully strong hint that her final inclination would be to somehow transfer webOS out of the company altogether."

HP: PC Business Not Moving Anywhere, WebOS 'the Next Piece of Work'
    Last edited by pgarcia; 10/31/2011 at 01:29 PM.
    spcecil and Rnp like this.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I've always believed the "Palm" brand should have been maintained. And I've always argued that it was not too late for webOS to thrive in the mobile marketplace. However, I it's over now. HP has killed webOS simply by leaving it in limbo for so long that the competition has now grabbed on to many of the features that made webOS such a pleasure to use.

I'll enjoy my Pre2 and TouchPad for a couple years, but I don't expect webOS to be around when I'm ready to upgrade next time.
    i just want someone to obtain this OS and make something out of it. it would be a total waste of 4 years if webos was to just die off.
    joen05 and spcecil like this.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Thats such a sad thought I'm trying my hardest to get my hands and a Pre 3 just so i can live the dream as long as I can.

I'll enjoy my Pre2 and TouchPad for a couple years, but I don't expect webOS to be around when I'm ready to upgrade next time.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Yup, Palm is WebOs, and Palm screwed it all up locking into Sprint for so long. That made them miss out on Verison as they chose Droid instead. Palm then was in desperate need of a white knight to dig out of trouble. HP could have done it. But then HP got into trouble because they didnt like their CEOs girlfriend. So HP totally fumbled the ball and they just dont have the ball any more. The ball was taken away by other companies and HP cant play any more. There are no more WebOS phones, no more WebOS tablets, no more apps like the cool stuff written for Iphone, no WebOS eco system, no way for HP or anybody else to make any money on WebOS. Its dead. All there is now are Palm patents that could be usefull in defending against lawsuits. Somebody will buy out HP soely for the patents at some paltry figure like $200million, and flush WebOS and the hardware design suport down the comode. And with Steve Jobs dead, I suspect Android and all of its various flavors will be the king of the mobile internet world forever. Leaving a trail of unlikely has beens behind in its dust. Bill Gates no longer runs Microsoft because he knows that its over. Im just wondering when he will choose to cash out his stock. Im sure he is thinking he has to do it eventually to safeguard his charity proceeds. Its very difficult to quietly dump Billions in stock without causeing wall street to freek out over it. :O
    Wow to see a webOS sighting on a new TV show is unheard off...

If you watched Grimm last night as it premiered he had a...

Well see for yourself!
    probably not... But I am rocking the original sprint pre wallpaper on my veer. Gotta love it
    Maybe Palm brand could resurrect if some company as ZTE or Hauwei buys webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Maybe Palm brand could resurrect if some company as ZTE or Hauwei buys webOS.
    I don't know about them...Chinese companies tend to be very focused on the bottom line and the odds for making profit are better if they just use Android. Even if they are intent on trying to distinguish themselves from the competition, they can also still do that with Android since it is open source. I totally don't see a Chinese company buying webOS.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,474 Global Posts
    Maybe in the US it might still have some value, outside of the US? not so much... the last really successful palm product in the UK and europe was maybe the early-mid 1990s with the palm pilots ?

As for ZTE and Hauwei - look at their sales figures - they don't need the palm name.
    BTW, a 360 degree turn would have things heading in the same direction they are now... What would be needed is a 180 degree turn, or maybe a 90 degree turn. Just sayin
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    BTW, a 360 degree turn would have things heading in the same direction they are now... What would be needed is a 180 degree turn, or maybe a 90 degree turn. Just sayin
    At this point I'd settle for anything over 40 degrees!
    marcedhk likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Maybe in the US it might still have some value, outside of the US? not so much... the last really successful palm product in the UK and europe was maybe the early-mid 1990s with the palm pilots ?

As for ZTE and Hauwei - look at their sales figures - they don't need the palm name.
    Sales figures are not enough. Brend recognition has some value also, and ZTE or Hauwei doesn't have recognizable or valued brand name in US. I used this two companies just as example and I don't believe they intend to purchase Palm in first place.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,474 Global Posts
    Sales figures are not enough. Brend recognition has some value also, and ZTE or Hauwei doesn't have recognizable or valued brand name in US. I used this two companies just as example and I don't believe they intend to purchase Palm in first place.
    Which is why it makes limited sense in the USA but outside? I'd say ZTE are better know in 2011, hell I have a ZTE phone.
    ZTE has low cost/low value attached to it's brand name even in east Europe. I bet in UK is the same. Sooner or later they will have larger aspirations and try to go up. This is in corporate nature. There is probably dozen Chinese companies we never heard of with enough cash in pocket to buy webOS and Palm brand without blink. Thing is, HP did everithing in their power to associate Palm and webOS with failure, so probbably no one sane will buy it.
    ZTE has low cost/low value attached to it's brand name even in east Europe. I bet in UK is the same. Sooner or later they will have larger aspirations and try to go up. This is in corporate nature.

I see what you mean. The thing is though, they can simply buy the brand NAME by itself for just a few million and let the actual company and technology go belly up, eg. Circuit City, Napster, CompUSA. That wouldn't change anything for us webOS fans...
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pgarcia View Post
    "Although CEO Whitman did imply that one possibility still being considered for webOS was a transfer to another division (evidently one that does not produce tablets), toward the end of today's analysts' conference, she gave an awfully strong hint that her final inclination would be to somehow transfer webOS out of the company altogether."
    Not as fast as I'm transferring webOS out of my family. Our 4 Pre's (Pre minuses on Sprint) are all being replaced by iOS and Android.

Even if HP did an about face, it's not worth risking anything on them again. They can't device a decent game plan and execute it, and there would be no guarantee they wouldn't reverse course again.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    I see what you mean. The thing is though, they can simply buy the brand NAME by itself for just a few million and let the actual company and technology go belly up, eg. Circuit City, Napster, CompUSA. That wouldn't change anything for us webOS fans...
    I agree. I was strict to Palm brand.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

Palm brand is still very remembered in Europe too...
    Secretly hoping Jon is trying to broker a deal to give him back Palm :-)

-- Sent from my White HP Touchpad
    pgarcia likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast